Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
sayainprince7991
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey All,

I'm only a week away from picking up my doberman pup! I'm flying from NJ to Oregon to pick him up and working to make sure I have everything I need before I leave.

One of the issues I'm coming across is related to his dog food.

The Breeder feeds him Eukanuba Premium Performance 30/20 - However, currently this is not available anywhere. I believe the manufacturer is changing the packaging so it is not likely to be available anywhere before I pick up the puppy. Here is the link to this dog food - https://www.amazon.com/Eukanuba-Premium-Performance-Sport-Adult/dp/B08D2F4ZCR/ref=sr_1_1?crid=3EWRYO0GBEH94&dchild=1&keywords=eukanuba+performance+30/20&qid=1600701717&s=pet-supplies&sprefix=Eukanuba+performance,pets,145&sr=1-1

The Breeder recommended going with this as an alternative as it has a similar amount of protiens/fats - https://www.amazon.com/Eukanuba-Puppy-Small-Breed-Pounds/dp/B000QSORLO/ref=sr_1_5?dchild=1&keywords=Eukanuba+puppy&qid=1600701809&s=pet-supplies&sr=1-5

I respect the breeder a lot so I'm willing to go with this but just wanted to see what folks here thought about this. This dog food is for small breed puppies and I'm not sure if this is the best alternative.

Additionally, Would this be a more appropriate alternative? - https://www.amazon.com/Eukanuba-Premium-Condition-Athletic-Pounds/dp/B00ICQ6DFK/ref=sr_1_1_sspa?crid=3N8DHPZEW51IW&dchild=1&keywords=eukanuba+performance+dog+food&qid=1600701890&s=pet-supplies&sprefix=Eukanuba+performance,pets,147&sr=1-1-spons&psc=1&spLa=ZW5jcnlwdGVkUXVhbGlmaWVyPUEyVkZKQUVNOEg3TDRXJmVuY3J5cHRlZElkPUEwNzY1ODQwWTREOVFIRVVQUlFNJmVuY3J5cHRlZEFkSWQ9QTA3MjM3NzAzUkg2WlBCSlgyNTRRJndpZGdldE5hbWU9c3BfYXRmJmFjdGlvbj1jbGlja1JlZGlyZWN0JmRvTm90TG9nQ2xpY2s9dHJ1ZQ==

I just dont want the puppy to deal with too many changes considering he'll be moving from Oregon to NJ. Its a big change and I was hoping I could keep the dog food consistent but it looks like thats not an option.

Also, I want to eventually and slowly transition the puppy to Purina Pro Plan that most folks here use. But for now, which of the above options do you all feel would be best?

I really appreciate all of your help!

Thanks,
Sim

·
Registered
1,967 Posts
If you trust your breeder, DO WHAT THE BREEDER RECOMMENDS instead of asking a bunch of strangers that you have no knowledge of their experience.

Besides, there are 3 things you should not discuss on an internet chat list; Politics, Religion, and what to feed your dog. Everyone has a different opinion.

·
sayainprince7991
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
If you trust your breeder, DO WHAT THE BREEDER RECOMMENDS instead of asking a bunch of strangers that you have no knowledge of their experience.

Besides, there are 3 things you should not discuss on an internet chat list; Politics, Religion, and what to feed your dog. Everyone has a different opinion.
I do trust my breeder and I appreciate that.

Thank you

·
Big Lil pup
6,118 Posts
Hi Simer!

When picked up McCoy almost 6 years ago, Michelle had the pups on Eukanba Large Breed Puppy. She recommended that he stay on it for a while. After several months I asked her what food I should transition him to. I was told that if he was doing well on this kibble, just to keep feeding it. McCoy really thrived on it so I held off switching kibbles until he was 14 months. The transition was uneventful. Today he eats Purina Pro Plan with great success.

In addition, Chewy sells Euknuba products. Chewy (chewy.com) is an online pet supply retailer. I use them. It makes dealing with huge bags of dog food and 50+ stairs much easier! I usually get my delivery about 3 days after ordering.

But most of all... Congratulations on your (soon to be) new Foxfire boy!

John Lichtwardt
Portland OR

·
sayainprince7991
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hi Simer!

When picked up McCoy almost 6 years ago, Michelle had the pups on Eukanba Large Breed Puppy. She recommended that he stay on it for a while. After several months I asked her what food I should transition him to. I was told that if he was doing well on this kibble, just to keep feeding it. McCoy really thrived on it so I held off switching kibbles until he was 14 months. The transition was uneventful. Today he eats Purina Pro Plan with great success.

In addition, Chewy sells Euknuba products. Chewy (chewy.com) is an online pet supply retailer. I use them. It makes dealing with huge bags of dog food and 50+ stairs much easier! I usually get my delivery about 3 days after ordering.

But most of all... Congratulations on your (soon to be) new Foxfire boy!

John Lichtwardt
Portland OR

Thank you, as always, John!

·
Super Moderator
Hairy Dog, RIP Caesar, Katana, Kip, Capri
24,819 Posts
You might be able to ask your breeder to go ahead and start the food change now? That way, they might be able to pick up on any problems the pup has tolerating it before he has to cope with all the stress of moving. It usually takes a few weeks to change over, but at least he'd have a start with the switch.

·
Registered
3,748 Posts
I've been feeding Purina for about 3 years now. I've not had any issues switching from Puppy to ALF or from Sport to Focus. I would think Eukanuba would be similar. I think as long as you stick to the same MFR you should be fine switching.

I would encourage you to feed close to what the breeder was feeding and go with her suggestion.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts