Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
301 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've heard of people never using puppy food, puppy food for a year, or puppy food all their life. What do you do, and what do you feed?

·
Super Moderator
21,287 Posts
We fed large breed puppy formula until the age of one year, based on the advice of our vet. Shanoa did well on that and had no trouble transitioning to adult food at that point. She had nice, slow, steady growth, too.

·
Registered
16,038 Posts
Innova Large Breed Puppy Food is an excellent food for a doberman. As long as you are feeding an all life stages premium dog food you will do alright tho. The bag will say whether the food is an all life stages food or not.

·
Registered
3,942 Posts
Puppy food until 8 weeks of age.
Be very careful when feeding a high protein normal puppy food, they can cause too fast of growth which can lead to problems like pano.

·
Registered
193 Posts
We were feeding Merrick Turducken. He gained weight good, shiny coat, loved eating it. The only thing was he had soft serve poo. We ordered Fromm Chicken A La Veg, started a slow change over, and his very next poo was firm. Go figure.

·
Sea Hag
12,933 Posts
I've heard of people never using puppy food, puppy food for a year, or puppy food all their life. What do you do, and what do you feed?
I've never kept a puppy on puppy food past 4-5 months of age. After that, they go to adult kibble. The last puppy I raised was put on an all life stages food at 14 weeks, and thrived on that.

I feed what the dog does best on, and that varies by dog. Sometimes it takes trial and error to find the best food for each dog.

·
Alpha
2,797 Posts
I had Dillon on "adult" food at 5 months. Research on what ingredients are best and go by that more than what the name is on the bag.

·
Registered
1,848 Posts
I feed Kiss Eukanuba large breed puppy food. She is 15 months old. The only reason she is still on it is because I had bought a big bag and I'm not willing to throw it away.
She will be switching to adult all stage as soon as this bag is finished. We have a brand that is local that is said to be very good.

·
Registered
9,598 Posts
When I first had Dobes there wasn't much available in puppy foods and my vet had a huge clientele of Great Danes and recommended starting large and giant breed puppies on a quality adult food--for years all of my puppies were fed adult food from the time I got them (8-12 weeks). Then in the 90's some of the companies started making large breed specific puppy food--I had a couple of puppies on that up to 4 or 5 months and then switched them to adult food.

The last four Dobes I've had have come to me eating adult food which they were weaned on. I no longer bother with puppy food. Actually the last dog who was on puppy food in my house was a senior who was starting to have problems maintaining his weight during the winter (my house if pretty cold during the winter months) and he was on a diet of small breed puppy food and his regular diet of adult food. The small breed puppy food is more calory dense and that kept him in good weight.

The puppies are all living breathing eating machines and do fine on adult food.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts