Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone
I'm a new Dobbie dad from Taiwan
In here 80% of people got small breed so we don't have any large breed puppy food or adult dog food :cry::eek::eek:
So I only have the following options :
Which one do you recommend
my puppy will turn 4 months next week :)
he eat royal puppy food + Ziwi before
Publication Font Advertising Circle Brand
Font Magenta Publication Brand Screenshot
Dog Dog breed Carnivore Fawn Companion dog

·
Big Lil pup
8,613 Posts
Hi Wayne. Welcome from the Pacific NW. I see you can purchase Purina ProPlan products..

That is good. A lot of folks he feed Purina ProPlan in various formulas with great success. I have used PPP for years, and will with my next pup.One of the particular favorites is PPP Sensitive Skin and Stomach Salmon and Rice

But many others are popular also... The Sport All Life Stages, for example.

The main advice that might help you is that you really don't need to feed your 4 month old puppy food. In fact you are probably better off just going with an adult or all life stages formula like this:
Purina Pro Plan - Sport All Life Stages Active 26/16 Dog Food, 37.5-lb

BTW.. We always love puppy photos. And maybe a name to go along with them! LOL

John L
Portland OR

·
Registered
5 Posts
Hi Wayne. Welcome from the Pacific NW. I see you can purchase Purina ProPlan products..

That is good. A lot of folks he feed Purina ProPlan in various formulas with great success. I have used PPP for years, and will with my next pup.One of the particular favorites is PPP Sensitive Skin and Stomach Salmon and Rice

The main advice that might help you is that you really don't need to feed your 4 month old puppy food. In fact you are probably better off just going with an adult or all life stages formula like this:

John L
Portland OR
Agree. Been using Purina pro plan for a decade and she is 12.5 with wobblers

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

John L
Portland OR
Haha sorry I forgot to post my dobie
His name is Buster 😂
Dog Road surface Carnivore Dog breed Asphalt

Dog Road surface Carnivore Dog breed Grey

Dog Comfort Carnivore Dog breed Smile

Dog Dog breed Carnivore Asphalt Road surface

·
Big Lil pup
8,613 Posts
Hi Wayne (Again!)

Thanks for the photos!

Cute pup! Girl too!

A few things:
-I notice your choice of kibble is grain free. For quite a while now, associations between grain free kibble and a higher incidence of Dilated Cardiomyopathy has been established. DCM is a form of heart disease that Dobermans, as a breed, are prone too. Many Dobes die of it. And many more are on medication as a result of it. Folks here, myself included, are tending to steer away from it as a simple precaution. Many diehard grain free manufacturers of quality kibble have noticed the trend and, as a result, are now making "grain inclusive" dog foods.
- Also... Your handsome Buster's ears look nice and seem. to be coming along. However his right looks to have a pocket forming which is what is causing its to tip in. Pockets are easily correctable, but should be dealt with sooner rather than later.
I am going to include 2 links to threads with information about pockets and how to deal with the,

The first is specifically about pockets:
Ear pockets- what are they and how to fix them.

The second is an excellent visual tutorial on how to post ears, using the most commonly recommended method here on Dt. Starting with about a dozen pictures down (It is the first one of the red puppy). It also clearly explains how to. add correcting "bumpers" to a post, which push the pocket out and eventually return the ear to its desired upright position.
How to: Posting Show Cropped Ears Using Backer Rod

-Finally... If you want your Buster's ears tips to be strong and not permanently curl like they are right now, you need to lengthen your post to and secure the tip to the post. Do not apply the tape tightly. Just gently lay it over the top to hold the tips to the post.

Please keep updating. It is really nice having a new member from your part of the world.

JL

Edit to say: I looked at your available options. And if I had to make a choice based on your limited options, I would go with Purina ProPlan Essential Health for the time being. Make sure that you transition to any kibble change over the course of several feedings for Buster to get used to the different kibble.

And another thought: From what I understand, although there is no direct presence in Taiwan, one can often order from Amazon China, and have it delivered to a Taiwan address. Amazon (at least in most countries), carry a full line of PPP products.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Hi Wayne (Again!)

Thanks for the photos!

Cute pup! Girl too!

A few things:
-I notice your choice of kibble is grain free. For quite a while now, associations between grain free kibble and a higher incidence of Dilated Cardiomyopathy has been established. DCM is a form of heart disease that Dobermans, as a breed, are prone too. Many Dobes die of it. And many more are on medication as a result of it. Folks here, myself included, are tending to steer away from it as a simple precaution. Many diehard grain free manufacturers of quality kibble have noticed the trend and, as a result, are now making "grain inclusive" dog foods.
- Also... Your handsome Buster's ears look nice and seem. to be coming along. However his right looks to have a pocket forming which is what is causing its to tip in. Pockets are easily correctable, but should be dealt with sooner rather than later.
I am going to include 2 links to threads with information about pockets and how to deal with the,

The second is an excellent visual tutorial on how to post ears, using the most commonly recommended method here on Dt. Starting with about a dozen pictures down (It is the first one of the red puppy). It also clearly explains how to. add correcting "bumpers" to a post, which push the pocket out and eventually return the ear to its desired upright position.

-Finally... If you want your Buster's ears tips to be strong and not permanently curl like they are right now, you need to lengthen your post to and secure the tip to the post. Do not apply the tape tightly. Just gently lay it over the top to hold the tips to the post.

Please keep updating. It is really nice having a new member from your part of the world.

JL

Edit to say: I looked at your available options. And if I had to make a choice based on your limited options, I would go with Purina ProPlan Essential Health for the time being. Make sure that you transition to any kibble change over the course of several feedings for Buster to get used to the different kibble.

And another thought: From what I understand, although there is no direct presence in Taiwan, one can often order from Amazon China, and have it delivered to a Taiwan address. Amazon (at least in most countries), carry a full line of PPP products.
Hallo~

thanks for all the information !!
yeah.. sometimes his ears like this..👇
Plant Tree Wood Dress Musical instrument

I can put cotton balls or whatever else in his ears pockets right ?
So I don't need to use tape from the bottom now ,I can just taping in the top and middle ?
In addition, how long will it take for the current situation?

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Hi Wayne (Again!)

Thanks for the photos!

Cute pup! Girl too!

A few things:

JL

btw..
Dog Carnivore Dog supply Fawn Companion dog

So this is the best product that Taiwan can choose at present for Buster

·
Big Lil pup
8,613 Posts
If you want his ears to stand correctly and look nice, you really should go back to full posts and carefully follow the instructions in the two threads I gave you. If you don't have backer rod to make the bumpers, use what ever is available. You could tightly roll up some paper. towel to the proper diameter and tape around it. Then add it to the post. But it has to be firm and form fitting, like the dense foam of backer rod or pipe insulation. The idea is that you have to push the pocket out now, as the cartilage is still hardening in the ears. And at not even 4 months, you should still be posting anyway. It is always a good idea to post all the way through teething. It is not uncommon for ears to stand well at 4-5 months initially, only to have the flag or even completely fail as the pup teethes.

Here is Popeye, my son's most recent boy, at exactly the same age as your pup. He was just turning 4 months in a few days. This photo was taken between postings. Granted, his crop is a bit longer, but just for comparison, he was posted (in full posts) through his 8th month.

JL

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
If you want his ears to stand correctly and look nice, you really should go back to full posts and carefully follow the instructions in the two threads I gave you. If you don't have backer rod to make the bumpers, use what ever is available. You could tightly roll up some paper. towel to the proper diameter and tape around it. Then add it to the post. But it has to be firm and form fitting, like the dense foam of backer rod or pipe insulation. The idea is that you have to push the pocket out now, as the cartilage is still hardening in the ears. And at not even 4 months, you should still be posting anyway. It is always a good idea to post all the way through teething. It is not uncommon for ears to stand well at 4-5 months initially, only to have the flag or even completely fail as the pup teethes.

Here is Popeye, my son's most recent boy, at exactly the same age as your pup. He was just turning 4 months in a few days. This photo was taken between postings. Granted, his crop is a bit longer, but just for comparison, he was posted (in full posts) through his 8th month.

JL
Thanks for all the information!
Now his ear looks like ;

·
Registered
7,653 Posts
YES. Post through teething, 6-7 months of age. We had to post until 8 months.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·

JL
Hallo ~

Buster's left ear still drop it , do you have any suggest ?
Dog Carnivore Collar Working animal Dog breed

Dog Tire Wheel Carnivore Tree

1 - 20 of 26 Posts