Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
939 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone, quick question. Our lame-o of a "breeder" had Callie on Ol' Roy.. yeah.. the walmart brand dog food. We swapped her to Blue Buffalo Wilderness Puppy, and her coat is super shiny and she enthusiastically eats it, but she's lost weight and looks quite a bit skinnier than when we got her. Her poop is alright, I guess. A little softer than it was before, but she doesn't have gas or anything and its not runny, so I'm assuming the protein content (36%) is okay? I'm familiar with what a healthy weight looks like on an adult dobe, but I'm not so sure with a puppy. Shes 9 weeks and 16.4 lbs, but her waist is pretty drawn in and you can occasionally catch a glimpse of ribs. I'm giving 2 cups AM and PM. I don't know what other info to add, or if I'm just being ridiculous and over-analyzing everything because shes our first!

·
Registered
3,142 Posts
The first time I can't help you :( were on completely different food and we feed 3 times a day. Well did we're working on cutting back to just two times. He was also 20ish lbs when we got him at 9 weeks but he's also a boy. Hopefully someone can help!

She's looked good from the pictures I've seen.

I will add that I always thought diesel was skinny but I think it's cause they grow so fast right now cause he definitely is gaining weight but growing tall at the same time.

·
Alpha SheepDog
1,366 Posts
I always feed 3 times a day till around 6 months. I think their organs are too small to process fairly and then their is waistage. Plus your pup is not waiting too long in between meals. Plus it helps with a mid day nap as pups should get lots of sleep, despite us wanting to play with them.
I think her weight is about average for a male, but depends on her bone structure.
Just some quick thoughts.
Protein sounds high.

·
Registered
3,142 Posts
I always feed 3 times a day till around 6 months. I think their organs are too small to process fairly and then their is waistage. Plus your pup is not waiting too long in between meals. Plus it helps with a mid day nap as pups should get lots of sleep, despite us wanting to play with them.
I think her weight is about average for a male, but depends on her bone structure.
Just some quick thoughts.
Protein sounds high.
With that said maybe will stick to 3 times.

·
Registered
939 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
We do have a third meal, its used as our rewards for training throughout the day. Kibble, chicken, and wet meat roll type food. She sleeps a ton! Sleeping through the night these last two nights (GLORIOUS! I can SLEEP!) If shes not romping or eating, shes passed out. I was pretty overwhelmed with the puppy food choices to be honest, and just went with the best grain free one I could find at our local store :noidea:

Reactions: kwhite30

·
Registered
138 Posts
That weight sounds about right. I got my girl at 16 weeks and she was 33lbs.
They do grow fast so you may want to feed 3 times a day. Maybe try 1 1/2 cups at each meal so she gets an extra half cup for a total of 4 1/2 by the end of the day. If you think she looks to thin I would feed a little more. You could also ask your vet if her weight looks appropriate for her age. My vet let me come in once a month for a quick weight and checkup until my girl was a year old.

·
Registered
939 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I think shes getting around 4 1/2 to 5 C a day. She never really finishes a meal, so I leave it down and she snacks. When we hit the vet tomorrow to get her ears taken down I'll ask about her weight

Reactions: Steph82497

·
Registered
2,372 Posts
Blue Wilderness is a good food. What you want is high quality meat protein.
Puppies need quality protein to build muscel and other development. You can try going to feeding 3 times a day. Increase 1/2 cup a day. The charts on the bags are only starting points. What you should watch is the Calcium levels in food for puppies. Don't go over 1.3% for puppies.

www.petmd.com/dog/.../evr_dg_focusing_on_protein_in_the_diet

·
Premium Member
10,228 Posts
I think shes getting around 4 1/2 to 5 C a day. She never really finishes a meal, so I leave it down and she snacks. When we hit the vet tomorrow to get her ears taken down I'll ask about her weight
If she doesn't finish meals I'd not leave the food down. It's a generally bad policy. It ends up being free feeding and doing that can end up in a number of ways--all pretty unsatisfactory. Either you get a dog who habitually overeats or one who is incredibly picky and undereats. And worse you don't have the advantage of the heads up of a dog who eats normally finishes all meals in a short time going off their food which is often the first sign that something is wrong.

Also if she's getting 1/2 to 1 cup of food in the form of treats I think I'd start giving smaller treats. A treat to a dog is a treat whether it's huge or very small. For training purposed I rarely give treats bigger than 1/4" square. I want them to eat meals and not hold out for "treats".

Also you should probably remember that puppies when growing quickly tend to go through phases. First they will look roley poley and fat and then go through a growth spurt and look like they are nothing but legs and peanut bodies. She's probably getting enough food but at 9 weeks even I who drop the third meal pretty early usually feed three meals until they are around 16 weeks old.

Typically you count weeks as weeks and months as months. On average months equal 4.3 weeks. So if you say that your puppy is 9 weeks it would work out to about 8.6 weeks.

But since she's going in to the vet anyway check with the vet to see how they feel the puppy looks. When it's all said and done I look at my dogs daily when I'm feeding them from they time they are puppies and adjust their food according to how I think they look. Works for me--harder sometimes to pin it down on a growing puppy because of the stages they go through with the growth spurts. I have no idea what the average weight is by the month for most puppy bitches. With dogs from two to six month you expect the dog to weigh about 10 pounds X his age in months. So a two month old male puppy would be around 20 pounds and a four month old would normally be about 40 pounds. And at the mid points of the months they've usually added about 1/2 or the weight they will weigh at the next month.

Puppy bitches will weight less but since I don't raise puppy bitches I don't have as good a feel for appropriate weight at a given time.

Good luck...puppies are resiliant--they can deal with errors--just remember to keep upping the quantity of food as she grows.

·
Alpha SheepDog
1,366 Posts
Leaving food in the bowl is new to me.
Every dobe I have had ate everything in the bowl. I would think they were sick if they didn't ate it all. LOL

Reactions: kwhite30

·
Registered
939 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
The middle feeding being used as treats is more just clicker shaping. I couldn't give her that much of regular treats.. she'd be a hippo, haha. I use that time to teach her to take food gently mostly, and things where I need to take a million baby steps to get to what I need to like not bumrushing me for the treat :) Its working so far!

I'll start making firm food times though, thanks for that suggestion. I've never had a dog that wasn't free fed, but after some research I can see the benefits. We'll start tonight. How long do you leave food down for?

·
Registered
3,142 Posts
Diesel has 10 minutes to eat his food sometimes 15 and if he walks away then it's gone and he's caught I'm very quickly and it usually never takes him more then like 5ish minutes to eat and he doesn't walk away anymore :) he also sits before he gets his food.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts