Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
855 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a question about posting our puppy's ears. Tater is about 14 weeks old and when we got him a little over a week ago it was time to take his ears down the next day. He had them cropped at about 8 weeks old. The breeder had been doing 5 days up 2 days down. When we took the posts his ears looked b-e-a-util! and they had just the tiniest wilt to them toward the end of the second day. The only down side was that we saw a little rough spot on his right ear but it didn't seem to bother him and it was so small it didn't seem like anything to worry about. Especially since it was obviously there during this last posting as well. We went ahead and posted his ears again after the 2 days.

We took it off today (after only 3 days) because I saw that the spot we had noticed looked like it may have opened up (perhaps it rubbed or he bumped it on something? I dont know) and didn't want it to get worse. I forgot to mention that it's just above the base of the ear, facing inward. That ear is standing up just fine, but his left ear is pretty floppy, floppier than when we put it up. I've read that the stress of teething (the past few days he has been a chewing fiend!) can cause ears to flop so I'm hoping the left ear has something to do with that. Ideally, we think it would probably be best to leave the ears down so the cut can heal, but we are also worried that the left ear won't be able to stand again if we leave it for too long.

So I guess after kind of rambling, the question I have would be is it better to just leave them down for a while until it heals? and if we do that do we have any hope of the left one standing if left floppy for a while? Or is there any advice on how to still post but work around a little owie like this. I realize that they are posted while healing from the surgery, so it probably is possible but we don't want to mess anything up or cause it to get worse or infected. My boyfriend had a Dobe that he had to post ears for before, but he didn't run into any problems. We do feel awful that he has any kind of problem and I've seen some people be pretty harsh on here, so please save it if you want to tell me how we shouldn't have posted them up again to begin with or whatever. We didn't think there would be a problem and addressed it as soon as there was one. Thanks in advance to anyone that has some advice :)

·
Registered
2,437 Posts
I'd be inclined to put some neosporin on it and post but it would depend on where exactly the place is and what it looked like. Can you show a picture?

Also, you mentioned "by the second day." That would imply that you left ears down overnite and that is NOT recommended.

·
Registered
1,198 Posts
Posting

Depending on the sore, you may need to put him on cups again and let that place heal. I'd make sure he got antibiotics and neosporum on the sore. Sometimes, you can post but can't say on a forum.....it all depends.

·
Registered
855 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Thanks guys. Cathy, I'm not too worried about the leaving it over night for just the one night if all looks well. That's what he'd been having done with the breeder for several weeks before we got him and they looked great (see first picture). Even after two full days, including one night down, they were still almost exactly like that but with just a tiny appearance of wilting to them, but no flopping over at all (second picture, sorry it is from behind, but you can see the little of his left ear. It wiggled while he was chewin on that toy). The third picture is what the left ear looked like yesterday when we took them down :(

The 4th picture is of the cut on the right ear. The picture isn't great, but it's that little red bump. We were actually able to repost it without covering that spot so we can get neosporin on it and let it heal. He's napping right now, but I will try and add of a picture of how his ears are posted later.

Again thanks for your help. :)

·
Always Grateful
6,952 Posts
First of all, DON'T leave the ears down for more than an hour or two. Every time an ear falls over or crumples as in your 3rd photo you are getting a set-back in your posting because you allowed the accumulating cartilage to "break". I would definitely tape the ears again, and be very careful to avoid putting tape over the little irritated spot. It is very likely that a wrinkle in the tape caused that spot - be sure your tape is laid very smoothly onto the ear with no wrinkles. This can be done if you are very careful. Having 2 people to do the taping helps to get everything done with care. When I posted I did not wrap the whole ear with tape anyway. I made sure I used a super sticky tape (from the medical store) for the post so that it tended to stay in the ear much better than ordinary tape. The irritated spot is at the bottom of the ear and this will make it harder not to cover it with tape because you need to get that area pretty secure to hold the post in. You should be using a good porous tape to wrap with and you can cut it into thin strips to secure the area and still avoid taping over that spot. Be sure to stretch the ears up onto the post and that will give you more area to place tape near where the ear meets the head + it will avoid getting pockets in the ears. Keep a little antibiotic creme on the spot and it should heal quickly.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts