Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys, I am a newb here and I have a few questions. We have a 10 week old puppy that my wife and I got at 7 weeks old due to the mother being hit by a car. She is really sweet and smart but I'm having a few issues with her. The biggest issue I have is that she doesnt respond to her name when we call her. I would think afte 3 weeks she would recognize her name but she doesn't even turn and look at us when called. I know there isnt anything wrong with her hearing but she just seems unresponsive when called. Maybe she is just hard headed. Haha. I just worry that if she ever got outside without a leash she wouldnt respond to me calling her. Any advise?

Along with not responding to her name, she doesn't come when I say "come". What advise on training for this would you recommend? Leash training to "come"?

She also is a biter. I have read where a few others were having biting issues with their puppy also on DT. Hopefully with patience and age she will grow out of the biting while we are playing.

Thank you in advance for the help. I have had many dogs but this is my first dobe. She is so easy to train in some ways but yet so hard to train in other ways.

·
Registered
2,778 Posts
She's ten weeks old... you don't get to play the "hard to train" or "hard-headed" cards LOL!

You have a completely normal pup who should get herself to puppy class with you, so that you can learn how to train her.

·
Registered
54 Posts
I cannot comment on the deaf aspect but I do know you need to entice your pup to come! Perhaps reward her if she looks at you when you say her name. Once she masters this, then reward her when she actually comes with the command "come!"

If outside, a good trick is to run the opposite direction and yell "come!" that normally gets most pups to follow!

And yes!! Puppy classes will help train YOU and the pup:)

·
Registered
2,656 Posts
What, if any training methods are you familiar with? This will be a big help in how we explain some good techniques to try. If you are not familiar with any training methods, I would start doing as much research as possible. I love marker training, free-shaping, and luring for teaching new behaviors, and if you are not familiar with these I think it would be an excellent starting point.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I am familiar with the luring technique. I have always had small dogs and I think I sometimes forget how young my puppy really is, as she is already bigger than some of our previous dogs. I guess I should just enroll her in a puppy class and work with her outside of the class.

·
u mad?
6,476 Posts
I agree with the other responses. She's a 10 week old puppy, that's still a baby! What have you done to train her?

To teach Dreizehn his name I actually took a couple of days for it. A few times a day I'd get a handful of treats and I'd sit with him. I'd say his name and as soon as he looked at me I"d give him a treat. I'd do this until I was out of treats.

As for come, that command will always be a work in progress. NEVER call your dog to you and then punish her. If you ask her to "come" and she does then there should always be a small party for her. I started by waiting until Dreizehn was already on his way coming to me. Then I'd give the command and once he got to me I gave him lots of treats. I also played a game with other people where we'd sit with him. One person would hold his collar and the other would start clapping and making noise and then call him to them. The person holding on to him would let him go and he'd go running to the second person and get lots of treats. We'd just do this back and forth. "Come" should be fun and it should mean good things.

A puppy class would be good. It would introduce her to new areas, new people, new dogs, and a trainer will be good for helping with any issues that come up.

As for biting and nipping.. there are a great many threads on that.
Edit: Here's some that should cover the issue. I just quickly skimmed them.
http://www.dobermantalk.com/puppy-corner/63805-play-biting-ouch.html
http://www.dobermantalk.com/puppy-corner/56144-puppy-biting-me-help.html
http://www.dobermantalk.com/puppy-c...ppy-continues-jump-bit-even-re-direction.html
http://www.dobermantalk.com/puppy-corner/60779-mouthing.html#post990601

·
Registered
3,142 Posts
Definitely search on here about the biting. I have an 11 week old pup and I posted a thread about play biting and got a lot of good responses so I definitely recommend looking those threads up. I'm currently dealing with my pup biting a lot. It's definitely a puppy thing but it can be frustrating and that's why I turned here for advice. A lot of people say to redirect them and also that it just takes time and she'll grow out of it eventually. Also constantly use her name. Diesel for the most part knows his name but we say it a lot to get him to know it. She'll catch on eventually. Like everyone says she's a baby just give it time. You'll be amazed the day you realize she knows her name :)

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thank you all for your responses. I'm going to look into some puppy classes and also continue to work with her at home with some different methods.

·
Registered
2,264 Posts
She probably doesn't know her name yet. Everytime you say her name and she looks at you give her a treat. She will start to connect the dots and realize that word means you are talking to her. Eventually you can start phasing out the treats once she knows her name. Once she knows her name you can start training her to come. Never associate the word come with something negative. If she did something bad don't tell her to come then discipline her.

Reactions: NewDobieParents

·
sufferin succotash
9,168 Posts
Some training classes require the dog to be a minimum age, like 14-16 weeks. You can check out training clubs here: Training Resources

It's important to make sure she has all her vax and your vet's clearance before enrolling in classes :)

Thank you all for your responses. I'm going to look into some puppy classes and also continue to work with her at home with some different methods.

·
Always Grateful
6,952 Posts
This guy in the link below has some great training videos. You need to make sure you are using positive reinforcement methods to teach your pup to come. This will be the most important thing you ever teach. Please don't try "several different methods" because that might really confuse your pup. If you use one positive method consistently I'm sure she will learn quickly.

How to teach ANY dog to COME! - YouTube

·
joie de vivre
11,277 Posts
This guy in the link below has some great training videos. You need to make sure you are using positive reinforcement methods to teach your pup to come. This will be the most important thing you ever teach. Please don't try "several different methods" because that might really confuse your pup. If you use one positive method consistently I'm sure she will learn quickly.

How to teach ANY dog to COME! - YouTube
I wish I could thank this post a billion times. YES, YES, YES. All positive training for name recognition and recalls. And remain consistent to avoid confusing your pup.

There's not a 'magic' training trick you have to find by trying everything you come across. Just stick with positive training for your pup and give her time to figure out and understand what you're asking.

Dobe pups are mouthy. Just redirect her when she bites and she'll grow out of it. Some pups take longer than others but they do grow out of it. I always carried some soft stuffy toys with me so when my pup would bite I could (gently) stick a toy in her mouth to redirect. Every time. Patience is key. :)

I definitely recommend finding some basic puppy classes. They're great for pup socialization and can really help with basic puppy training.
Here's a link to AKC training facilities in Tennessee: Training

If none listed are near you, I'd contact them anyway to ask for references of trainers or other clubs that may be in your local area.

Reactions: NewDobieParents
1 - 13 of 13 Posts