Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone!

Really need some advice

Khaleesi is now 5 months old and has had a staph infection since I got her at 8 weeks. She was taken to the vet and put on a week's course of synulox.

It cleared up and came back.. Another week's course.

Then again got really bad after a week of being off the antibiotics.

Then was given nearly a month's course. With a shampoo as well - can't remember the name but we do it twice a week. It all cleared up and since she's been off the antibiotics for the last week or so she's got a few spots back.

Obviously that's a long course of antibiotics for a puppy.. I've been giving her natural yoghurt and occasionally I also give her a tin of mackerel or tuna (supposing this would help the condition of her coat to stay shiny etc) and she tolerates that well.

Her normal puppy food is BURNS puppy original chicken and rice, which here in the UK is one of the best makes as it doesn't contain any additives.

She's always had quite runny poo or cow pat poo's. But she's had bad diarrhoea on and off for a week or so since stopping the antibiotics.

Now the staph isn't so much of a problem as I will continue to use the shampoo and see how that goes. I'm more worried about her poop. I've given her Canikur pro from the vets, nearly at the end of the 3 day course, which is a natural probiotic and apparently helps to bind the poo. It didn't really seem to make a difference but stupidly yesterday I gave her some steamed sweet potato (with the skin on) all mushed up for lunch and dinner as well as her biscuits and she's had even WORSE diarrhoea since... Literally explosive. I read that pumpkin and sweet potato are good for diarrhoea.

In the past when they were slightly runny I tried boiled eggs, boiled brown rice, boiled chicken and nothing seemed to make much of a difference. But it would seem she's definitely had a bad reaction with the sweet potato.

I'm getting really fed up now. If her staph infection doesn't clear within a month of just shampoo, as I hate giving her so many antibiotics, she will need a blood test which I wanted to do a long time ago anyway. But with the diarrhoea the vet said if it doesn't clear by the end of the canikur they'll need 3 days worth of fecal samples and she could have a Protozoa which needs specific worming tablets.

I know a lot of people will say go for a raw food diet which I'm willing to do, however if she doesn't tolerate things like sweet potato I don't know how well she'll do with it.

Please help :(

·
Registered
4,707 Posts
Try a prey model raw diet, thus no potatoes, no veggies, just meat, organ and bone. I switched to raw 7 years ago, because my boy had a staph infection that would clear up with meds and baths, but a week or two after the meds, it would come back. After 3 courses of antibiotics with the same result, I switched to raw d/c'd the antiobiotics and baths, and within a week it cleared up. I haven't fed kibble since.

As for the diarrhea, I would definitely do a fecal, sounds like it could be Cocci or Giardia, or ???

Good luck!

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Try a prey model raw diet, thus no potatoes, no veggies, just meat, organ and bone. I switched to raw 7 years ago, because my boy had a staph infection that would clear up with meds and baths, but a week or two after the meds, it would come back. After 3 courses of antibiotics with the same result, I switched to raw d/c'd the antiobiotics and baths, and within a week it cleared up. I haven't fed kibble since.

As for the diarrhea, I would definitely do a fecal, sounds like it could be Cocci or Giardia, or ???

Good luck!

Thank you!! What kind of meat organs and bones? I need to do some more research for definite. Do you cook the meat and organs? Obviously you wouldn't cook the bones. Also for a 5 month old puppy (she weighs 24.2kg) how much would I need to give her a day? I'm sure I could make it quite economical if I went to the butchers to get some stuff.

·
_______
5,102 Posts
Mackerel and tuna are high in mercury, just saying.
If this were mine and I wanted them to have fish would switch to something else, sardines come to mind.
Here's a calculator https://seaturtles.org/programs/mercury/

·
Registered
16,037 Posts
As suggested above, have her tested for coccidia and giardia. I suspect that's your veterinarian's plan of action by his request of three days of stool samples as both can be difficult to find.

When using the chicken rice diet got upset tummy or diarrhea, use white rice as it's more soothing to the digestive system. Always rinse your rice before cooking to help remove arsenic that is naturally occuring to an extent.

The Dog Aware site below has some sample recipes to help you along and give you a start. I do suggest you do a lot of reading on raw diets and what the should consist of. 80-10-10 is the ration most people go by. 80% meat, 10% bone and 10% organ meat.

You must use an assortment of meats to make sure you are feeding a variety of the needed amounts of nutrients. Rotate with at least 4-5 different meats. Most begin with a couple of weeks of chicken as it is easily digestible.

Feed fish several times a week, starting slow. Canned fish such as salmon, sardines packed in water, mackeral are all good. Most north stlantic mackeral is okay if you dont eat it more than once a week or so. King mackeral is the one to avoid. Anytime your introducing a new food, start fairly slowly so their diegestive system doesn't get upset.

Get with ShelianDobe for her resources. I have a book by Karen Becker, DVM that is rated well.

Another... http://www.amazon.com/The-BARF-Diet-Evolutionary-Principles/dp/0958592519

Don't forget the Dog Aware site in my signature.

·
Registered
16,037 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,452 Posts
My girl also had recurring skin staph infections and misc allergic "bumps" - and we also did 3 rounds of antibiotics. She was also very itchy though her coat has always been great and has always had good stools.
I turned to the prey model raw diet a few months ago (after LOTS of research/forums, etc) and have been amazed at the difference. No more skin infections, much less itchy and her coat seems thicker and even more shiny. She still gtes kibble once a week so that when she stays with my friends when I'm away overnight she'll still be familiar with that.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts