Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

· Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I’ve had trouble posting my 5 and a half month old boy for a while now. I finally got some success with posting the last 2/3 weeks using a combination of zip ties inside the backer rod and skin-tac wipes (I’m in the UK so can’t get Torbot but this is the same company)
However today I took off the posts and the right ear post was seeming with puss, mainly in the top-middle area. I think it’s infected as there is an odor and a greenish discharge.
Now I’m at a loss of what to do. Do I post still and avoid the areas with sores or do I just immediately stop posting until the ears clear up?
It’s frustrating as I was already behind on the posting as he kept getting them out and this will probably set me back weeks and months.

some of the red marks are where he’s clawed at the posts to get them off and some are sores I believe.
Pictures attached
Dog Dog breed Carnivore Collar Grey
Hand Dog Dog breed Jaw Carnivore
Head Hand Dog Eye Dog breed
Sensitive content, not recommended for those under 18
Show Content
Head Eye Dog Dog breed Carnivore

· Registered
2,078 Posts
Others will weigh in, but it may be that the tape may be too tight when he’s wrapped. Also, be sure to use a skin-grade adhesive solvent like Unisolve to remove any glue/tape.

If it were my, I’d let the ears heal before putting them back up. One of our experts may chime in with an alternate way to post (mole foam?) that could help.

Good luck!

· Big Lil pup
8,974 Posts
Hi Jay.
Hopefully others will comment also. But, if that were my pup, I would hold off posting again until the ears heal. Your nose is your best friend if you suspect an infection. If it stinks, then yes, there is a good chance it is infected. Probably minor, but still something to consider.

That being said, it certainly does not look that bad to me, but if you want to promote healing, I would run him by your vet and inquire about 2 ear specific medical products: One is KET Flush. It was always called Phytovet KET, but now it is also marketed as Ceraven Ket Flush. It is a prescription only, antiseptic, antibiotic anti-fungal ear wash for dogs, cat and horses. It works really well. The other is called an "ointment" (but are really drops) called Otomax and can be used sparingly if there is an issue in the base of the ear. It is also only available by prescription I have dealt with minor infections in the past when posting, and a quick vet visit, followed by using these 2 products cleared them right up. I also use Otomax as a preventative measure by putting a drop or so on cotton at the bottom of the post where it goes into the base of the ear.

One other thing... If you are using skin glue to fix the posts to the inside of the ears, that may be part of your problem with the raw spots inside and near the tip. You may have to rethink whether or not to continue glueing the post to the ear if you feel that may be a factor.

Finally... We just finished posting our current puppy at 9 months. So, you really don't need to be in any real hurry here. just get it right.

Our puppy also had a minor issue with his ear tip. I say minor because it was a wound (he got nicked) but absolutely no necrosis. We continued to post, but stopped the tape short of the tip. We held the tip up to the post loosely, with a band aid, so it could breathe and also so we could observe it while the ears were still in posts. It healed up within two postings and today there is no sign of any problem at all.

As I said, more folks will probably add on to what I've said, if they have something to add. But, this might give you somewhere to start.

John Lichtwardt
Portland OR

Edit to say: From what I see in the second picture, that looks like a pretty nice crop. Definitely worth taking care of! Please come back with any more questions or concerns

· Super Moderator
23,802 Posts
I don't really see a way to post without making the ears worse. Have you seen your vet? Your pup may need antibiotics.

When ears are properly posted, they shouldn't be bothered by the posts - no clawing at them to get the posts out, no constant head shaking, etc. They shouldn't really notice that they have posts in. If they are having problems with the posts, something is wrong - the posts aren't deep enough in the ear, the glue or tape is an irritant, something just isn't right. I've never had to glue posts in (although I know people that do glue posts in), I've simply used posts that are back-wrapped in tape, and then just lightly wrapped in a couple of spots to keep them on the ears. The tutorial here on DT is excellent.

Reactions: melbrod and MMcCown

· Premium Member
14,991 Posts
I'd let the spots that are raw completely heal before I tried reposting.

But I think one of the reason you are having so much trouble getting posts to stay in the ear when the pup is determined to get them out. You are in England? The puppy was cropped somewhere in Europe? I've found that pups that were not cropped in either Canada, North or South America tend to have bases that are very differently cropped than they are here. And if you do internet searches for posting of puppies that have European crops you'll see that many of them are never posted with a full post. There is not enough left at the bottom of the ear to leave a good pocket into which a full post will seat. So most of the puppies you seen in the Euro videos about posting show them being posted with half posts (something that would usually only be done at the end of posting for puppies cropped in the Americas.

I went to look and see what the segment on half posts that is in our Puppy and Cropping forum showed and was shocked to find there were no pictures. And evidently there were several attempts to get the pictures the original source had not been able to get posted. It's probably worth reading (but pictures would help). Basically you make a half post (just like a full post but only needs to be long enough to extend from the little knob in the ear just before the ear canal would start to the tip of the ear. Make the posts the same way. Most of the places you find on the internet which show half post posting do use a skin glue (see if OsteoBond--another very common skin glue like Torbot is available) in addition to having the post back taped. You could follow the directions (new) for posting with adhesive. The Skin-tac you have might be enough but in my opinion it's not quite sticky enough to do the job. Also if you haven't been using an adhesive solvent to remove the tape and posts you should be--even the skin tac is sticky enough to be really irritating if you just try to pull the posts out. But the post doesn't go into the ear canal but sits right on top of that little knob.

About finding the right supplies in England--go to a pharmacy and ask if they can get you the kind of adhesive that is used to attach "appliances" to human skin and the solvent used to remove them. An owner I was helping in India found that the pharmacies there were able to get him the right kind of adhesive and the solvent.

Hope this may help.

dobebug

· Premium Member
14,991 Posts
Mel,

That's one of the ones I found--and it was presented in a pretty straight forward manner--I used gauze and cotton to make the end of the 1/2 post padded and I back taped the entire post but it's close enough. And it has pictures which go a long way to making it understandable.

John BB1--I think we have the best of the puppy biting information on this site--I suspect them of stealing it from us.

But we stole some of ours from the AAHA puppy biting brochure which we gave credit to AAHA for and I had provided.

dobebug

· Super Moderator
Hairy Dog RIP Caesar, Katana, Kip, Capri
31,724 Posts
Hey---I got in touch with the AAHA folks and asked for permission to quote what I did (I added the bracketed material.--theirs is the stuff in bold.) In fact, if I remember correctly, I even ran my finished copy back by them. 😄 That material was actually copyrighted though.

But I have added an attribution to the above link, just in case any one there is bent out of shape.

· Premium Member
14,991 Posts
Oooops--I didn't intend to open a can of worms here. Actually although Melbrod went above and beyond when it came to making sure that she could put the information on biting puppies which was copywrited in their brochure by getting their permission directly. (Melbrod, I think that somewhere in the order form to order any of the AAHA's excellent brochures on general information on raising puppies instead of little demons--there is a blanket permission to use any part of one of the brochures as long as you attribute it to them. (The nice run on sentence is just for you...)

dobebug

· Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks for all the help guys. They were smelling quite a bit and definitely not worth further damaging the ear. I left them out for a few days and the ear has stopped smelling and the sores have cleared up.

I'd let the spots that are raw completely heal before I tried reposting.

But I think one of the reason you are having so much trouble getting posts to stay in the ear when the pup is determined to get them out. You are in England? The puppy was cropped somewhere in Europe? I've found that pups that were not cropped in either Canada, North or South America tend to have bases that are very differently cropped than they are here. And if you do internet searches for posting of puppies that have European crops you'll see that many of them are never posted with a full post. There is not enough left at the bottom of the ear to leave a good pocket into which a full post will seat. So most of the puppies you seen in the Euro videos about posting show them being posted with half posts (something that would usually only be done at the end of posting for puppies cropped in the Americas.

I went to look and see what the segment on half posts that is in our Puppy and Cropping forum showed and was shocked to find there were no pictures. And evidently there were several attempts to get the pictures the original source had not been able to get posted. It's probably worth reading (but pictures would help). Basically you make a half post (just like a full post but only needs to be long enough to extend from the little knob in the ear just before the ear canal would start to the tip of the ear. Make the posts the same way. Most of the places you find on the internet which show half post posting do use a skin glue (see if OsteoBond--another very common skin glue like Torbot is available) in addition to having the post back taped. You could follow the directions (new) for posting with adhesive. The Skin-tac you have might be enough but in my opinion it's not quite sticky enough to do the job. Also if you haven't been using an adhesive solvent to remove the tape and posts you should be--even the skin tac is sticky enough to be really irritating if you just try to pull the posts out. But the post doesn't go into the ear canal but sits right on top of that little knob.

About finding the right supplies in England--go to a pharmacy and ask if they can get you the kind of adhesive that is used to attach "appliances" to human skin and the solvent used to remove them. An owner I was helping in India found that the pharmacies there were able to get him the right kind of adhesive and the solvent.

Hope this may help.

dobebug
This was really helpful thank you! I’m about to repost his ears tomorrow so will go to a pharmacy and ask about it. They must be different crops because every piece of advice I’ve tried from here hasn’t got him to stop shaking and being visibly irritated by the posts. The only thing that kept it in for longer than 24 hours was the glue so it’ll be a shame if I can no longer use it.

I think I’m going to try the half-post method you showed but the post says it’s for puppies with strong ear bases. How would you know if his bases are strong enough? That they are standing up with the posts in most of the time?

· Premium Member
14,991 Posts
Thanks for all the help guys. They were smelling quite a bit and definitely not worth further damaging the ear. I left them out for a few days and the ear has stopped smelling and the sores have cleared up.

This was really helpful thank you! I’m about to repost his ears tomorrow so will go to a pharmacy and ask about it. They must be different crops because every piece of advice I’ve tried from here hasn’t got him to stop shaking and being visibly irritated by the posts. The only thing that kept it in for longer than 24 hours was the glue so it’ll be a shame if I can no longer use it.

I think I’m going to try the half-post method you showed but the post says it’s for puppies with strong ear bases. How would you know if his bases are strong enough? That they are standing up with the posts in most of the time?
Well, I looked at a whole bunch of videos of Germans and Russians etc who were doing half posting on puppies who had only just had their sutures out and their ears fully healed and they were using them on puppies so young they didn't have really strong bases--but enough of them showed the crop when they were finished posting on dogs anywhere from 6 months to 2 or 3 years so I suspect that it's one of those things that people tell you that you have to do it a certain way and it turns out down the line when in desperation you try something that everyone said wouldn't work because of x y z and it works just fine.

So, I'd sure try them--you'll know shortly if it works because the ears will start to stand at least for a little while right after you take them down. Don't leave them down for anything except raw spots or scabs--but maybe the half post will work with his crop and he won't spend all his time trying to remove the posts.

I just went back and looked at the pictures--his ears are not dropping flat from the attachment point on his head and you can see that the back part of the ear leather definitely has a lift up off the head. So I think you'll be alright trying the half posts. It really can't hurt and you should know soon if it's working. Keep us posted (bad pun, I apologize)

dobebug

· Premium Member
14,991 Posts
Usually the sites I've looked at about half posts (most of them European) use a brace--which is just a band or figure 8 of tape right at the top of the head which goes around each ear and hold them at pretty much the angles that you say is his fully alert ear position. So the posting itself looks fine and I think if you add the brace it will keep his ears in the position you want while he's still in posts.

So is he tolerating the posts this way? He doesn't look like he's about to start trying to get them off--and I know of several people with puppies (who, for a variety of reasons) weren't tolerating full posts but did fine with half post which didn't go all the way down into the ear.

· Big Lil pup
8,974 Posts
Hi jay

I think that looks really nice. After you add the brace (bridge? band?) could you come back on with photos and updates. A current documented use of the half post method on Dobes could be very useful around here for folks who can't use full posts for some reason. I had to do it once when McCoy got minor infection in base of his ear. It was only through one posting and only on one ear. Still, it would have been nice to have a reference, here on DT, to take a quick look at. I just kind of winged it.

Edit to say: Then dobebug wouldn't have to run around the internet searching for examples of folks using half posts. And Mel wouldn't have to poach discussions from other forums. LOL

John Lichtwardt
Portland OR

· Super Moderator
Hairy Dog RIP Caesar, Katana, Kip, Capri
31,724 Posts
Edit to say: Then dobebug wouldn't have to run around the internet searching for examples of folks using half posts. And Mel wouldn't have to poach discussions from other forums. LOL

John Lichtwardt
Portland OR
I know you don't like smileys, John, but you deserve this one--😒

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.