Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner

Puppy Conformation

5K views 13 replies 9 participants last post by  longshot4me 
#1 ·
Hey guys, I've been really interested in learning conformation lately, and decided to take a swing with Callie. Conformationally she's a hot mess, and never had to stand for pictures before so its pretty sloppy. but here's what I have:

From the very basic information that I've learned so far, I see that she has a really roached back, a poor neck-tie in, no depth of chest and her tail is set a little low??

Her markings on the front lack good stop, and she has too much neck skin (is there a term for that?) But I think she has a nice head shape and ears.

Feel free to chime in with your opinions/critiques, or add pictures of your own. :) Its all so interesting to me!

See less See more
Reactions: Beaumont67
#3 · (Edited)
Callie does have a beautiful face...but I don't know what this means:
"her markings on the front lack good stop"

Back around 1978, I trained 9 weeks group confirmation, at 1 hr/week class time.
My dobe had the "roached back"....more in the ring and the way she moved in the back seat of my car (when we saw it more)
We went in a few shows, and I was so darn nervous, that my insecure energy was picked up by my Tanya...and her back tensed up even more.

In the first photo, looks to me like Callie is very close to the wall, and hasn't got near enough room to properly stack her rear legs/feet.
- this may be making her a little tense, standing there...which may add to the curved topline some (I would think)

#4 ·
That's actually pretty close to how her back usually is. We see a canine chiropractor for it, just in case, but she's not in pain or standing TOO terribly funny.

The stop I'm referring too is how the definition between the rust and black is 'fuzzy', there isn't a clear stop to the color, they run into eachother.

Reactions: Beaumont67
#5 ·
I think her tail set is fine BUT I cannot tell in this photo, she is clamping and probably quite uncomfortable hence the roaching. Her brisket is down to her elbows and her chest isnt a giant balloon.. its actually very similar to what Dobermans were originally and I find a lot of Judges actually prefer it, I know I do. She needs more under jaw and looks not lippy but theres another term for what I mean I just cannot think of it. I would love to see a photo of her standing in the yard perhaps after you have squeaked a toy or if she is bird watching..

She looks very very much like my girl does now at five months minus the roaching.. I have no stacked photos as my girl hates it, she looks incredibly ugly when I try stack her but beautiful in the yard (I started my own thread about this).

She looks like she has nice eyes and feet :) are you going to do conformation with her? she doesnt have Cambrias Cactus Cash in her pedigree a couple of times by any chance does she??

#6 · (Edited)
Ahhh I just found I have a couple of photos to show you.. one she looks very similar to your girl, she was mighty uncomfortable I was attempting to speed stack her after a few vinos the poor thing..

I have a couple of her running freely where you can see she looks very very different..mainly because she is happy and in her element. Her lack of fore chest is obvious although she had some as a puppy, her legs are growing like weeds and I am waiting for her to body up but I wouldnt mind if she stayed square! My girl has been an awkward grower and just this week her brisket dropped below her elbow! so much change..

How old is she in that photo and do you have any from 8 weeks?

#8 ·
Nightgrace, thank you for your thoughtful responses!

She is unfortunately a BYB puppy- not even AKC, she just has a PAL number. We cannot do conformation :( She is currently 14 weeks old, 15 on Wednesday. I don't have any pictures of her standing at 8 weeks as I just recently became interested in conformation. I'll see about getting a picture of her acting a little more natural, although she naturally doesn't have a very flat topline I've noticed. It's really nice to hear that she's not all bad, though. I've seen pictures of Cactus Cash.. he is a very pretty boy!

#13 ·
She sure is pretty girl, nice ear crop for a byb or did you have them done?

Reactions: longshot4me
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.