Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello there,

I just brought home a black Dobie puppy, but his markings are almost sand color, very light tan. Haven't seen other dogs with si light color, anyone else experienced this?

·
Registered
142 Posts
I believe the American line in General is a light tan whereas the European lines tend to be a darker rust

Someone correct me if I'm wrong here..

·
Holier Than Now
22,475 Posts
I believe the American line in General is a light tan whereas the European lines tend to be a darker rust

Someone correct me if I'm wrong here..
Okay, I will.

You're wrong ;)

Here is the breed standard, in which the markings are called for as "rust."

DPCA | The Doberman | Standard

Rich, deep rust color is preferred, either side of the pond.

OP, folks here like to see puppy pics, if ya got 'em. :)

·
formerly eventermal
3,498 Posts
What is he eating? Eukanuba can cause a lighter frost on the markings.

·
Registered
9,449 Posts
What did the rust look like in his lines? Dark, light, in between?

·
Registered
142 Posts
He is eating royal canin, it's not a good option, but I live in Argentina, where finding quality dog food is impossible.
He does come from American lines
I've read several articles comparing the "general" markings of American vs. European. While I understand it not to be gospel, many of them discuss the darker brown of the European vs the lighter brown of the American.

Here is a great read, I really enjoyed it

American vs. Euro

·
Premium Member
10,622 Posts
Hello there,

I just brought home a black Dobie puppy, but his markings are almost sand color, very light tan. Haven't seen other dogs with si light color, anyone else experienced this?
You are wrong--or at least the people or literature you've been talking to ad reading are wrong.

Even though some Euro breeding has deep rust markings I've seen some whose marking color is dark only because the dog has so much black hair mixed into what should be clear rust marking.

And I've seen some Dobes who had light markings--mostly they were not well bred.

The Doberman under the AKC standard should have rust marking--and any part of the dog that doesn't conform to the standard should be penalize (if you are in an AKC show ring) to the extent that it does not meet the standard.

That includes rust or not rust marking.

And I've had Dobes for the most part since 1959--and none of them had anything that resembled light tan or sand colored markings.

Whose breeding is that anyway?

·
Registered
345 Posts
My puppy, Liberty, has deep dark rust markings. Could be the salmon and rice she is on but her sire and dam also have dark markings, so who knows. Food can affect markings. Liberty was a paler rust then when I put her on the salmon and rice her rust coloring deepened and it is really glossy.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts