Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I've seen alot of discussions about collars on here but what is the best collar to start a puppy out with? Has anyone tried Spiffy Dog collars? They are not suppose to rub so they are are supposedly good for short haired dogs. Most of the dobes I see wear choke collars, is that just something most Dobes need? I'd rather not use one but I'd love to know what you think is the best. I'm getting a Dobie pup tomorrow and am wondering what the best collar would be.........

·
Sea Hag
12,933 Posts
poodles&adobie said:
I've seen alot of discussions about collars on here but what is the best collar to start a puppy out with? Has anyone tried Spiffy Dog collars? They are not suppose to rub so they are are supposedly good for short haired dogs. Most of the dobes I see wear choke collars, is that just something most Dobes need? I'd rather not use one but I'd love to know what you think is the best. I'm getting a Dobie pup tomorrow and am wondering what the best collar would be.........
Choke chains (also known as slip collars) are a TRAINING collar..they should only be used under direct supervision, and not left on the dog all the time. The animal shelter I worked at had an entire file cabinet filed with gruesome photos of dead dogs who'd hung themselves in their own yard because their owner didn't remove the collar when they weren't watching the dog.

As a training tool, they can be very effective-if sized and used correctly. But I wouldn't be using one to train a small puppy, it's not really necessary.

I have a 5 month old pup right now. She's wearing one of those expandable-sized nylon collars with the quik release buckle. Once she's full grown she'll graduate to a fairly nice braided leather collar, like the other doberman here has. The only time I worry about collar marks is with dogs who are being shown while they're being shown..they wear no collar until their show career is over.

·
Registered
6,589 Posts
Choke chains are strictly for training, and even then I don't like them one bit.

A little story.... When Lexus was 11 months old, I did use a choker. It NEVER stayed on her past training (or if I took her somewhere). My husband and I came home late at night with Lex with us. I left her on the back porch to go potty while we went in the house to let the other dogs out to potty. She had her collar on. (My back porch is enclosed down into a fenced in area for the dogs.) I let the other dogs out of their crates, and spent all of a minute TOPS inside, taking my coat off, whatever. I went to the back door to let the other two out and lexus was nearly choked to death. She had slipped her head between the porch rails and dropped it down, well under where she had done this there was a bench. Somehow, the rung of the collar slipped between the bench rails and got stuck. She paniced and was flopping like a fish out of water choking her self. She wasn't breathing. I yelled for my husband and grabbed the bench from between the porch rails and held it up so it would loosed around her neck. It was so STUCK from her pulling that he had to break the back of the bench to get the collar out. (and my finger while he was at it!)

So Very long story short. It was 100% my fault. I left that collar on her for 60 seconds past travel time, and that's all it took to nearly cost my dog her life.

Right now I don't even keep a collar on her anymore. She does not rush the door. And we only use the back door anyway, and it is all fenced in. Sorry for my very long story! I just feel very strongly about this subject for obvious reasons! And I like to share, if it will help another dog!

For a pup like that, you should be fine with a regular nylon collar. I haven't heard of a spiffy collar?

BtW- welcome to our forum! Please post pictures of your pup!

·
Registered
281 Posts
Harvey had a choke collar once just as back up as we couldnt find his other one. When im at home and hes at home he never has a collar on as soon as we leave the boundaries of our property he has it on with his tags . I dont leaveit on when im at home as he has access to the garden if its nice and comes in and out as he pleases but as lexus's story shows it can only take a moment for an accident to happen as you cant watch them every second :)

Harvey just has a nylon collar with a plastic clip as its gentle and soft on his hair..as a puppy i would get something which is soft ..you can get very silky soft flexible leather collars jsut to attach the tags to.

i posted a link earlier about an excellent training collar which is very gentle on them. theres some videos on there showing the diffrence in makes. It was orth its weight in gold with Harvey :)

http://www.cannyco.co.uk/CannyFiles/index.htm

i have never heard of a spiffy collar maybe you can post a link to one?

·
Registered
4,169 Posts
Welcome to the forum! Can't wait to see pics of the new pup :)
From what I've seen of the spiffy collars, they look like they are absolutely ideal for a pup. And I'm finding out that you can train a pup (mine is 5 months) with a flat collar just as easily as with a choke, if not easier. Just takes a little bit of creativity and a lot of patience :)

Here's a link... http://www.ihelppets.com/Dog-Products/spiffy--dog-collar.htm
I'm sold! They resist smell and dry quickly?? WooHoo it's a collar made with Chi in mind!!!!

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
I brought my baby home today, he is soooo sweet but is missing his old home :-( I'll post pictures when I get some! He's funny, he is scared of the poodles!! I would never leave a dog with a collar on it unattended. My uncles Cocker hung itself on a kitchen cabinet handle so I know what can happen. But thanks for the warning. Here is the link for the spiffy collars, they sound nice and come in some cool designs, I might try one. Thanks for posting the link Tracyjo. I can't deside on a name, Cedric or Hans?

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I'm thinking Cedric. Only had to take him out 3 or 4 times last night :-( Oh well, at least he tells you when he needs out of his kennel! check out www.spiffydog.biz for a bigger selection of patterns for the collars.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts