Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Premium Member
10,537 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
We just got back from our second week of puppy class this morning.

Red is still the biggest puppy there (he is 18 weeks old this weekend), and he continues to be the most well-trained. He’s already mastered all the basics, including “sit”, “down”, “stay” from a distance, and walking on a loose leash, and he performed very well in class even with all the distractions of the other people and dogs. Everyone was amazed at how well he is doing for his age, even the instructor. Needless to say I’m very proud of him! (and of myself since I’m the one that has been training him). :)

The photos were taken during break times when the instructor was talking because it was too hard to try to take pics during actual training. I was across the room with the camera, so that's my hubby with Red.

Taking a break.

I want to play with the Pug!

Red's favorite friend, a German Shepherd pup.

Sniffing a tiny Shih Tzu mix pup.

Pay attention!

·
Premium Member
9,664 Posts
AWWWWWWWWW! I just love RED to pieces! Petey was not friendly like that in puppy class....he would run from ALL the other dogs including the little furry slipper size ones!

Carol ox

·
Premium Member
10,537 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Carol! :) We're lucky because Red is such a social butterfly - he loves everyone and every dog... even if they don't really like him back, LOL

·
Premium Member
10,537 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
dont you just love those fuzzy german shepard puppies haha :)
Yes! But I'm glad I don't have to deal with all the hair all over the house! lol

·
Registered
1,031 Posts
Red really is a cutie pie! Its good he loves other pups Tia was (and still is to a certain extent) a little timid around other dogs. She got attacked when she was about 4 months old at our local park by 2 dogs who were off their lead and its left her kind of wary - we are working on it though!

·
Premium Member
10,537 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Red really is a cutie pie! Its good he loves other pups Tia was (and still is to a certain extent) a little timid around other dogs. She got attacked when she was about 4 months old at our local park by 2 dogs who were off their lead and its left her kind of wary - we are working on it though!
Aww, I'm sorry to hear that. It's such a shame that one owner's negligence can lead to another dog being mentally scarred from a bad experience. I've been wanting to take Red to a dog park because I know he would have fun, but I'm a little wary because of this very reason...

·
Registered
16,037 Posts
Good pics Burns....Looks like you have a couple of keepers. Red is such a good boy and has brains to boot.:bad:
Congradulations to you and all of your family!!!

·
Registered
2,330 Posts
What a gorgeous pup! Love those huge paws! Looks as tho Red loves his classes!

So sorry to hear that Tia had such a scare! Java had a few experiences when I first took her to the DP at 6-7 months. Nothing too agressive happened towards her, but a few of the dogs tried asserting their dominance, and some adult dogs just don't tolerate all that puppy energy, no matter how big the pup. Tables have long since turned, tho. One dog that would 'pick' on Java and tussle with her, now gives her 10' clearance, since she is now bigger and twice as heavy as this dog is. They will now run together but the bullying stopped long ago as Java gained more weight, height and confidence.

When Java was a pup, I would 'hover' a bit, always within a few feet to remove her from a situation before it became a problem. This included her stopping her from pestering older dogs that wanted nothing to do with a high-octane pup. Bringing a toy to the DP that is only played with there can be a helpful distraction. Actually, I still hover a bit, or at least never take my eyes off of her.

I find that the older residents and women who free-lance from home tend to bring their dogs to the DP late mornings, so that Java has labs, retrievers, spaniels, springer spaniels to play with. Pups will show up around this time as well. The single guys with their more aggressive males tend to come in after 4:30, and this is def not the time to bring a pup to the DP.

·
Supersized Warlock Alpha
6,923 Posts
Awwww... sounds like he's being a great Doberman representative! That is one long-haired GSD! Henneh is shedding like MAD lately. I'm so ready for a single-coated breed.

Keep up the good work!

·
Premium Member
10,537 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks so much LindaH, JavasMom, and Bean! :D

I find that the older residents and women who free-lance from home tend to bring their dogs to the DP late mornings, so that Java has labs, retrievers, spaniels, springer spaniels to play with. Pups will show up around this time as well. The single guys with their more aggressive males tend to come in after 4:30, and this is def not the time to bring a pup to the DP.
Great advice! Thanks a lot :biggthump I definitely remember this.

·
Banned
6,743 Posts
All these red boys :) They are so cute. Love the long hair GSD also. Sounds like Red is going to be awesome in obedience. Keep up the great work!

·
Registered
262 Posts
I've been wanting to take Red to a dog park because I know he would have fun, but I'm a little wary because of this very reason...
You have a nice social boy with a great disposition. You don't want to ruin that with a dog park. I don't think it's worth the risk. All it takes is one incident, unfortunately.

·
Registered
3,571 Posts
Very cute. That shepherd pup is fuzz ball.

Reactions: Burns
1 - 16 of 16 Posts