Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

· pawz-up
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
so i have had my boy Ares for about a week now he will be 8 weeks tomorrow when we got him (from craiglist) he was great perfect markings and all and he was traditional black and rust just, howver just now I saw him at an angle where the light hit him and he looked as if he were turning to a deeeep brown and rust color. i wanted to know if this was normal? i hope i didnt get a mut from someone. anywho thanks everyone for you help

· Registered
248 Posts
Ouch. The fact that he was from Craigslist cant be good.
Id take him to the vets and see what they say.
My Mix changed colours his pure black tummy got some white hairs and his brown lightend but he was a Dobie Husky mix so it was to be expected....

· Got mutt?
Leo, Lily, and Simon
15,454 Posts
Ouch. The fact that he was from Craigslist cant be good. Id take him to the vets and see what they say.
My Mix changed colours his pure black tummy got some white hairs and his brown lightend but he was a Dobie Husky mix so it was to be expected....
Pot, Kettle. Kettle, Pot.

Some black dogs can develop a reddish cast if they've been out in the sun, and have bleached their coat. But an eight week old pup shouldn't be spending that much time in the sun.

· pawz-up
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
yes i did get him from craiglist my vet said its a puppy thing. (whatever that means) and 7 weeks is about a week too early i thought as well but i guess the breeders didnt care about that law out here in california not sure what exactly the law is on this one. i doesnt spend much time in the sun at all he's an indoor dog he goes outside to go "do his business" and when he wants to play but usually he stays inside.

· Paralibrarian
6,223 Posts
i just might do that its all about the dog i just want him and his litter mates to be healthy
Those poor pups :( I wonder how people come to that decision, that breeding puppies = making a quick buck? How do they make it okay in their heads? It really just baffles me.

Is the pup with the posted ears yours as well? You're in for a wild ride, if you have two puppies!

The Whole Dog Journal has a great article on the difficulties of raising two puppies, and what you can do to mitigate your troubles (it isn't recommended, you see, but I also would definitely not recommend taking your boy back to the person you got him from! That person sounds a bit like they ought not have animals). This is another good article on raising two dogs at once.

· Premium Member
14,931 Posts
yes i did get him from craiglist my vet said its a puppy thing. (whatever that means) and 7 weeks is about a week too early i thought as well but i guess the breeders didnt care about that law out here in california not sure what exactly the law is on this one. i doesnt spend much time in the sun at all he's an indoor dog he goes outside to go "do his business" and when he wants to play but usually he stays inside.
Weird...sometimes I go years without running into the question of puppy coats changing colors and then it comes up 5 or 6 times on DT in three months.

I sound like a broken record. Puppies change coats about three times befor they are a year old. Dobe puppies with their short hair and single coats show it more than some puppies do.

A lot of black puppies if they weren't particularly well nourished at very young ages (or their mother wasn't) will have coats that aren't as slick and smooth as puppies coats on Dobes usually are--so the color tends to look rusty on black puppies (it's because the cuticle of the hair shaft is raised a little--reflects light differently) and tends to look sort of bleached on red puppies.

Your vet is right--it's fairly normal even on well cared for puppies who are reaching the point of the first coat change to see what looks like a color change. He's probably shedding out the very first of the puppy coats. In a couple of months the coat change should be complete and he'll look solidly black again and the coat texture should be smoother. And black puppies who spend a lot of time in the sun can and some do bleach a little just as some red dogs do which will also give a rusty cast to the coat.

Adult Dobermans should not have soft smooth coats but puppies do. Adults should have a smooth "hard" coat which feels a little harsh.

And some black Dobes even as adults have a slight "red" cast. One of my champion males did--and in certain lights it often looked like he had dark mahogany highlights. A lot of people were sure it was because he carried red as a recessive--which was a nice theory but that particular dog was dominant black carrying neither red nor dilution.

· Paralibrarian
6,223 Posts
took him to the vet just to be on the safe side and she said he's fine no worms.. i was beginning to panic the vet also said to wait until he's about 12-14 weeks once the puppy coat is done to worry about the change in color. (i think im just imagining it anyway)
Glad to hear he's fine! It's definitely worth the peace of mind, when you're worried about something, in my opinion. Better safe than sorry.

· Premium Member
5,389 Posts
took him to the vet just to be on the safe side and she said he's fine no worms.. i was beginning to panic the vet also said to wait until he's about 12-14 weeks once the puppy coat is done to worry about the change in color. (i think im just imagining it anyway)

I'm glad he is fine - It is hard to tell in pictures

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.