Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Please help. I just got a 10 week old male doberman that I named Kaiser. I am starting to question the breeder I got this puppy from and I am worried that these callouses are hurting him! I received a picture of the pup at 8 weeks old and I could see the marks on his elbow. I questioned the breeder and I was told it was rough housing among the litter. Made sense. Well when Kaiser arrived, I noticed they are on both front legs and they are callouses. Three or more callouses on both legs on an 8 week old puppy? How did this happen and please tell me if there is anything I can put on these. I started using Vitamin E oil but I am worried it is more serious and I am wondering if this is hurting him.

He is just adorable and I want to make sure I am doing everything I can for him.

Thanks everyone!

·
Registered
16,037 Posts
Take the puppy to the vet. He needs to go for aw wellness checkup anyway since youwjust bought him. The vet can answer all your questions better than we can. I can help but question how decent a breeder is that has an 8 wk old puppy with callouses. That sceams puppies in outside pens 24/7 to me.

·
sufferin succotash
9,168 Posts
ok. I won't give you a lecture on Britton, I think you already know :)

Has your vet checked out his callouses yet?

I got him from Britton Farms dobermans. Live and learn. We absoutely love him and want to make sure we do everything possible for his health.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thank you! We have an appointment tomorrow for the vet. In the meantime, I have been putting vitamin E oil on it. I'm just a nervous mom and any little thing has me searching the internet. I appreciate the feedback. I read about Elbow Hygroma and I'm worried that he has the beginning stages.

·
sufferin succotash
9,168 Posts
ok, good. Glad he's going to the vet. Hydromas can occur from laying on hard surfaces. I would make sure he stays on a soft bed. No laying outside on the cool concrete :) Here's more info on them: Hygromas: Nonpainful Swellings on Elbows, Hips, or Hocks of Dogs

Hope you stick around! Keep us updated on your little man!

Thank you! We have an appointment tomorrow for the vet. In the meantime, I have been putting vitamin E oil on it. I'm just a nervous mom and any little thing has me searching the internet. I appreciate the feedback. I read about Elbow Hygroma and I'm worried that he has the beginning stages.

·
Registered
16,037 Posts
Doubt if it is an elbow h. at his age. That is why I suggested you take him to the vet. A checkup and to relieve your worries. We know you paid a lot for him and he should have arrived in perfect condition. But that is what happens when you get to producing numbers. The care starts to slide and the pups become a product. That is my opinion anyway. Hope this doesnt have too many mistakes. On phone here.

·
Registered
16,037 Posts
Awwww, how sweet he looks. I see you already bought him a bad cuz...best present in the world. They last FOREVER!!! Watch the feet tho, if he starts eating them you will have to cut them off.

Please do keep us informed.:):):)

·
Registered
16,037 Posts
Should I request any specific tests be run by my vet?
I can't think of anything at this age. As long as he is eating good, feels good, playing food, then he is probably fine.

He just needs a thorough puppy wellness check by the vet. I would ask him to listen to make sure his heart is okay. But really a wellness check should pick anything wrong.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Wanted to let everyone know that Kaiser passed his wellness visit. The vet did give me some ointment to put on his calluses. I have noticed that they are looking better with me putting the vitamin E oil on them. Believe it or not, I can see the difference with just one day with the ointment. ;)

·
Registered
16,037 Posts
Thanks for the update. Really appreciate it. Glad to hear Kaiser is A-okay.:):):)

I should have mentioned that the vit e would probaly work fine on his callouses. I use it at times and it's a good overall skin cure for dry spots and such.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts