Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Someone sent this to me from the DPCA Facebook account and I thought it was worth sharing since so there seem to be a lot of new puppy owners on DT lately.

PUPPY DEVELOPMENT: Important information!

Pound Patrol
June 14, 2020
This is something everyone should see.

When you get your 8/10 week old puppies, please keep this image in mind. Their bones do not even touch yet. They plod around so cutely with big floppy paws and wobbly movement because their joints are entirely made up of muscle, tendons, ligaments with skin covering. Nothing is fitting tightly together or has a true socket yet.

When you run them excessively or don't restrict their exercise to stop them from overdoing it during this period you don't give them a chance to grow properly. Every big jump or excited bouncing run causes impacts between the bones. In reasonable amounts this is not problematic and is the normal wear and tear that every animal will engage in.
But when you're letting puppy jump up and down off the lounge or bed, take them for long walks/hikes, you are damaging that forming joint. When you let the puppy scramble on tile with no traction you are damaging the joint.

You only get the chance to grow them once. A well built body is something that comes from excellent breeding and a great upbringing-BOTH, not just one.

Once grown you will have the rest of their life to spend playing and engaging in higher impact exercise. So keep it calm while they're still little baby puppies and give the gift that can only be given once.

A bit of back-story: This is a baby puppy who had a knock to his elbow and wasn't using it properly, so he was taken to the vet. There is nothing wrong in these x-rays, thankfully it is a soft tissue injury and he is expected to be fine.

·
Registered
111 Posts
My breeder's mentor has this on her face book page, so we were always paranoid. Carried our girl up and down the stairs when small, put down runners everywhere, kept her off concrete and stayed on grassy surfaces until about six months, etc. Basically had a panic attack everytime she bounced around too much. Seriously, it was stressful!! She always looked at us like we were nuts!!! Oh hey, she stills gives us that look sometimes!! Lol. Good thing we really don't know what they think!😃😃

·
Registered
150 Posts
This is a great post. I will add that food/diet is important as well. I had my one dobie with bow legs in the front. Took him to the vet and they recommended surgery immediately. Something didnt seem right about that as hed play with his sibling a lot, wasnt in pain, etc.

My fiance and I looked into any other possibilities and called another known breeder just to make completely sure and it wound up being exactly this post combined with a switch from the breeder supplied kibble to a better balanced puppy kibble to support calcium/bone growth.

My dobie was gaining a bit too much weight than what his body could support. Within three weeks his bow legs straightened out and he started to stand up very strong.

Ps not all vets are bad but this one I want to go back and ring his neck.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts