Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone!

I am having some issues (at least I think:confused:) with bonding with my doberman pinscher puppy. I got my puppy 6 days ago, and he is everything that I imagined he would be (handsome, strong energetic etc.).
However, he seems very independent and more excited to see other people and dogs than me? He rarely wags his tail when he sees me, and is more content to play by himself than near my wife or me.

I have owned other puppies before and at a young age they followed me around like velcro, my doberman pup doesn't do that at all...and he likes to explore on his own...?

Is this normal behavior of the breed? I had been told (prior to getting my puppy) by numerous dobie owners that they were very connected to their owners and family? Were they mistaken?

How long does it take to really bond with a doberman puppy? Sorry for the rambling, I am just very confused and slightly upset that my puppy isn't bonding with me as I would have hoped!

Thanks in advance for the help and replies :thanx:

·
Small Handful of Woman
1,783 Posts
Welcome! I would love to see some pictures of your new guy!
I've never had a puppy, but I think its probably a good thing that he is confident and social :)
He'll soon realize that you are the source of all good things in his new life...food, treats, affection etc.
I don't think you'll have any trouble feeling bonded as time goes on...it's still new!
Enjoy your puppy!

·
Banned
1,141 Posts
my current dog -dobe -pit bull mix, (and have dobe pup on the way very very soon) even bit me when I got him...he was ferrel=starved etc...on street....once I was trying to get him to go outside and he didn't want to go and bit me=I had serious thought about keeping him...he was very hyper on top of it all..point is at first it seemed we would not bond

he is my fav dog ever==we DEFINATELY bonded...even now if I leave the house he looks out window...anticipates my returnn...if I am showering he is laying outside the door no matter how long it takes...point being...you are panicing too soon......give it time---just do the normal dog things you do and over time this will take care of itself--also Sparky was six months when I found him---

·
Dobes stole my heart <3
3,418 Posts
both of my girls have been bonded to me from the day they came home, and we had other dogs at the time too. When Nexus came home we had Mysti, and when Bella came home we had Nexus. They bonded with each other, but more so to me than anyone.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
@StarlightDobe - That is exactly the kind of relationship I want with my puppy (well socialized but still bonded to me)!

@PatchworkRobot - Thanks for the reply, I wasn't sure if this was a characteristic of the breed, I will give it some time! :)

@bean - He is 8 weeks and 6 days old (still young :)). He was raised more so with other dogs than people, but was socialized with humans too. Do you think this could be an issue, and if so, will it just take longer to bond?

·
Registered
186 Posts
I'm sorry. :( We had several visits with our little guy before we brought him home, and he was still a bit stand-offish the first few days afterwards. He's almost 18 weeks old now, and he's always by our sides. I'm sure he'll come around, and it'll definitely be worth it. These dobes are such clowns full of love. Striker is our first, and even though we've only had him a short time, I already can't imagine our family without a doberman in it. :)

·
Banned
1,141 Posts
well I am going pup crazzy...my pup should be born this weekend..can't wait !!!

·
joie de vivre
11,252 Posts
Some pups are just more independent than others. Fiona couldn't have cared less about my existence 90% of the time until she was close to 2 years old. As a little baby puppy the only time she followed me anywhere was to bite my feet and legs. If she could tell you her version of things I'm sure she'd say we "played" together every day, a lot. But my memory of it consists of trying to fend off constant attacks by a baby tiger I somehow brought home instead of a Dobe pup. I was covered in bites from puppy teeth. She'd refuse toys and come at me instead. I used to sit in the floor with a few toys and she'd run around me in circles, lunging in to bite me. I had to be fast to try to get the toy in her mouth but she landed some really good ones on my arms. They looked cut to pieces - like I had walked through a briar patch. LOL I still have small scars on my hands and arms from our "playing" when she was little. LOL She was always happy to see everyone in the world but she and I spent our bonding time on a learning curve for me to figure out how to handle such a willful, game playing, independent puppy. :)

Now that she's an adult she shows she's much more bonded to me in typical Doberman form - following me around, wanting to see what I'm doing all the time, cuddling next to me, etc. She's just not a dog to fall all over herself for anyone. She's super sweet and very social...but she's as contrary as they come. My last horse was the same way. Works out well for me at this point but it took me a while to figure out that's how she is because I, too, was expecting a Dobe pup who thought the sun rises and sets with me...LOL! Since I've moved beyond my denial we get along just fine. (She's actually a great dog at this point and wonderful to live with. But she made me earn every bit of our bond!)

Give it some time. 6 days together is pretty quick to feel beat up on and near defeat. You've got at least 2-3 more years of that to make it thru! ;) LOL

·
Registered
615 Posts
Not a problem.

It's been 6 days and he was just taken away from his mother and littermates. He's a baby and there is a ton out there more new & exciting to him then you.

Just keep treating him with respect and he'll bond in due time.

·
Registered
138 Posts
OMG, Fiona sounds like my Drogo!!

Before he was hospitalized, we were working very hard on the biting issue. He loves his toys, but my face, my husband's beard, and everyone's legs were fair game. He's also a tripper and loves being underfoot.

We are very close and have a stong bond, but he's a very independent dog as well. He's so curious and will explore all areas of the house and backyard without me.

·
Sirai Dobermans
2,100 Posts
Some pups are just more independent than others. Fiona couldn't have cared less about my existence 90% of the time until she was close to 2 years old. As a little baby puppy the only time she followed me anywhere was to bite my feet and legs. If she could tell you her version of things I'm sure she'd say we "played" together every day, a lot. But my memory of it consists of trying to fend off constant attacks by a baby tiger I somehow brought home instead of a Dobe pup. I was covered in bites from puppy teeth. She'd refuse toys and come at me instead. I used to sit in the floor with a few toys and she'd run around me in circles, lunging in to bite me. I had to be fast to try to get the toy in her mouth but she landed some really good ones on my arms. They looked cut to pieces - like I had walked through a briar patch. LOL I still have small scars on my hands and arms from our "playing" when she was little. LOL She was always happy to see everyone in the world but she and I spent our bonding time on a learning curve for me to figure out how to handle such a willful, game playing, independent puppy. :)

Now that she's an adult she shows she's much more bonded to me in typical Doberman form - following me around, wanting to see what I'm doing all the time, cuddling next to me, etc. She's just not a dog to fall all over herself for anyone. She's super sweet and very social...but she's as contrary as they come. My last horse was the same way. Works out well for me at this point but it took me a while to figure out that's how she is because I, too, was expecting a Dobe pup who thought the sun rises and sets with me...LOL! Since I've moved beyond my denial we get along just fine. (She's actually a great dog at this point and wonderful to live with. But she made me earn every bit of our bond!)

Give it some time. 6 days together is pretty quick to feel beat up on and near defeat. You've got at least 2-3 more years of that to make it thru! ;) LOL
This. My Siri and Fiona could be twins! I love her...I really, really do, but she doesn't NEED me if you know what I mean. Some are just significantly more independent than others.

Reactions: brw1982

·
Registered
281 Posts
Don't worry about it. Dogs and humans bond at their own pace. With my doberman it took quite a while for her to warm up to me as her "person". She loved everyone but no one was "special". We used to joke that she was really the hound dog's dog since she was way more interested in him than in us.

Now I wake up to her head on my shoulder, she sleeps in my bed and has to be touching me and we share chair space. The hound is glad she's moved her attention elsewhere too. She still loves everyone and will move from person to person to get attention but I am "special".

This took a period of months not days.

·
Riley's Mom
527 Posts
You sound like I did when I had my pup for a week or so, and was a little upset that he was more excited to see others than myself.

I think your pup's just so busy exploring and learning the ways of the household. It takes a little time for them to get used to things and for it to sink in that you = the best stuff. New things mean excitement. If you do daily training with simple sits/downs, treat them for looking at you when you call their name, and play a lot with them, etc., eventually it will sink in that everything awesome comes from you and they will be more eager to follow. I think dobe intelligence makes them inquisitive and their mind can wander easily.

I know that after a few weeks my boy simply would not leave me alone for one second!

As he got into the teenager stage though, it's been a bit harder to keep attention, lol, looking forward to when his mind matures.

·
Registered
12,009 Posts
.............But my memory of it consists of trying to fend off constant attacks by a baby tiger I somehow brought home instead of a Dobe pup. I was covered in bites from puppy teeth. She'd refuse toys and come at me instead. I used to sit in the floor with a few toys and she'd run around me in circles, lunging in to bite me..............
^^^^ :roflmao:

That brings back some recent memories, baby Kelly was a little sh*t when it came to biting.
Took me a few months for her to learn soft bite control, and the back of my hands could start to heal up.

I like to speak to my dogs in sentences, and as I recall, the first 2 months with new puppy - they have to comprehend the English language because we don't bark or bum sniff like a dog.
I'd be confussed if someone dropped me off in France with $20 in my wallet, wouldn't even know how to order a coffee or bacon & eggs, and soon go hungry - puppy gets plunked down into a new home & it appears everyone is talking jibberish...must be confusing (for a short period).

Your puppy will bond quick enough, just give it a little more time...we even have a soft dog mat in the kitchen, so puppy can stay with mom when supper is being prepared...or puppy is held, watching tv...tug of war is a great fun game, between you two...every little interaction helps.

·
Banned
535 Posts
No worries! I went through/am going through a very similar situation with my pup! I've encouraged my puppy to be independent from day 1. I never allowed her to suck up next to me when she was nervous and never gave into her screaming meltdowns when I would put her in her kennel. Because of it she has become quite the confident and well behaved little thing. However, for the longest time she was MUCH more excited about new people and would pretty much "suck up" to them. This was because being with "mommy" meant she had to be behaved and well disciplined but new people always made "excitable squealing noises" and let her jump and crawl all over them like a wild animal. I seriously had to lay down the law with new people. She is now allowed to greet them politely and then must return to my side or her bed or to whatever toy she was playing with. By staying consistent with this she has learned that there is nothing fun about new people. She has also learned that while mom may be strict, she is also the provider of food, treats, toys, and yummy raw bones! I actually just realized just how closely she was bonded with me when I took her out to a roping practice/picnic. She was a tad on the nervous side and absolutely stuck to my side like glue.

My favorite bonding moments with her are during morning cuddle time. I've never had a dog that cuddles quite as....intensely....as a Doberman!

Good luck with your baby! Any photos?

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

·
Registered
1,081 Posts
Hi everyone!

I am having some issues (at least I think:confused:) with bonding with my doberman pinscher puppy. I got my puppy 6 days ago, and he is everything that I imagined he would be (handsome, strong energetic etc.).
However, he seems very independent and more excited to see other people and dogs than me? He rarely wags his tail when he sees me, and is more content to play by himself than near my wife or me.
I went through the exact same thing when I got my girl. It seemed to me that she was more excited about other people than me.

The thing I loved most about the breed was that they are like "velcro". There were many times that I felt like it didn't matter whether i existed or not.

Fast forward a little over 5 months later and I have my "velcro" girl, but still on her terms. At times, she is my shadow and I can't move a step without her leaning against me or wanting pets and hugs. Other times, she is content to chew on a bone or play by herself.

Even on days where she is more independent, she will still come to either see if I'm doing something interesting, or just to see that I'm still there. I can be in the laundry room folding towels and I will hear her come in. She will see me, pause, then turn around and go back to what she was doing. Few minutes later, she will do it again.

I agree with everyone else, every dog is different and I think they bond in their own way. At the end of the day, she loves to cuddle, loves hugs and still wants me to hold her in my lap. I can see the love in her eyes and that's good enough for me.

Give it some time and you will see that bond grow. Hugs!

1 - 20 of 30 Posts