Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone!
Just was looking for some reassurance with the puppy biting! We have a 3 month old dobie puppy and we love him but WOW those puppy teeth hurt like hell. He especially goes for the ankles and feet. we’ve been doing redirection but i just want to know when they typically grow out of it.
Any stories or advice would help

·
Premium Member
9,808 Posts
Hi everyone!
Just was looking for some reassurance with the puppy biting! We have a 3 month old dobie puppy and we love him but WOW those puppy teeth hurt like hell. He especially goes for the ankles and feet. we’ve been doing redirection but i just want to know when they typically grow out of it.
Any stories or advice would help
There is a thread (Help my puppy is biting me)--maybe someone can link it for you--I basically discontinue all contract with the puppy if it's biting me anywhere--I either exit via a door and shut it in the puppies face (that's kind of hat other puppies do to litter mate who bite too hard. Go back 30 to 40 seconds later and if the puppy hasn't given up on the idea of thinking I'm another puppy he is crated briefly (most of the time they are kind of like an overstimulated toddler and need a nap) I don't leave them crated for long--3 or 6 minutes--either they calm down or more often fall asleep.

Takes me about two weeks to get the message across. But I hate being mouthed.

I know there people who just live with the behavior, knowing that it will disappear as the puppy grows adult teeth and figures out you don't play like puppies do.

dobebug/ABTLH

·
Super Moderator
Hairy Dog, RIP Caesar, Katana, Kip, Capri
25,573 Posts
Here's a link to the thread dobebug is talking about:

Basically it boils down to ignoring the puppy, leaving the puppy (shutting the door in his face) for about 1 minute, crating the puppy for 3-5 minutes in that order, escalating until he responds the way you want him to. A lot of the time, if you get to the crating stage (mine weren't crated years ago—we had a puppy-safe room that served as his den) you will come back and find him asleep. Puppies can get wound up when they are tired just like a human toddler does.

You do NOT hold his mouth shut, push him away, yell or swat at him. That is giving the puppy the attention he is craving; even though it is negative it still counts in their tiny little puppy minds. Some puppies will even consider that a form of play and keep coming back for more.

Your job is to teach him the kind of behavior that is acceptable and which will result in him getting your attention and praise.

·
Super Moderator
21,509 Posts
Reactions: LadyDi

·
Premium Member
7,499 Posts
Meanwhile, long sleeves and long pants will protect you from the little sharky !
Prevention can play a role.
Avoid games that allow hands to be close to those sharp teeth.
Ankles, well good time to practice “down-stay”, at least you get a head start!LOL....
Seriously, we all know what you are referring to with the teeth.
Just bumping into one of those teeth will leave a mark.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts