Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We have a 10 month old doberman puppy. He's really very well behaved most of the time.. but for some reason, when it comes to his biting we're having a really hard time. He doesn't chew anything he isn't supposed to. He doesn't bite any other people other than me and my boyfriend. He's even friendly with other animals. Sometimes he'll just get in a mood (while we're sitting watching tv or when I'm trying to walk around the house) and he will want to try to play by biting our hands, arms, feet, legs, clothes, shoes, pretty much anything he can get his teeth on really. We've had him for 8 1/2 months and let me just say this is not a new problem for him.. We've tried just about everything we can Google. We're a little lost in which direction to go now.. Any suggestions??

·
denormalized
5,824 Posts
We have a 10 month old doberman puppy. He's really very well behaved most of the time.. but for some reason, when it comes to his biting we're having a really hard time. He doesn't chew anything he isn't supposed to. He doesn't bite any other people other than me and my boyfriend. He's even friendly with other animals. Sometimes he'll just get in a mood (while we're sitting watching tv or when I'm trying to walk around the house) and he will want to try to play by biting our hands, arms, feet, legs, clothes, shoes, pretty much anything he can get his teeth on really. We've had him for 8 1/2 months and let me just say this is not a new problem for him.. We've tried just about everything we can Google. We're a little lost in which direction to go now.. Any suggestions??
Do you have things he is allowed to chew like chew toys, cuz toys, bully sticks, nylabones, antlers? (Avoid rope toys lying around - they are too dangerous)

If so, does he know he is allowed to chew them?

Do you redirect to toys when he starts to bite you or do you reward him by holding his head and looking into his eyes and having a chat with him?

If you ignore him, what does he do? Bite harder?

·
Registered
3 Posts
I"m having the same problem

I have also tried everything that they say on google. I tried walking away, I have tried to re-direct his attention, I have tried yelling ouch loudly and even holding his mouth closed like someone suggested and telling him NO! and trying to wait till he calms down. It seems as soon as I let go of his mouth he is jumping again and trying to bite me. My puppy Bach seems to do it at the same location everyday on our walk and then randomly other times.

He also like you dog does not do it with anyone else but me. He has put holes in at least 7 different pairs of pants and it is becoming a really issue. He is getting bigger and the bites are starting to really hurt.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Do you have things he is allowed to chew like chew toys, cuz toys, bully sticks, nylabones, antlers? (Avoid rope toys lying around - they are too dangerous)

If so, does he know he is allowed to chew them?

Do you redirect to toys when he starts to bite you or do you reward him by holding his head and looking into his eyes and having a chat with him?

If you ignore him, what does he do? Bite harder?
We have several different kinds of toys, soft and hard, that we keep put away in a closet. We rotate out between 3-4 different toys for a little while, so he doesn't get bored with his old ones, but we're also constantly purchasing new ones. We get him fresh cut bone marrows from the deli for a harder chew.

I'm pretty sure he knows he's allowed to chew on them. Half the time, he'll just pick up his toys or a bone and go lay down and chew if he wants to. Other times, not so much. It'll be a sneak attack from behind instead..

Admittedly, I haven't been that great with redirecting to toys so much anymore. I guess frustration is starting to get the better..I've been more enforcing the "no bite" instead of showing him what he's supposed to be doing instead..I didn't really think about that before..

If I ignore him, that's a toss up as well. Sometimes, he'll take a hint and turn around and walk off, go play with a toy or take a nap or something. Others, he will start biting and pulling at clothing, causing holes of course; he'll grab hands, feet, shoes, anything he can to try and make you turn around. So, I guess to make a short story long...Yes. He bites harder.

·
Guardian
1,384 Posts
Every pup is different. When Rouleaux was going through this, I would give him a toy, engage in play with the toy then walk way and leave the two.

As far as jumping, I am not sure exactly how I avoided this... he never jumped/s. I never encouraged it. I also never encouraged table foods as a pup. No mooching my my house ;)

·
Registered
841 Posts
I feel your pain...literally! Jewels was the mouthiest puppy I have EVER owned, she ripped my jeans, my shirts, drew blood, and she was persistent! Now persistence is a great thing if she's trying to protect me from a bad guy, not so good when she's biting everything in sight, including my hands, arms, legs, OUCH. She thought her name was Land Shark! Here's what I did:

1. Made sure she got lots of non-forced exercise, we played ball, went for walks, etc.

2. Taught her to fetch things, and she brings me (to this day) anything she can find. I also did very short training sessions all day, you can even do them during the commercials if you like to watch TV. I taught her simple tricks, and obedience commands. I found it was just as important to tire her mentally as it was physically.

3. When she would be mouthy, a 'yelp' only worked if I managed to not jerk my hand away. If I jerked my hand away, she came back lightening fast, and I'm pretty sure she was biting a little harder. Someone posted on this board that if you jerk your hand away when you yelp, you've now initiated a game of tug!! I found that to be true with Jewels.

4. I would redirect her to a toy, but sometimes that didn't work :(

5. Finally, she would quite often be her naughtiest at the end of the day. I figured out that she was just an over-tired toddler that needed some quiet time. I'd put her in her xpen and she'd pass out within 5 minutes.

She's now 2 years old and she's the very best dog ever!! So, hang in there, they DO get better.

·
Registered
153 Posts
Mattis is a little biter right now too. Its not unmanageable, but it takes some effort.

Redirection works for a bit, but he inevitably redirects himself back to whatever he was previously biting on. Short attention span I guess. He's got plenty of toys, all of which he likes. (I'm kind of impressed how little guy struts around with a full sized solid kong ball in his mouth). I didn't want to give him rope toys at first, and always supervise if I give him one, but he's really into chewing cloth for some reason (blankets, towels, the couch), so that seemed like the best option.

He'll go after pants, and try to pull the socks of your feet. I've been getting up and walking away completely when he does that like, "I don't want to play with you anymore". He seems to get it.

·
Registered
387 Posts
I have found success with the "touch" command. Instead of biting, I redirect to a touch on my palm. Its not 100% successful but gives them something to do instead of biting. Bugs isn't a biter per se but will take my hand in her teeth when she's feeling rowdy. It never hurts but I redirect to a touch because in our family teeth are never allowed on humans for any reason.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts