Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hey there,
I decided to write you to say something about my doberman puppy which is only 2,5 months old.
I know biting thems are very discussed here but I really want to know if there's something specific to me. Maybe I'm not trying the instructions that hard with him so I cant find sucessful results so far.

- He's my first doberman and I couldn't know he would behave like this. All he does is biting everyone legs, pants, feet, hands, or whatever he sees.
- I've tried the command ''no'' but he doesn't attend at all.
- When he bites me I often lock him to a small place and then turn again but he keeps doing the same.
- He is getting our relationship difficult because we can't have patient or funny times together
- I also know we can focus his bite on some objects (we bought about 3 or 4 toys) but lately i've been trying to do this but he forgot them all and seems to be more agressive or active.

Please, I want to know your opinion about this because I really want to be with him carefully and build a nice relationship with everyone at my home.

Thank you.

·
Registered
7,177 Posts
sounds like he's a typical dobe puppy.

redirect, redirect, redirect. he WILL grow out of it if you train consistently. you can absolutely use toys, and in fact this is my preferred method of redirection. if he gets too riled up, THEN remove yourself/whomever he's biting from the situation.

it gets better. but they're all like this when they're little. we call'em dobersharks for a reason. ;)

·
Registered
39 Posts
Hey there,
I decided to write you to say something about my doberman puppy which is only 2,5 months old.
I know biting thems are very discussed here but I really want to know if there's something specific to me. Maybe I'm not trying the instructions that hard with him so I cant find sucessful results so far.

- He's my first doberman and I couldn't know he would behave like this. All he does is biting everyone legs, pants, feet, hands, or whatever he sees.
- I've tried the command ''no'' but he doesn't attend at all.
- When he bites me I often lock him to a small place and then turn again but he keeps doing the same.
- He is getting our relationship difficult because we can't have patient or funny times together
- I also know we can focus his bite on some objects (we bought about 3 or 4 toys) but lately i've been trying to do this but he forgot them all and seems to be more agressive or active.

Please, I want to know your opinion about this because I really want to be with him carefully and build a nice relationship with everyone at my home.

Thank you.
Sounds oh so typical! Believe it or not they do get out of it! When our puppy gets too riled up/excited I remove her from the situation-time out for a minute so she can settle down.

When she tries to bite, I yelp and turn away-totally ignore her. She is getting alot better and I am noticing she is licking me more now than biting. She is twelve weeks now and not yet teething so I do expect the biting to ramp up a bit!

One suggestion.....you said you had three or four toys......we have TONS of toys-dobermans are so inquisitive and get bored easily so we switch the toys around every so often-helps tremendously to have lots of toys and things to chew on! Good luck!

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
He keeps biting people in every way
i dont always redirect his bites because i aint got enough time and i'm not always at home

sometimes we are playing as usual and i dont usually care everything on my hands so all i can do is lock him or put in a small place

he's growing and getting faster

i'm trying to do everything is possible, and i'm thinking on call a trainer

if you guys have some new ideas, please answer me

thank y'all.

·
Registered
7,177 Posts
an obedience trainer - someone who will work WITH you, rather than taking the dog for a set time and training without you involved - would be perfect.

i'm concerned, though, that you feel you don't have the time to train your dog. puppies are a full time job until they're AT LEAST a year old, and frequently until they're at least 2 years of age. please prioritize this puppy to ensure you have a dog you can live with in the long term.

·
Registered
99 Posts
I don't like the way you think your the perfect doberman owner falnfenix always criticising others when all they want is a little help not you telling them they should not have a dog if you don't want to help just critise don't comment on dog training methods

·
Registered
7,177 Posts
i'm not here to give you happy fuzzy bunny time, dude. i'm being honest to myself, here. i was IMMENSELY frustrated with my previous puppy...because i assumed he'd be trained easily. when he wasn't, i got help, but that came in the form of someone working with BOTH of us, so i learned what he was learning at the same time.

furthermore, i was helpful. i applauded astor_br's plan to get a trainer to help. and sometimes, people really do need to be told the truth: dobe puppies ARE a full time job, and DO require a LOT of work. omitting that, or going against that truth, would be lying...and it does no one any good to lie.

·
Registered
303 Posts
Major was AWFUL about biting! The kids were scared of him. His teeth were like razors. I actually had people as me if I was working with rose bushes because I had so many cuts and scrapes on my arms. Was really frustrating. We tried everything. He eventually outgrew it and is now(at age 6) a perfect gentleman. Hang in there, my friend.

·
AmLex
334 Posts
^^^^^yeah I also have 3 scars on my hands to this day from my girl being a dobersjark. She is 16 months now and occasionally have to remind her 'no bite' so she then licks my hand instead. 2 things I did was say 'no bite' and then take my hand away whilst giving her a toy. Eventually I only had to say 'no bite' then she'd immediately stop and lick me. It does get better I promise. For the first 6 months everyday I won't up thinking 'I can't do this' but I did and I look back now and we have come so so far together. At 16 months she is one of the best behaved dogs we come across on our walks and everyone says so. ALOT of hard work and perseverance went into her training but boy I feel lucky at how lovely (most of the time) she is now. I'd also echo the toy thing though...my girl has around 20-30 toys which we rotate because they get bored with them and as a young dog your girl will have the attention span of a fish and will most likely play with them all within 30 seconds!

·
Always Grateful
6,952 Posts
Some of what you are doing probably seems like play to your pup. If you use your hands to push him away or pin him down with your hands, those may very well be play motions to your pup. Disengage completely when he bites. Turn your back to him for 10 seconds (count). If he isn't biting your feet turn back around and play with a stuffed toy or other dog toy. Don't EVER push and play around with your hands! They can't be "toys" one moment and off limits for biting the next. Buy tons of tug toys or make some. Keep them everywhere that you interact with the puppy. That way you will be able to grab a toy at anytime and engage the puppy with the toy instead of with your hands or clothes or shoes.

There are some great training tips online for puppies who bite.
Puppy Bite Inhibition | Teach puppy not to bite

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
at first, thank y'all again

my puppy is growing faster and faster, although i cant have many times to train him he seems to be learning a little bit about no biting.. how someone said its very frustating to start teaching him something and it seems like... he's not worried about learning :mad:

sometimes we can see slow results when we can notice the difference, for example, when he hears me saying 'no bite' ou just an expression of advertise and then he moves away from the direction and start looking at me

unfortunetaly, it doesnt happens all times, mainly when he's very excited and bites everyone again.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Some of what you are doing probably seems like play to your pup. If you use your hands to push him away or pin him down with your hands, those may very well be play motions to your pup. Disengage completely when he bites. Turn your back to him for 10 seconds (count). If he isn't biting your feet turn back around and play with a stuffed toy or other dog toy. Don't EVER push and play around with your hands! They can't be "toys" one moment and off limits for biting the next. Buy tons of tug toys or make some. Keep them everywhere that you interact with the puppy. That way you will be able to grab a toy at anytime and engage the puppy with the toy instead of with your hands or clothes or shoes.

There are some great training tips online for puppies who bite.
Puppy Bite Inhibition | Teach puppy not to bite
But i've tried this way so
believe me, when i need to do some action with my hands down i may be pretty sure he'll run to me.. everything i can do at that situation is to move him w/ my own hands, i also try to redirect his bite with every thing i can see (if its possible) at the moment, but when whe move away from him he starts biting again, but this is just a question of time...

·
Registered
7,177 Posts
he's still a baby, Astor. this is going to take time. a LOT of time. keep being consistent and eventually you'll see results, i promise. just be consistent.

here's one way of looking at it: do you expect a 2 year old human to understand what you want them to do the first, fifth, or tenth time you ask them to do it? no! you keep showing them, because they're a baby. :) same thing with your puppy. he'll get it, just be consistent.

·
denormalized
5,824 Posts
How old was your puppy when he left the litter? This is a very pertinent and important question.

Not all doberman puppies are biters. Lana certainly isn't and Yoda wasn't and neither was Boris. Chewer of toys and furniture, yes; biter, no. I had a couple of biters long time ago but these last 3 must have benefited from my earlier puppies because I try hard to entertain, redirect and tire them out. I make sure puppies get crated when not attended to. You can't treat a doberman (or most dog breeds either) puppy as a cat and expect them to relax quickly in your arms or on your lap.

Sounds like the puppy needs more play with you and a toy so that he knows what he can do rather than being negative and telling him only what he can't do. Most toys are ot enticing unless they move or make noise. Make sure toys are not left with your puppy when you are not there if they could be choking or obstruction hazards (soft fluffy toys, anything the puppy could eat).

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 · (Edited)
How old was your puppy when he left the litter? This is a very pertinent and important question.

Not all doberman puppies are biters. Lana certainly isn't and Yoda wasn't and neither was Boris. Chewer of toys and furniture, yes; biter, no. I had a couple of biters long time ago but these last 3 must have benefited from my earlier puppies because I try hard to entertain, redirect and tire them out. I make sure puppies get crated when not attended to. You can't treat a doberman (or most dog breeds either) puppy as a cat and expect them to relax quickly in your arms or on your lap.

Sounds like the puppy needs more play with you and a toy so that he knows what he can do rather than being negative and telling him only what he can't do. Most toys are ot enticing unless they move or make noise. Make sure toys are not left with your puppy when you are not there if they could be choking or obstruction hazards (soft fluffy toys, anything the puppy could eat).
your comment describes almost all about my situation
my puppy left the litter when he was only 1 month, but wait, i was completely conscient about it and i knew the harm to his behavior, but the owner of the dogs didnt have much time to take care of them. I mean... the dogs were born in a farm and i knew there was no specific care about them (they weren't alone at all) in fact of his mother didnt want to breestfead them (dont know if it was hurting or something)
so i decided to take my one earlier!!
The owner was feeding them with steak and they were only 25 days old!! I'm not saying it was his fault here, ok? There were some conditions to made me act this way.

·
Registered
7,177 Posts
that actually explains QUITE a bit about his behavior...and it means you've got a tougher job ahead of you than most.

this is where i bow out of the conversation. all of my (admittedly limited) experience came from raising puppies from 8+ weeks. good luck.

Reactions: SieYa

·
denormalized
5,824 Posts
your comment describes almost all about my situation
my puppy left the litter when he was only 1 month, but wait, i was completely conscient about it and i knew the harm to his behavior, but the owner of the dogs didnt have much time to take care of them. I mean... the dogs were born in a farm and i knew there was no specific care about them (they weren't alone at all) in fact of his mother didnt want to breestfead them (dont know if it was hurting or something)
so i decided to take my one earlier!!
The owner was feeding them with steak and they were only 25 days old!! I'm not saying it was his fault here, ok? There were some conditions to made me act this way.
Puppies that leave the litter before 8-9 weeks old have not been trained by the littermates and the dam on how to interact with other dogs and, by extension, people. Your task when you took the puppy so young was to act like a littermate or the dam and teach the puppy, using appropriate dog language, how to behave.

I am not qualified to help you with your problem now and probably wouldn't have been successful in your same situation either. That is very hard to compensate for. You will need to spend some time with a good behaviorist and see if this can be remedied.

I am not assigning blame, just trying to help with extracting the facts that influence the behavior so that you can get the right help.

·
denormalized
5,824 Posts
So it means that i cant use the normal rules to train him and i must talk to a professional, is that right?
Yes, I certainly would - someone who understands this shortfall in the puppy's upbringing. Not blaming; it is simply a fact that needs to be considered and handled.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts