Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 14 week old has a rash on his stomach, sprang up after a long walk in a new area today.

he isnt in pain but we all know that doesn’t mean anything.
No new cleaning products or in house exposure.
Maybe a plant of some type?
What should I be doing to help it go away?
And anyone have any guesses to what it is so I can avoid it in the future?

Attachments

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
How fast did it appear hours or days

You know what stinging nettles looks like if you walked same path you should have felt them too if in shorts

A lot of weeds can irritate that soft tummy area rye grass.
maybe an hour afterward, maybe 2 but yeah we have stinging nettles here and I actually mentioned that to my girlfriend.
I looks this morning and the rash is still there but significantly less.
So I’m assuming plants of some type.

·
Super Moderator
Hairy Dog RIP Caesar, Katana, Kip, Capri
30,247 Posts
They look rather like hives to me, which can be an allergic or sensitivity reaction to all kinds of things, not just some kind of obvious contact irritation like nettles or insect stings. Ideally, a vet should look at them to see if that is the case--typically antihistamines help hives, but that's basically a band-aid treatment.

If they are showing up intermittently, I would start keeping a log. Include things like what he eats, what he plays with, where he has been sleeping, anything you have done to his coat or skin (even just a brushing or a hose spraying in the yard with no soap), things you've done around the house to clean, where he has been outside both in your yard and on walks, any changes you can think of to his environment.

Note the date and time for the various exposures; note the time the hives show up, where on his body they are, and when they start going away. Hives can come and go quickly, and often show up fairly soon after the dog is exposed to the problem substance.

That might help you ID what the problem is.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
They look rather like hives to me, which can be an allergic or sensitivity reaction to all kinds of things, not just some kind of obvious contact irritation like nettles or insect stings. Ideally, a vet should look at them to see if that is the case--typically antihistamines help hives, but that's basically a band-aid treatment.

If they are showing up intermittently, I would start keeping a log. Include things like what he eats, what he plays with, where he has been sleeping, anything you have done to his coat or skin (even just a brushing), things you've done around the house to clean, where he has been outside both in your yard and on walks, any changes you can think of to his environment.

Hives can come and go quickly, and often show up fairly soon after the dog is exposed to the problem substance.

That might help you ID what the problem is.
Definitely a good call, I’ll log it up.
I was thinking maybe hives but google said they are rare in dogs. So who knows

·
Super Moderator
Hairy Dog RIP Caesar, Katana, Kip, Capri
30,247 Posts
I don't know that they are that rare, but maybe they are a less likely form of skin problems than say, infections or bug bites.

But they can look a little different from bites, pricks or infections. They tend to be just several individual bumps or a lot of run together bumps that swollen and may be sort of soft rather than a hard hot lump.

Complicating the whole thing is that an insect bite or sting, or plant prickles, for example, can cause hives in other areas, not just where the skin injury happened. So you could have both--signs of pricked skin or a red rash, and soft swellings scattered around on his body.

Here's a quick write-up for some starting info:

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Pictures sure look different then the other day pics think I be keeping him out of water till you figure this out
we hit the water in the mornings and these have been happening at night.
Usually after our night adventures.

cleaned off the seat covers with pet wet wipes and there was only alittle reaction yesterday and so the covers are in the wash today.

I’ll let you all know if that solves it.

·
Premium Member
10,013 Posts
If you must clean your dog …use 3 parts water to 1 part vinegar.
Shake dry….no rubbing.
Just pour the COOL mixture over you dog.
This mixture is a natural astringent that will aid in maintaining a natural PH balance to the dogs skin.
Hope improvement is already happening.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
If you must clean your dog …use 3 parts water to 1 part vinegar.
Shake dry….no rubbing.
Just pour the COOL mixture over you dog.
This mixture is a natural astringent that will aid in maintaining a natural PH balance to the dogs skin.
Hope improvement is already happening.
This is exactly what I was looking for.

thanks for the advice, I’ll definitely use this in the future.

yeah, after each “flair up” his belly is back to normal in a hour or 2. Im assuming after it’ll be better after whatever is cleaned off my seat covers.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts