1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Registered
16,038 Posts
Did the vet suggest a course of treatment, give you any antibiotics? If you are feeding out of a plastic bowl switch to stainless steel and wash after every feeding. Wipe his chin after meals and use a Stridex pad to clean and dry up the acne. Parker had a case of it but not as severe as your boys. Oh, be careful and dont let him snatch any of the Stridex pads and swallow. Best wishes!

·
Living la Vida Loca!
2,552 Posts
I would go see another vet. From the pictures it seems rather large. I would think the vet would have at least prescribed you something. Years ago my cat had feline acne and it was no where as severe as your pics and the vet prescribed antibiotics and did a follow up in a week. I know cats are different than dogs but it still seems another course of treatment should be warranted. Good luck.:butfly:

·
Registered
16,038 Posts
Okay, just be sure to change bowls if it is plastic and most important, wash the bowl with dish washing detergent after every feeding. A dirty bowl would be where he is spreading the infection all over his chin and will prevent you from ever really clearing the infection up.

·
Registered
1,957 Posts
I looked at your pictures and the acne that Capone had did not look like that. Capone had acne really bad (at least we thought it was) more on the bottom of his chin. We changed out Capone's bowls because he had plastic ones and we would always washed out his bowls after each feeding!! We put neosporin on his chin and a couple of months later his acne was gone!!!

·
Owned by Dobes since 1975
30,675 Posts
ask your Vet about using an oinment with Zinc in it.

Hopefully as his immune system matures he will not be troubled by them again.

Hugz to Roscoe!

·
Registered
636 Posts
I've had 2 male Dobermans with chin 'acne' and it definitely didn't look that severe. I had been feeding from a plastic dish and after changing to a stainless steel as others have suggested, and wiping the chin after every meal etc., it cleared up in no time. I also find that a 'sloppy drinker' can do this too. Winston would leave some water on his chin and of course that would lead to some 'acne'. But not this much.

Getting a second opionion might be something to consider as well. It looks painful.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
thanks for all the feedback..roscoe and i appreciate it....just want to know if the ppl who did encounter the acne did it at least look like roscoes..somewhat??:)

·
Registered
793 Posts
Bronson had the same bumps ... the vet actually gave up pet Benzyl Peroxide ...it worked like a charm but we do have to wipe his chin after every meal now.

·
Registered
732 Posts
Finn has staph and as well the chin thing you have(thanks Proplan LOL). Chin thing has disappeared along with staph with the antibiotics. Been on antibiotics for almost two weeks.
Dog was perfect till proplan diet which seemed to encourage problems in his coat and chin.

·
Dobes stole my heart <3
3,418 Posts
we use ceramic bowls and clean them out after meals as well as wipe the chins off. I think the ceramic and the stainless are both much better than plastic.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts