Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just got my new puppy Rex on Friday. This will be his third night with us at home. The first night he slept through the night and was woken up once at 3am to go to the bathroom because I took him out on my own. Last night was a totally different story. He would cry, sleep and wake up screaming every two hours. I took him out twice at 1 am and 3 am and he peed each time.

I have been reading on this site that some people’s puppies can last a whole night in their crates at 8 weeks old. I pulled his food and water at 7pm. im Thinking on putting him in at 1030 or 11 and wearing earplugs and letting him out at 5 am next when I wake up. Good idea or no?

·
Super Moderator
21,688 Posts
At his age I'd be setting an alarm to take him out once during the night. Probably take him out sometime around 10 or 11 pm, then again at maybe 3 am, then up again at 6 or 7 am. Most puppies won't sleep through the night at that age. Some do, but not most.

·
Premium Member
7,829 Posts
Their bladders are still real small so they deserve to be allowed out every 4-5 hours.
But the out that takes place in the early AM hours should be on leash and strictly business.
Otherwise they will see this as a great opportunity to play and sniff around.

·
Premium Member
9,955 Posts
DMC --- Welcome to DT ! And welcome to the Doberman world - lol Your Rex sounds to me like a normal Dober pup -- waking up crying , the ones that you read about sleeping all night were a exception ! Not the rule . Our little girl slept pretty good the first 3 nights - I would just get up and take her out . Then like yours - she would let you know , To me , thats a good thing , they let you know ! Remember - they are just like having a baby around .

Earplugs ??? Now that was funny and wishful thinking , LOL

btw - her nails need trimmed - : ))

Best of luck

·
Registered
2 Posts
Our Xorro is almost 13 weeks old at the moment and will usually need to pee once in the night around 3am. If you pay attention I really think you can tell the difference between "I just woke up and want to play" cry and the "I need to potty cry" Xorro has a deeper grunt like cry when it is time to go outside! My rule of thumb is when he wakes me up I don't give him any attention for 2-3 min and if he is continuing to cry we will go on the leash right outside to potty and right back to the crate with no detours. Lots of the time he will just cry a few times and fall right back to sleep when he sees that dad isn't rescuing him from the crate.

·
Registered
Sherlock
32 Posts
I was up every 2-3 hours for nearly a month with Sherlock, whom I got at 8 weeks. Like LadyDi said, they have tiny bladders! After that first month, he started sleeping through the night until 6 or 7 am.

I'd recommend giving it a minute before taking your pup out of their crate to make sure it's not just whining to whine. Then I carried him outside to potty so he couldn't have an accident on the way, and then immediately back inside (I didn't even look at or pet Sherlock unless I was praising for a good potty) and in the crate so your pup understands that waking up in the middle of the night is just for bathroom purposes. No playtime.

It was a rough few weeks, but I was so grateful when he started sleeping through the night. Good luck, he's a cutie!

·
Premium Member
8,589 Posts
This every 4 hours potty break during the night also works for 13 year old Dobermans as well - haha.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts