Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi, i have a 8month Dobie, i took him for a walk a couple of days ago and we came across some skateboarders, well turns out my Dobie is terrified of them (which i didnt know) and he freaked out!! the skateboard itself doesn't scare him, it's the noise. He was not aggresive in any way he was just soo scared that he somehow got out of his choke collar and ran for his life! Scariest moment for me too since he ran towards the street and in between cars. Was a very bad and scary experience for both of us. I was not in control at all, and have been scared to take him out of the house ever since...I would really appreciate any advice or tips...Thanks...

·
u mad?
6,476 Posts
I'd work on slowly introducing him to the sound. You can't blame the poor thing for being scared, he's probably never heard one before. Try starting at home with Youtube, play videos that have people skating and the sound in them and reward calm behavior from Gunner with lots of treats. After that (if this were my dog) I'd take him to a skate park and either sit in your car with the window down or sit far away so he can watch (still rewarding with treats) and slowly move closer as the dog's comfort allows.

·
Super Moderator
22,015 Posts
First, I would put your dog in a martingale collar to prevent him getting loose like that.

Second, I would recommend the slow introduction as well. You need to get far enough away that he doesn't react to the skateboard at all. I'd recommend using a clicker. As soon as he can hear or see the tiniest sound or sight of the skateboard, click and treat. Once he's very, very comfortable with where you are, you move a little bit closer. Again, you will click and treat the skateboard. You will continue to move closer and closer. Do this not in one day, but over an extended time, never getting close enough that he is frightened. You want to condition him to have a very positive response to skateboards.

·
Registered
3,587 Posts
Put the TV on Fuel TV when the skate shows are on. You can hear the noise maybe not as loud. So turn it UP! Kyrah barks at extreme sports on TV thankfully not as much as she use to. I have taken her to skate parks and she is fine not much of a reaction. Other than she doesnt want to be in the way of any of the boards. But in the neighborhood she does get spooked more by them. One time we were walking and 2 boys came by and she was very spooked! Almost in a panic mode. Luckily they were skating at the school across the street from the one I was at and I take treats most of the time. So we played LAT(look at that) game from across the street. I wanted her to be calm with the situation before letting her leave. Yes, I was out there another 20mins and was really ready to go home since that is where we were headed. But I do agree with Ceasar on the fact that you cannot set time limits. Once something happens or you start on something you need to work on it calmly and with no time limits.

Then as others have said start a safe distance back that your dog is not over reacting to and let him get used to it. Then slowly move closer. If he is food motivated treats work wonders. Make sure you are treating for looking and not the nervous behavior. Let him look in that direction and then back at you. Or like was mentioned when he looks click. He will then immediately look back at you for the treat.

ETA: Also another thing we did with Kyrah was to have her nose touch the skateboard at home. I had already taught her touch. So if I put a new object in front of her. She almost always touches it or smacks it with a paw. So I did touch with her & the skateboard. Touch/treat...touch/treat...smack with paw/treat

We were trying to get her to pull my hubby. I have taught her not to pull and she does it very well. Pretty much the only way we can get her to do it is to have me in front of her on the bike. Or me tell her to wait and me go down the street and call her. Woah!! Way to fast for my comfort zone. Not ready to loose my hubby.
Here is a video of her and hubby. He went around the block with her but said she pretty much just stayed on the side of him.

20gOSJ1GfLk&list=UUd2dgnS1cjV7qWw_r0Nd44A&index=20&feature=plcp

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the advice guys. and trust me i know it will take time, consistency is everything! as soon as that happened i googled and tried to get as much info as i could. i got a tore up old skateboard from a nephew of mine and have been working with getting him used to the noise. for now i have only worked with him inside and with a leash and it seems to be helping. idk if he'll react different once he's off the leash but for now it seems like he's not so scared of the noise but more curious which i think is a big step in the right direction. he looks at it and smells it then ignores it. i have def been using treats since he is very food motivated. the youtube idea sounds great, maybe i'll try doing that.

·
Premium Member
8,030 Posts
Puppies go though fear periods this may be one also you can look up fear periods in puppies.Also do not make a big deal out of him being afraid will just make him worse.Re introduce him to skate boards slowly,he should be fine.Just takes time with puppies go slow.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts