Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
3,593 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Lately Duchess has been puking a little after waking up or a couple hours after waking up...She will always be at the same spot...on the stairs and puke in the same spot. It only happens in the early day it seems like...but probably 3 days in the past week...it isnt much throw up...just about a cup coaster size of puke...just brownish yellow...and it is thin consistency...she is not puking up food...

any ideas?

·
Registered
602 Posts
Sorry there isn't a whole lot I know about this, but Princi did this a few times when she was younger. Took her to the vet and he said it was something she got into and it upset her stomach. Told me to fast her for 24 hours and then give her bland food (boiled rice and boiled chicken..etc) for a few days and see if that helps. Just a few questions to see if the symptoms are the same as Princi's.

Is there a difference in her stool as well?

Any changes in her diet?

Does she do it after eating in the morning?

Does she "seem" to behave any different these days?

Good Luck
Naveen

·
Registered
421 Posts
Is she eating right when she gets up in the morning? If there stomach is empty it'll happen. I feed byron a couple cookies at night and a cup of food first thing in the morning to prevent him from doing it.

·
Registered
101 Posts
I agree with joce, my poodles will do that also if they go to bed with an empty tummy and then don't eat for a while when they get up. You should try giving her a little something to eat before bedtime and again right when you get up. Goodluck!

·
Registered
3,593 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Is there a difference in her stool as well?
her stools are usually fine...sometimes there will be this weird fluid in them...like a membrane or something...poop babies? lol jk

Any changes in her diet?
my mom said she doesnt think turkey agrees with them...she would notice what changes and what effects it has on them more than me...I just feed them the basic lunch of some dry mixed with some can...and lil bit of water...

Does she do it after eating in the morning?
she does it before she eats...a little after she wakes up...Im thinking it may be like Joce said about the empty tummy

Does she "seem" to behave any different these days?
she acts the same except during the puking phase...I think she gets depressed and weirded out when she pukes...but then once its cleaned up and later on she acts perfectly fine

I will try to feed her a little something at night for now on and see if that helps ...although it wasnt recently...it was probably in a few months ago...we went from feeding small meals 3 times a day...to feeding her 2 times a day...

Thanks guys...i feel more at ease now that it probably is just an upset stomach...or most likely an empty one

·
Registered
3,942 Posts
Based upon what you said and how it looks try a morning time cookie or two right when she wakes up or a handful or two of her food. A nighttime cookie too if she goes a long time in between meals. Should solve the problem.

·
Banned
675 Posts
The yellowis stuff is probably bile and when a dog throws that up it means the stomach is empty. It doesn't necessarily mean the emtpy stomach is the reason the dog is throwing up, just that there's no food inside to throw up.

But I've seen this with my IGs, as a toy breed they often need to be fed more frequently than large breeds. Small breed dogs can be hypoglycemic and three of mine were. They had to be fed twice a day or they would have seizures. Sometimes they threw up the yellow bile right before a seizure. Once I started feeding them twice a day instead of once a day these symptoms went away. That was enough for my dogs, but some other IGs I knew of needed to fed more often than twice a day, and/or to have a midnight cookie. In Duchess' case, as dandd said, if a midnight/right before bed cookie doesn't stop the morning puking, you can try adding a cookie given as soon as she wakes up.

·
Registered
6,589 Posts
Lexus and her mother both have went through bouts of this, we just give a cookie or two immediately in the AM before breakfast and right before bed time, and it has solved it.

·
Registered
3,593 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
so I gave her a couple cookies at night and then when she woke up in the morning and she did NOT puke! :) lol I think the treats also lifted her spirits! She got all happy and in a better mood. :)

1 - 11 of 11 Posts