Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
You can't kill the metal
832 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've recently allowed Lexi to roam around in my bedroom at night. She is used to being put in her crate and it's been that way since I got her.

I want to start trusting her without supervision so I removed/organized any items that she could get into and closed the bedroom door while we slept. I figure I would allow her more access to the house gradually, to see how she deals with the situation.

I laid down a blanket on the floor outside of her crate to sleep on and her crate has her pillow, should she decide to sleep in there. She seems to prefer the blanket outside of her crate.

Ever since I started keeping her crate door open (for the last 3 nights) she has started puking up bile and bits of grass in the morning, sometimes only bile...at first I figured it was maybe hunger so I fed her dinner a little later than usual, however she still had some dry heaves this morning.

Any idea why this is happening? Her energy is the same, she is drinking and eating normally, and she has not eaten anything strange from outside. I checked around the room and everything was normal, she hadn't chewed on her blanket, pillow or my bed sheets/blankets.

I'm really wondering if it has any connection to not sleeping in her crate to be honest because her schedule has not changed other than that.

·
Super Moderator
Hairy Dog, RIP Caesar, Katana, Kip, Capri
26,466 Posts
Some dogs do seem to be bothered by an empty stomach and will vomit in the morning before they are fed.

My guess, and it is just that, is that when she was in her crate, she didn't really wake up and move around until you came down and let her out, and that then she was pottied and fed in short order.

Now that she is loose, she may be waking up earlier than you do and moving around, and then the empty stomach problem causes her to puke.

Obviously, if she starts throwing up more often, loses her appetite, slows down or has other symptoms, you probably should head to the vet to check and make sure she hasn't eaten something illegally.

·
Alpha SheepDog
1,366 Posts
Is she a chewer?

·
Alpha SheepDog
1,366 Posts
Yes, but I don't give her things to chew at bed time, due to it being annoying....her cage is only a few feet from my side of the bed.

I give her chew toys when she is in her crate during the day.
Sorry, not enuf java in the system here.
I should have worded that different, will she chew things, she is not allowed.?

·
You can't kill the metal
832 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Sorry, not enuf java in the system here.
I should have worded that different, will she chew things, she is not allowed.?
Yes. Sometimes her blankets, although it's not consistant. So, I've been taking it away from her and giving it back after a few days. She can go a month without chewing her blankets and then I randomly get home to find a hole in the blanket.

·
Premium Member
164 Posts
My second puppy did the same thing, twice or thrice, just a couple of days after she got home; it resolved on its own. Our vet checked her and everything was OK; maybe those subtle changes affect them a little (like stress does to us, humans)...I don't know. Anyway, good luck, I hope it stops soon!

·
Registered
370 Posts
Both my RIP girl and my girl now do this.

I have a bag of healthy low calorie treats beside my bed and as soon as I get up in the morning I encourage her to have half a dozen or so treats. This puts a little something in her tummy so she never pukes. But if I forget, ewwwww . Doesnt always happen, but I figure a handful of treats is better than seeing her lips pull back. Good thing is.. She knows I get all weirded out and she runs for the door and holds it in as long as she can hoping I can get the door open in time. She runs outside, pukes..comes trotting back in.

·
You can't kill the metal
832 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Both my RIP girl and my girl now do this.

I have a bag of healthy low calorie treats beside my bed and as soon as I get up in the morning I encourage her to have half a dozen or so treats. This puts a little something in her tummy so she never pukes. But if I forget, ewwwww . Doesnt always happen, but I figure a handful of treats is better than seeing her lips pull back. Good thing is.. She knows I get all weirded out and she runs for the door and holds it in as long as she can hoping I can get the door open in time. She runs outside, pukes..comes trotting back in.
I feed her before I do anything else in the morning. She gets 2 cups.
The thing is that her puking is waking me up before my alarm goes off.

She did occassionally puke before, but it was in result to eating something off the ground that she shouldn't have and it wasn't frequent at all. A few times she puked without having eaten anything off the ground, in which I started giving her dinner a little later than usual to get her through the night.

I used to give her 1 1/2 cups morning and night, now I give her 2 cups, with an additional cup for lunch.

I just find it odd that the first few days she's allowed to sleep outside of the cage is the same days that she started throwing up in the morning.

·
Super Moderator
Hairy Dog, RIP Caesar, Katana, Kip, Capri
26,466 Posts
It is odd--scary-odd. Any time either of my dogs puke, I immediately start trying to figure what they could have eaten.

Of course, you could do a little test by putting her back into the crate for a couple of nights to see if the puking goes away, and then watching to see what happens when she is allowed to sleep uncrated again.

If she is not vomiting at any other time, is drinking and eating normally and is typically energetic it would seem unlikely that she has even a partial blockage.

Just thought of something--some houseplants can cause vomiting--is there any chance she is having a little nibble on something like that as a midnight snack?
You could also try her out of the crate, but still in a room with you with the door closed, so you can limit the possibilities for her to get into trouble.

·
You can't kill the metal
832 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 · (Edited)
It is odd--scary-odd. Any time either of my dogs puke, I immediately start trying to figure what they could have eaten.

Of course, you could do a little test by putting her back into the crate for a couple of nights to see if the puking goes away, and then watching to see what happens when she is allowed to sleep uncrated again.

If she is not vomiting at any other time, is drinking and eating normally and is typically energetic it would seem unlikely that she has even a partial blockage.

Just thought of something--some houseplants can cause vomiting--is there any chance she is having a little nibble on something like that as a midnight snack?
You could also try her out of the crate, but still in a room with you with the door closed, so you can limit the possibilities for her to get into trouble.
well this morning when I heard her about to puke I got out of bed fast, gave her a pat and told her to go to bed (her crate) she went there, laid down and didn't end up puking.
Out of 3 puke sessions, only once did I find a trace of grass in it, another was bile, and the third I guess was a false alarm? I dunno...

But ya like I said the only time she puked in her crate was from eating something that I knew about, and from being hungry, so I fed her a little later and a little more it stopped.

I don't think she has a blockage, she is pooping and peeing normally as well.

I have 1 house plant but I haven't noticed any leafs missing. She can't get to it over night either, the plant isn't in my bedroom.

Her crate has always been in my bedroom with the door closed. The only difference now is that her crate door is open but she's still in the bedroom with me. I removed any chance of her getting into trouble over night in the room.

I'll try her in the crate tonight and see what happens.

·
Registered
1,993 Posts
A lot of Dobermans seem to throw up bile in the mornings. You could try giving her a cookie before bed time (or a few, depending on the size of your cookies). That seems to help a lot of dogs.

Sometimes Ripley will throw up in the mornings just out of an empty stomach combined with excitement, I think. He wakes up excited and ready to go outside and eat immediately, so the more he works himself up in the mornings, the better chance there is that he'll throw up.

And sometimes he'll look like he's going to, then make those horrible noises dogs often do before they vomit, and then I'll get up, attempt to rush him outside and he just stops. So I'm not really sure why. And I know it's illogical, but it feels like he's almost doing it as an attention seeking thing. I mean, if he really had to throw up, you wouldn't think he'd be able to stop.

·
You can't kill the metal
832 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I gave her a few cookies before bed time last night and some good pats before lights out.

No vomit this morning. :)

Not sure why all of a sudden she is hungry to the point of puking in the morning...or maybe it's just adjusting to sleeping outside of the cage. Anyhow, thanks for the tips everyone.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Hugo does this as well.

I agree with the empty stomach issue causing them to throw up bile. If I sleep in on a weekend and don't get him his food at the normal time, he will throw up.

Thanks for the tip to give him a snack before bed. Poor guy feels so bad when he does it :(

1 - 15 of 15 Posts