Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After the 3rd night of intermediate obedience at the K9 Academy (our 2nd series of classes), I am happy to say my 7.5 mo old Mickelson is the best mannered pup in the class. That coming from the trainer not me being biased. There's a 3 yr old American bulldog in the class and and a 6.5 mo old Cane Corso or Italian Mastiff (whichever you prefer) and those two dogs absolutely hate each other. Also a couple other labs and mixed breeds that get along with **** without issue. He loves to learn and work hard for the hour we're there and mostly ignores both those dogs. Last week we tried a controlled socialization with the Cane Corso, and he would not have any part of it without trying to attack ****. We just keep our separation and keep working. I have only ever been around a 245LB English Mastiff, which was the most laid back dog I have ever seen. This Italian may be the most aggressive pup I have ever seen in my life. He's recently neutered due to young aggression and I don't think it has had time to kick in just yet. I'd just hate to know I paid that much for a dog and have that kind of behavior to try to curve and be able to trust it.

·
Banned
7,471 Posts
Kudos to your boy! That sucks about the Corso. I've only ever met really goofy and dog friendly ones.

·
Got mutt?
13,838 Posts
I had an "Italian Mastiff" in one of the classes I took with Ilka. It was a cross between a Neopolitan Mastiff and Cane Corso. He seemed to be more in the "playful puppy" camp than the agressive camp, though.

·
Registered
12,009 Posts
Congrats of Mickelson interm. OB...great job, having a star, at work / and nice on the 1 hour attention span & focus, for you.
(pictures ?? hint-hint)

I only came across a few Mastiff's...one FM was a real ham and the other was put down (at 2 y/o) for nipping the kids ankles & started to draw blood.
But owner thought it was trained because she took it to puppy class...so sad & some people, just don't get it !!

·
Registered
9,449 Posts
Congrats. Also as an FYI - neutering may do nothing to his aggressive tendencies but kudos to the owners for taking that step.

Reactions: Herb2relax

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
We were working on leashed place commands and proofing sit stays and down stays while the head trainer was walking around with all sorts of distractions (clanging horse bits, dropping treats, holding a cat about 15 feet away, etc) proofing the behavior while simultaneously her assistant had some other distractions (rolling a ball around, dragging a stuffed toy around on a string, waving a yellow flag around) The Corso growled and snapped at the assistant trainer when she simply walked by him. I am just glad **** is not a trouble starter and is a lover of all people. I am not judging all Corso dogs by any stretch. I truly feel bad for its owner because he is trying everything in his power to curve the aggression. Tyson is the dog's name and he was not only the pick, but also cost much more than I have seen high-end untrained dobies go for. As for **** and I, the greatest ROI for me is watching him grow, having fun learning, training and simply hanging out with no worries.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts