Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello

I have Chase on Purina pro plan Beef & Rice it's 26%P 16%F I know it's is not the best food, but his coat is amazing.

With some of the higher end kibble I notice that the protein is around 42% and fat less then 10% would I benifit to go to a better prot% and Fat% then stay with my kibble??

What results would I notice?? would it do any harm to his coat??

Thanks Ryan

·
Premium Member
8,861 Posts
dobie lover said:
Hello

I have Chase on Purina pro plan Beef & Rice it's 26%P 16%F I know it's is not the best food, but his coat is amazing.

With some of the higher end kibble I notice that the protein is around 42% and fat less then 10% would I benifit to go to a better prot% and Fat% then stay with my kibble??

What results would I notice?? would it do any harm to his coat??

Thanks Ryan
You know, Pro Plan is not a bad food - it is not as holistic as others, and it does have corn in it. Most dogs are not allergic to corn or wheat. If he is doing well on it, they I would not worry over much about it. I know plenty of breeders (good ones) who feed pro plan exclusively. Most of them feed Pro Plan Performance. What I would do is start some basic supplements. Either a good one for dogs or some human quality vitamins - E, C, and Fish oil is what I supplement with.

I rate pro plan as a medium quality kibble, but you can do a lot worse. Your guy is still very young, and I would NOT feed a super high protien % until he is older. I am now feeding Evo but waited till my puppy was 17 months old before putting her on it. I don't really know what the results are yet because she has only been on it for a couple of months, and Velma is not even totally switched over to it yet.

My mentor in Dobermans (she is also an AKC Judge) told me this weekend that there are 3 things she won't discuss: Politics, religion, and dog food. I had to laugh at that :)

1 - 3 of 3 Posts