Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
4,169 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For all these months I've been concerned about Chi's possible aggression problems. She's never bitten, only growled a few times but is quite fond of barking at and scaring the crap out of people/dogs. It has occurred to me on several occassions that I'm just not "reading" her right. By and large, when she barks at people/dogs the bark is very similar to the one I hear when I'm trying to teach her something new and am not doing a good job of showing her what I want, or if I don't feed her or throw the disc fast enough - she's vocal when she's confused, upset, nervous or excited.
Last night though, I heard a completely different bark and it scared the crap out of even me! At about midnight I took her out back for one last time before bed. I was standing on the patio waiting for her to hurry up and all of a sudden, she dropped her head real low and this growl from the depths of hell came from her. She didn't lunge or hit the end of her leash - she ran right in front of me and barked like she was going to kill something - completely different from all the previous barks, she meant business. I looked up and saw my creepy neighbor's even creepier husband standing in the shadows at the end of the patio watching us. When I saw it was him, I pulled her closer to me and calmed her down (she stopped barking but was not at all relaxed)... He stammered around with some stupid excuse that he thought his dog had gotten out... I didn't buy it then and I don't buy it now - If his dog was loose, wouldn't he have been calling for her? Wouldn't he have asked me if I had seen her? I'd think so... He certainly wouldn't be standing at the end of the building, in my yard, staring at us... I don't think I was in danger or anything, other than being creeped out by this guy... But why in the world was he standing in my backyard in the shadows at midnight last night? He had a perfect view inside my living room window - Shades are drawn from now on.
I tell ya what, especially with Mark gone so much these days... I do sleep better at night with Chi in the house. Nobody is coming in this house with her on watch LOL.
What impressed me the most is that when I pulled her to me and told her to calm down - she did. She sat by my side and stopped barking - but you could feel the tension, she was ready to pounce if she needed to...

·
Registered
3,593 Posts
oh man that IS creepy!!! Make sure you keep your doors locked and I agree your shades drawn...I wouldnt even go outside at night without Chi!!! But that is only me cause Im already afraid of the dark...

·
Registered
953 Posts
Oh wow. That is pretty freaking creepy. I'm also very much afraid of the dark (it's hard explaining to my 4 and 6yr old that the dark is OKAY lol). So that would have creeped me out big time! Good for Chi for noticing him. And letting him know that she means business if he gets any closer.

I too feel so much safer with Bruno in the house. The minute he hears ANYTHING outside. He's letting out a growl or a little bark. Just to let me know. Or to warn whatever it is to back off.

·
Registered
602 Posts
Great job Chi!!! Sometimes our dobies just surprise the heck out of us don't they.

·
Registered
1,358 Posts
Tracy I am glad you had her with you, though I guess you wouldn't have been out there if it weren't for her but I am proud of her, gee, I have goose bumps, I really really am proud of her for you!! It amazes me to see one get in front of us the way they do, I didn't know exactly why mine did that until it dawned on me that it was a protective stance they take. Da'Kari has did it a few times and I thought what the heck LOL, at first I thought she was afraid but it wasn't like that, she would take a firm stand in front of me as if to but a block between me and something she precieved as danger. Though I wasn't in danger she was ready and then I told her it was ok she relaxed.

Ya know, I am glad you ain't buying his excuse because that IS creepy for him to be standing in YOUR yard. At night, if he were looking for his dog he could have called or something, knocked on your door and said, "I am going to walk out back and see if I can find my dog", etc. I don't think so!! That is just creepy big time and I hope that Chi scared the bejeebers out of him! Hmmm wonder what his wife would think of this? Ughhh, some men are just creeps!!!

·
Registered
1,327 Posts
Good job Chi.

Gracie has done that a few times. Except I was sleeping in the guest room one night, (I couldn't sleep and kept waking hubby up.) I had Gracie on the bed with me. At about 2am she is standing up on the bed over me growling at something out the window. I sit up, she jumps off the bed. I go to look out the window and she wouldn't let me. She knocked me out of the way with her butt. So I tried again and still wasn't allowed to. So I walked across the bed and ran to the master bedroom and figured who or what ever is out there can deal with her. It really freaked me out when she ran to the door ready to kill.

Just one more reason why these are the best dogs in the world. :)

·
Still Here Despite Rumour
4,376 Posts
Ha ha good for Chi, natural instincts kicking in, good to see,another gold star in her positive behaviour column.Now imagine what it will be like X4 when she joins my pack :)

·
Registered
6,589 Posts
Yikes, good job Chi! Wow, what a freaky thing.... Like you I really feel better having Lexus around, especially when Tom is out or away in the evenings.

·
Registered
694 Posts
WOW!! Go CHI!! I definately feel safer with Sabot around. He has done that one time about midnight....It was a Friday night and I found my son and the 2 friends he had staying the night out playing basketball in the driveway(they had snuck out) and Sabot...told on em.....but his bark scared the bejeezus out of me.

·
Registered
3,571 Posts
Good job Chi. It always makes you feel safer knowing that you have a protector when you are alone. That is creepy though. I wouldn't have bought the story either. There are some strange people out there.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts