Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i have had many dogs but not a dobe . whenever i get a dog it ends up very playful even if it becomes a adult . whenever i get a pup my neighbour's kids play with it . so now ive bought a doberman pup i want her to be close to me . she is not gonna be just a backyard dog she is gonna be a active family member . all i want her to do his be protective (i.e) we have a fenced house i want her to guard (i.e) she should bark at others except my family and she shouldn let others enter my house without me . what can i do to achieve this qualities in my dog . she is still a pup ( 40 days old ) . how should i raise so that she wont be friendly with strangers . i ve seen dobermans in several places aggressively protecting its house and family without any training how can i raise my dog so that she will be like them . please advice me . i definitely dont want my new dobe to be a playdog .

·
Registered
134 Posts
Ok, i have to be honest i am a little worried about this sittuation. I have read previously about why you have the puppy so early, so i am not going to go into that. However, i dont know if you have the best intentions for this puppy. I am sorry if i am out of line but why would anyone want to raise a dog to not be friendly with strangers? First of all, Dobermans are natural guard dogs. They will watch your house, dont worry about that. Secondly, i promise that the look of your dog will be enough of a deterrent. Anyone that is afraid of a dog will stay away!!
Listen, I know you may think training a doberman to be a guard dog is a good idea, it isnt! What happens if for some reason your dog gets loose and hurts someone. Or a child wanders in your yard. This just worries me so much!! Everyone here fights extremely hard to change the way our dogs are viewed.
I have the biggest baby of a doberman ever. He is afraid of his own shadow. I have spend countless hours making sure he is properly socialized. And ya know what???? He still barks at the when people come over, he will not greet someone that comes into the house until i touch them and tell him it is ok.

Please go to this link: http://www.dogbreedinfo.com/doberman.htm
And read the section on tempermant, mainly the part about training aginst over-protectiveness. It isn't long.

Please understand that you have a very strong dog that will love you till the day it dies. That puppy will give its life for you, you do not need to make it mean. You will end up with a very unhappy dog and a big issue on your hands if you do.

Sorry this was so long. It just scares me to think you have kids and want to make this dog this way. Spend your time and energy making sure this month old puppy is properly fed and is getting the nutrition it needs. You have a long time before you need to be thinking about a guard dog.

·
Registered
3,593 Posts
I agree...I didn't want to be the first one to speak up...THanks Deacon's_mom. Duchess is as sweet as can be and we can trust her with everyone in the world. When we are in the yard playing especially at night...if someone walks down the sidewalk...she will still bark. When people come in the house if she doesn't know them she will bark until WE calm her down.

whenever i get a dog it ends up very playful even if it becomes a adult . whenever i get a pup my neighbour's kids play with it . so now ive bought a doberman pup i want her to be close to me
If you want your dobe to be close to you...I recommend socializing it...taking it to obedience training class especially! Dobes are very loyal and they need a positive leader that they can look up to. Some serious positive Obedience training is definatly a way for your Dobe to admire and look up to you and want to be close to you.
It is a good thing for a dog to like kids! and want to play...a dobe that goes to training or works with you a lot on Obedience sit, stay, down, come, etc...with treats will always want to be closer to the person with the treats. Even if they have to work for them still.
So if you are out with your dobe and the kids want to play with your hopefully well socialized dobe...than let the kids play as long as it is safe...but keep treats in your pocket and make sure your dobe knows you have treats. She will defiantly be trying to stick her nose in your pockets and try to get them instead of playing with the kids. If you train her very good in obedience and continuously...she will love working with you instead of playing with the kids if that is what you want.

·
Registered
145 Posts
Ditto to the already posted replies. My Storm was socialized from day one.....PetSmart, farmer's markets, classes, dog parks, the list goes on. It doesn't make her any less protective of me, our home, our vehicles, etc. However, I didn't get her with the intention of terrifying those around me.

The OP is disturbing to me on many levels.

·
Registered
421 Posts
so the dog isn't even seven weeks old and its already away form mom and littermates? This is NOT the dog to do protection work with. They need to be with it in every way and a dog without that extra time just is not going to be prepared. Three is no way you can teach all of the things she would have learned form mom to her. She can make a great pet I am sure but to expect this dog to do protection work is a kittle much.

I have heard of schutzend dogs getting taken away at eight weeks so they don;t learn all their bite inhibition but at six weeks its not only bite inhibition the pup will be missing.

This dog is going to need lots of socialization and honestly playing with the neighbors kids is probally good for it. You don't want a dog that goes and barks at the neighbors(that drives me nutts!),dobes are not dumb,they are supposed to analyze the situation and determine who is a threat. They don't need taught to dislike everyone. This dog will probally more than likely have problems with this though since it is already away form the litter.

read up on a dogs development and see what she needs right now. A behaviorist would probally help you greatly. Good luck:)

·
Pack Leader
1,551 Posts
Without getting to deep into discussion of the right and wrong I will just say this. If you really want a "family dog" that will protect and serve you and your family then do nothing but basic OB and treat the dog fairly and with respect. You will eventually form a bond of trust between yourself your family and your dog. The dog will know how you are feeling and will react if needed...believe me. You do not need to formally protection train your dog if you just want a family pet that will guard and protect you and your family.

Please conside the advice given to you by the above posters and start to read up on the breed.

TD

·
Registered
1,136 Posts
I agree with all the Replies. Protection Training to Me isn't a Bad idea if You have a Good enough reason for going that Direction. A Doberman has the Insticts to Protect as we all know. And if it's just gonna be a Family Dog I wouldnt go that route. Owning a Dog thats Trained in Protection/ or Just not Socialized is a Risk. If that Dog ever Attacks some Kid or whatever it's not gonna be Good for You. I've Read that some Breeders are trying to take away the Dobermans Protective ways and make them like Golden retrivers! I think most Dobes lack the instict to protect among other things. Every Dobe I've came in Contact with has ran away or jumped on me wanting to get Peted.

·
Registered
323 Posts
<i>treat the dog fairly and with respect</i>

If you take nothing else from the advise given please remember this.

If your dog feels he is part of your pack he will defend you and the other members of your family without any formal training at all. GKar has even extended his protection to my/his cat and also a Macaw. At different times both of these animals were attacked by a friends doberman until GKar put himself between the attacking dog and backed her down. As a rule he is the most laid back dog you would ever want to meet.

·
Registered
3,632 Posts
My Doberman came from an abusive situation, was not socialized etc and when I got her she was a potentially a very dangerous dog and not in a good way, in an uncontrolled scary way. I worked VERY hard at socializing her, training her in obedience and agility etc. She is now a very well rounded Doberman who will protect me by barking and warning strangers IF she senses I am uncomfortable and I feel that is because we worked so hard with each other and have a bond you couldn't mess with. She looks at me for direction and will bark at someone coming near the house, that's instictive. You do not want a dog that will make the decision to be nasty, that will cost you in law suits and probably losing your dog.

I was keen on doing French Ring Sport with her, so I waited until she was well trained and went and had her tested by the folks who do it here, she passed and is a good candidate but I chose not to do the work as to have a PROPERLY trained protection dog is a serious amount of practice and dedication. That and I feel she's fine the way she is and I love her and trust her.

Having been bit badly by a Doberman who was taken away young and NOT socialized I beg you to reconsider. It's bad for you, bad for the dog, bad for the breed, especially bad for the person who gets hurt.

·
Registered
365 Posts
I really can't add anything further, other than to agree with advice given by everyone else. The only comment that I will make, is if you do your research on this breed, you will very quickly realise that you don't have to "teach" guard drive. As crx pointed out, it's the dobe's natural instinct to guard. That's what they were bred for originally.

I've had my girl for just over 12 months, adopted as an adult, she only leaves my side to check out the rest of the house and yard, then comes directly back to me. I didn't teach her this, she just "knows" what to do.

Love your dog, and you will be repaid tenfold.

·
Registered
1,752 Posts
If you treat your Doberman like a full-fledged member of your family, he will do the protection thing automaticaly. Just give your dog plenty of attention, play with him, and provide discipline/structure to his routine, he will take care of you, guarenteed.
In my experience, the major challenge is getting them to be friendly toward strangers, they seem to be hard-wired to want to be good watch dogs. If you don't want to live with a monster, your dog will need to be exposed to social situations without having to show aggression. The more, the better.
Don't worry, your playful Doberman will know what to do if real trouble erupts.

·
just a member
2,996 Posts
Take heed of what everyone is posting.....that are correct in saying there is really no need to do further Protection training to make a doberman a good protector. This is what they were breed for, its in their genes already. A doberman that is treated well, socialized, and have some good basic obedience training, and is part of the family will step into this role when and only when its needed. You will find that your doberman will be intune to your behavior.

When you are scared or frieghtened, they will sense this and will put them selves in between you and what is making you scared. They will know exactly how belongs in the family pack, all members of the household, and who does not.

One of the most amazing things I have experienced with my girl happened just a few months ago. Nikita's best friend, Johnny the boxer, owner knows her very well and she geta along great with him. The kissy face, wiggly body type of behavior when we are all together. Well, one day, he stopped by, without Johnny, and came into the house without knocking or being let in. Well, Nikita went into protective mode and stopped him in his tracks, barking, growling and snarling. I had to take him back outside and let him in with Nikita watching me, saying "I approve him coming in." She imediately let him in and started the kissy face, wiggly body thing as usual. So even though, she knows him well, she knows he is not a member of our pack.

So, for a family with a doberman, no additional training for being protective is necessary. Its already there. Just add TLC, good socialization, and train to make the dog well behaved.

·
Registered
1,758 Posts
The mere presence of a dobe is the best form of passive protection you can get. Most folks are more scared of dobes than guns or knives.

so please just make her a part of your family and treat her well and you will never have to worry.

cc

·
Still Here Despite Rumour
4,376 Posts
I absolutely, positively,agree with all the postings on this if you end up with an anti-social dog you will a) demean the breed b)not have the full use of these very versatile dogs you will have to confine it and to me that is
basic cruelty,these dogs love to run free and if it becomes a nasty dog you cannot let it loose.My girls are totally happy being fussed by anyone out on the street but watch if you come over the boundries of my property unless you are cleared to do so by myself or my wife and that is how it should be.
Please listen to the people here or you could create a monster.

Hey T.J fixed the signature pic!!!!

·
Registered
4,169 Posts
Just to throw my 2 cents in... I agree with what everyone has written here... Socialize your pup as much as you can! These dogs are inherently protective. I have had my 9 month old in every sort of situation from the time I got her at 7.5 weeks and trust me when I say, nobody is going to sneak up on us! She is so incredibly alert all the time. I can't imagine how high strung and anti social she'd be if we hadn't put so much time into socializing her. As it is, she tolerates people other than her family but certainly does not seek their attention. It has taken major work to get her even this far...

·
Banned
6,743 Posts
I totally agree with what everyone has said also.....I am working with my pup in Schutzhund, and socialization is one of the most important things that you can do. I take Rom with me EVERYWHERE, literally. I also actually made it a point for him to play with my neighbors little girls. The dog will be afraid of what it has not been introduced to, and I dont think you want a dog who will bite out of fear.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Ky is 5 months old. I got him because i wanted a Companion, and I wanted protection.I havent taught him a day of protection, it just comes natural. He can sense if something not right, and if someone comes in the yard un expected, he stands in front of them and barks, he'd never lunge, Hes just saying "Dont Come anywhere near my mom unless she says its ok". I never knew dobe's were so great, Im sure glad i got one. :D

·
Registered
8,069 Posts
What happens one day when you are outside and the neighbours kids come running to play with your dog. The dog that you taught not to like anyone but your family. I see a disaster waiting to happen. This dog should be treated no different than the dog you had before, play with him, let the neighbours kids play with him (supervised of course) socialize him, and love him. My opinion, get a good alarm system and listen to what everyone here is telling you. :)

·
Still Here Despite Rumour
4,376 Posts
I really have fixed it now i promise!!!

1 - 20 of 33 Posts