Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've searched high and low gor purina pro plan focus for large breed adults and cannot find it anywhere. I'm not a big fan of the proplan large breed in comparison, especially if it's the same price, but has less? I am currently making the switch to OpenFarms chicken & ancient grain dry food.
Instead of feeding him 4 to 5 cups, i only need to feed him 2.25 to 2.5c daily. 420 calories per cup of food. I like that you can search the source of each ingredient per lot number, so that's neat.
Has anybody heard about this food or advise against it?

·
Super Moderator
Hairy Dog RIP Caesar, Katana, Kip, Capri
30,560 Posts
There are so many ProPlan varieties and package labels it's confusing--But I believe what the OP is talking about is
Dog Carnivore Companion dog Dog breed Communication Device

As opposed to the old ProPlan Focus Large Breed

Dog Liquid Product Dog breed Carnivore

Chewy seems to have the first in stock, but I know there have been spotty outages all over the country. I haven't checked labels, so I don't know what the difference is between the two.

But I wouldn't think a dobe would need a large breed food at all?

I'm not really a foodie, so I don't know anything about OpenFarm products, though.

·
Premium Member
13,883 Posts
Yeah... Its basically a name change:

This is the current packaging For PPP Sensitive Skin and Stomach (salmon and rice):

Purina Pro Plan Adult Sensitive Skin & Stomach Salmon & Rice Formula Dry Dog Food, 30-lb bag slide 1 of 10

John L
Portland OR
Yes, thank you John. Purina divided the ProPlan lines up into Focus and the other part of the line was Savor. Just as a general identifier--the Savor line in it's various flavors (Chicken, Beef, Lamb also had shredded bits in it--I fed the Focus which did not because those shredded bits were small chunks of soy flavored to be more attractive and I just didn't want that much soy in my dogs diets.

I went looking at the information on Open Farms ancient grains variety and and I would definitely make sure you are getting the kind with the ancient grains--their main line is evidently grain free and I for one would not be feeding that to dobes considering their issues with cardio/DCM. There are still studies being done of what exactly is going on for dogs who normally don't have cardio issue showing up with when put on foods which are manufactured grain free.

Also--I'm not at all sure that you will be feeding substantially less of the Open Farms than ProPlan--I see they divide their recommended feeding amount into dogs who get average exercise and dogs who are very active.

I really don't use manufacturers recommendation on how much to feed but rely on keeping a close eye on my dogs physical condition when it comes to determining how much to feed.

I'll have to call Purina tomorrow morning ask what the Kcalory rating is for the various ProPlan feeds--used to have it written down somewhere but couldn't find it (naturally).

But the picture that John put up of the Irish Setter on the bag of Sensitive Skin and Stomach (Salmon and Rice) is the same formula as the Focus Sensitive skin and Stomach.

dobebug

·
Registered
445 Posts
The Pro Plan Sensitive Stomach Salmon and Rice is 467 calories per cup.

Edited to add: I had to order it online twice, but last time I looked in a PetsMart, just to see, they had some there, so I got it there. Try to keep one sack stored away and get another as soon as I have to use that one ever since these shortages started.

·
Dobes Dobles +1
Neo Puppy, Lanah Chi-Cairn X 7 y/o, RIP Eva HADR Rescue Dobe, Sunking's Spock, Lillah Chi-Terrier X
6,722 Posts
Does any one here know how to get their dogs photo on a bag of chow?
First, you have to take a nice portrait of your dog looking transfixed up into the sky, as if watching an alien craft descending*...

Neo at 8 months saw one... :alien::alien::alien:
Dog Dog breed Carnivore Plant Collar

*Chicken nuggets will work as an alternative...;)

This is food we buy:
Dog Dog breed Carnivore Fawn Companion dog

·
Big Lil pup
8,589 Posts
Does any one here know how to get their dogs photo on a bag of chow?
Sure.... Drive to DC and have MMcCown shoot one of her fabulous doggy portraits. The get ahold of 4x4bike ped (STJ!) and ask him to convince his wife and her production company to use their considerable influence in the advertising world to get a bone fide contact. Then you grease a few palms.... And your pup is in! Piece of cake!

I mean... How do you think the Progressive Insurance chick got her gig. It certainly wasn't her looks or her screen presence.

WOOF!

John L (STJ!)
Portlandia, Orygun

·
Got mutt?
Leo, Lily, and Simon
15,015 Posts
What food is the BEST, several have been mentioned?
The best food is one your dog likes to eat, does well on, and that you can afford to feed. What's best for my dog(s) might not be best for your dog(s). However, pretty much any of the Pro Plan formulas would probably be a good option unless your dog has an intolerance to any of the ingredients. .

1 - 11 of 11 Posts