Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
609 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anybody in the house can get the dog in the crate!

cY7MkpiOIqU

This is MY 2 year old Daughter putting Rocko in his crate before we sat down for supper. He will listen to all the basic commands from both her and my 3 year old son. Rocko is such a good guy, hes so much fun to work with. I couldn't have asked for a better all around family guy!

Hope ya'll enjoy!

·
Registered
2,273 Posts
So cute!

Reactions: Tperkins

·
Registered
2,822 Posts
Rub it in why don't you! LOL. Your daughter is absolutely as cute as they come.

By the way, I cover my crates as well plus Joe has a dark, soft-sided crate. I think it keeps heat inside in the winter and provides a better sense of security to the dog. I also believe it tells the dog this is a time to rest. I figured in a covered crate the dog should feel like s/he doesn't need to protect the entire house, just their small spot. However, I was recently told by a friend that I should not cover my crate in case my dog needed help and I couldn't see it. What do you think? I also figured I'd hear a dog in trouble but she says not always. She told me about a dog that strangled to death on his own saliva at a show and no one knew what was going on because the dog was in a covered crate. I know most crates are covered at shows. Didn't mean to sabotage your post just wondered what you thought.

Reactions: Tperkins

·
Registered
609 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks everyone!

@Beamont- Your very right my kids have no fear of dogs in MY house. Which lends to the problem of teaching them not every dog is Rocko. At their age it is hard for them to understand every dog is not the same. Though they are well behaved enough outside the house this is not a problem.

@KCfilley- We have covered his crate since day 1, My wife is a pretty bad A seamstress and whipped it up in no time. Having the kids and there toddler behavior meant putting alot of emphasis on crate training. Along with all the training that went in to rocko we also had to teach the kids about the crate. The crate is Rocko's escape from the household. He will often go an lay down in his crate, this means I'm tired of ya'll I want to be alone. the kids respect this. When he is in his crate they are not allowed to even get next to it. I think its very important with kids their age to have some type of safe zone for the dog to retreat too.

@beibeito- the crate is a standard large(42x?) we have used it since he was 10 weeks(utilizing the divider).

·
Registered
118 Posts
I love that fact that he is obviously in some sort of bite work yet a 2 year old can command him into his crate........ that is awsome. This should be a sticky on a personal protection thread.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts