Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Duke is now 12 weeks, what is the proper way to correct him if he does something bad, I praise him always when he does something right but when new things come up like getting into the laundry room I am not sure how to properly correct him so he will respect me and understand.

·
Registered
1,772 Posts
depends on what it is.. example.. biting.. Mussle hold or a quick and loud OUch NO! Getting into something.. I like the AT word.. or sound or the Shh word.. Chewing on something.. same word or sound and redirect to the proper thing.. Winning or barking the AT or Shhh Sound
my squirt gun with water and a little vinegar also is good for correction..

·
Registered
3,942 Posts
Supervision, (always watch him so he can't learn bad habits and play with him a lot and feed him treats in an informal happy type training session so he learns to associate fun and good things with you, you can win respect and trust)
Distraction (when he is being bad, his attention span is that of a gnat, just call him to you so he can stop doing whatever it is he is doing (add a treat to this and you can start building a recall), or intervene in the situation with a toy, etc.) and
Prevention (putting up a baby gate in laundry room, keeping your shoes and socks off of the floor, shutting rooms you don't want him to go on, etc.) works the best at that age and goes a long way. You don't want to do a lot of corrections at this very young age. The word no works fine, esp. combined with distraction and lots of dog toys.

Tired puppies are good puppies, so make sure and do lots of socialization with him, taking him places with you on a leash (the bank, friend/relatives houses, puppy kindergarten classes <-- a wonderful thing for puppies if he isn't enrolled, enroll him in one now, getting your oil changed, little kids sports games, car trips, lots of short walks in parks and neighborhoods, drive-thru's, pet stores, dog clubs, just everything you can think of) and be sure he gets lots of exercise and praise and fun times with you. The more toys around for him, the better.

·
Registered
89 Posts
I find using a lower tone of voice, making direct eye contact (even if you have to grab his muzzle to get it) and "ugh ugh" is quite effective. Do not demean, humiliate or scream at him.

Dobes are highly sensitive dogs, more so than any other breed I've owned, and do not respond well to heavy handed discipline. Remember, even though he's pretty big in size, he's still quite immature. Firm, consistant and patient correction will be very effective in teaching him what's acceptable and what's not.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts