Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone in here have an opinion on the pronged training collar. I am trying to train my dobe to walk nicely on the leash so he can be manageable. I can barely walk him, my wife can not if he decides to pull. Its an incredible workout but no fun. I have heard some say its cruel, and others say it is actually the most humane of all of them, though I myself fail to see how. At this point we have made some progress through obedience, but in order for my wife to be capable of walking him he needs to be 100 % compliant.

Any thoughts?

·
Bad Wolf
960 Posts
At 7 months I would not resort to the prong collar. There are other methods that you should try first-that can be done on a flat or martingale style collar. Karen Pryor Clickertraining

Stopping until the leash is loose, turning 160 degrees when the leash is tight, walking like a drunk person, etc are all good methods to teaching the dog to keep his eyes on you. You have to be consistent and pick only one method, otherwise you chance confusing the dog.

·
Registered
1,895 Posts
I still prefer the Sense-ation Harness (front clipping; and this brand is more comfortable that the Easy Walk available at pet stores).
The local rescue and the local humane society also recommend the Sense-ation Harness. It's a very good way to help you manage the walk.
The prong was better than the flat but I still needed more control. I am 5-6, 110...oh, and middle-aged :D

·
Registered
884 Posts
If one of the no-pull harnesses works for you, I would use one of those. Maiya still pulls with the Easy Walk Harness though not as bad as with the flat collar. I can still control her but she is only 7 months old. But, having had a strong, 85 pound male Dobe that pulled me down more than once, I know that a prong collar was the only way I had any control over him.

The reason I think that a prong collar is more humane than a flat buckle collar or a martingale collar is because my dogs did not pull (as much) when wearing a prong collar. Thus they were not gagging/coughing/choking and putting pressure on their throats like they did (when pulling) with their flat buckle or martingale collar on.

Ideally, I would like to teach Maiya to walk with a loose leash so I won't have to rely on any collar or harness, but that is a work in progress.

·
Alpha
8,119 Posts
i didnt like the thought of a prong collar but now i have one for each dog.. i hardly ever walk mine on a lead allways off and running free so training to walk nice is hard.. the prongs are great.. i think they are better as ona martingale or chain they still pull and gag.. on a prong they dont.. gotta be better for them !!

·
Registered
1,848 Posts
I've tried the no pull harness and if there is anything Kiss wants to run after, like a playmate hopeful, then she goes. The harness does not stop her. I have just invested in a martingale collar, again if she is going to go after something the collar has not stopped her, I also invested in a chain choke chain and she drug me all the way from the back of my daughter's house to the truck to go home. Sooooooo that didn't even seem to slow her down. Someone on here had suggested the prong/pinch collar by someone Heim something or rather, can't remember. Anyway, I seem to be heading toward getting a pinch/prong collar for my girl. And we have and will be again in a training class. She just doesn't seem to respond to the stopping techniques when she is in play mode.:emo11:

·
Alpha
8,119 Posts
I've tried the no pull harness and if there is anything Kiss wants to run after, like a playmate hopeful, then she goes. The harness does not stop her. I have just invested in a martingale collar, again if she is going to go after something the collar has not stopped her, I also invested in a chain choke chain and she drug me all the way from the back of my daughter's house to the truck to go home. Sooooooo that didn't even seem to slow her down. Someone on here had suggested the prong/pinch collar by someone Heim something or rather, can't remember. Anyway, I seem to be heading toward getting a pinch/prong collar for my girl. And we have and will be again in a training class. She just doesn't seem to respond to the stopping techniques when she is in play mode.:emo11:
the best make prong is a Herm Sprenger ..

if you are worried about the look they also do a neck tech design that looks like a normal collar !!

Black Stainless Steel Neck Tech Prong Collar 48cm/19" on eBay (end time 10-Jan-11 11:37:07 GMT)

when i can afford them i will be getting the neck tech !!

·
Registered
8,069 Posts
Depending on the dog seven months is not to early to use a prong. But I would continue in the obedience classes for sure.

I always recommend people buy a Herm Sprenger prong, german made, the best. Also make sure the collar is fitted correctly, it will be completely useless if not. Leerberg has this video on how to put on a prong correctly. Leerburg | Prong Collars and Fur Saver Collars Here is also an article with pictures to help. http://leerburg.com/fit-prong.htm

·
Registered
1,203 Posts
Collars

Unless a dog is pulling and unruly, we don't use the prong etc. A Martingale has worked fine and what we start the puppies on. They usually are more than willing to go with us on the lead etc. I think it depends on the dog.

·
Registered
569 Posts
I'm no expert but the current doberman male and the one before I use a prong with a small nylon collar looped as a handle. The dog ends up right beside me and never pulls and never needs any real corrections after one or two the very 1st time I used the prong. he seems to know ok prong on, great we are walking and I'm supposed to behave and he does.

This guy I have the same set up with a choke chain collar and the nylon loop and he walks ok but not like with the prong. The other one that he's figured out is just a basic show lead and his regular collar off. He seems to know, that's training and I have to move right and stand right etc.

i find I switch up collar or lead and you see how smart dobermans are and what they remember and pick up. Maybe I'm nuts but that's my take.

I would like to wean him off the prong and the choke and walk with just a flat collar and a 6' lead and have him heal with a loose leash, but we aren't there yet and I need get onto training him more with that setup.

My wife just uses the prong setup. She says he's perfect for her and never pulls or needs any correction. She just uses the prong and isn't the usual daily walker. 95% of the time it's me.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thank you very much for the wide range of suggestions. I have used multiple harnesses and collars designed for reducing how much the dog can pull and I can find nothing that is appropriate. The easy walk harness that connects from the front amkes his arm pits bleed from the rubbing. The one that connects from the back and tightens around the arm pit reduces pulling by a negligble margin. The head halter that connects from the back slides off because of his wedge shaped face. I am trying the one that connects from the front and it seems to work but he HATES it with a passion. I am considering the prong collar.

·
Registered
1,895 Posts
The Sense-ation has a softer material under the armpits. I need it in case a dog shows up since she is extremely reactive and if I don't have a good footing, I could go down.
But if I know there are no dogs in the area, I can buckle her to her flat collar and she walks just fine...but for me, it was this harness which taught her walk well and it gave me the time and opportunity to learn how to train her.

·
Registered
8,069 Posts
My prong has only come apart once, and I use the quick release type. Maybe your prong was not on correctly or it wasn't a well made one. I use a prong in protection so that's a dog in high drive pulling his guts out. It has never come apart.

·
Registered
1,895 Posts
My prong has only come apart once, and I use the quick release type. Maybe your prong was not on correctly or it wasn't a well made one. I use a prong in protection so that's a dog in high drive pulling his guts out. It has never come apart.
I got it at Pet Food Express - it was the only brand they carried and it was not a HSprenger. I returned it once and they replaced it. After it did it 2 more times, I got a Neck Tech by HS - very pretty :D But it could be that I wasn't making enough of a correction because she learned to pull thru it. Anyway, shortly after getting the Neck Tech, we saw a behaviorist who wanted me to use the Sense-ation and it worked for me for just helping to get the walk down.

I am sure I just didin't use the prong with enough conviction. First time dog owner... mybad.

·
APS SGT
1,427 Posts
My Lola Limited collar can't come apart. I have all the benefits of a prong without the risk of the collar coming apart. I use a standard Herms Sprenger for Schutzhund but my Lola Limited's Secret Powers collar for standard walks.

·
Registered
6,775 Posts
I'm going to be the odd man out and say my dog actually walks WORSE on a prong than on her martingale! It is proba ly because I wasn't trained *how* to use it correctly but regardless it doesn't work for me. I use her martingale that she has had since a baby and I do correct a bit but usually its one strong correction and she's good. I find myself using only her martingale now and she is much better behaved. I think too many people habe gotten lazy(myself included) and immediately go to a prong instead of working on reward based training. Let me tell.you I got FAR further MUCH faster rewarding her for walking nicely than I did for correcting. I have had to start fresh since I screwed up the first time around.

·
Registered
8,069 Posts
If the prong is not high enough up on the neck the dog will pull. The people I have seen using them tend to have the collars on more where a regular collar would sit. This is not a very sensitive area on the dogs neck. Therefore the collar does not work as well. Sure it will slow the dog down, but he/she will still pull into it.

The collar should be right up on the neck just behind the ears and having it snug enough so it stays there.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts