Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

· Registered
460 Posts
Any training collar can become a torture device if it's not used properly. A prong collar can be a useful tool if it's sized correctly and you use it right. I used to use one with Ava and it didn't take us long to graduate from the prong to just a regular buckle collar on walks. I think the most important thing to remember that it's a tool, not a crutch so you'll still need to teach him how to walk politely on lead so you won't be using the collar forever.

Have you considered signing up for obedience class? Or depending on how old he is, puppy class?

· Registered
460 Posts
I've tried being a "tree" and he just runs circles around me until his leash gets tied up. I've tried walking backwards and he just charges in that direction instead of going forward.
lol Yeah the tree method didn't work for us either.

I know you guys are probably getting sick of me singing the praises of clicker training <g> but here I go again :)
Anyone who has used a clicker before understands. I gush about it all the time because it makes it so much easier on the dog to understand what you want from it. I often wonder how people have the patience to train without using it!

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.