Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i know many of you as do i, use the prong collar, because its GREAT! My Dobe heals well and walks PERFECTLY on it, but not on a regualr leash, i know how to train to walk on a regualr but is there an easier way to convert from a prong to regular without them noticing

·
Banned
375 Posts
hmmm not sure about that myself... but i want to wish you good luck because i use choke chain and they do great on it most of the time :D hugs good luck gunner

·
Registered
416 Posts
When I trained trinity with the prong collar the first time I left the collar on put didn't hook the leash to it. I had her regular collar on and I hooked the leash to it.

·
Registered
4,854 Posts
ive used prongs in the past, but i have known MANY dogs that have been poorly trained on it so that they do not cross over (or perhaps it is the person doing the training that has failed, which is much more likely!).

when i broke everything down and retrained, i started from scratch and used only flat collars, harnesses, or no collars at all. both of my dogs are worked this way - mya on a flat collar all the time, and bowie either with nothing at all, or a harness.

having a dog like bowie, who cannot wear a collar, made me have to become a better trainer - besides that i do not feel correcting for something you have failed to train properly is just confusing to a dog, i had to learn to keep attention and train him without force.

bowie does compete on a flat collar, but thats only because of AKC rules.

i have used prongs intermittently for certain behaviors to work on, but i do not use it for every day use or training. in the past 2 years, i think we have used one 4-5 times total, and its not for entire training sessions, but for 2-3 minutes usually at a time to work something out.

my next pup will be trained totally leashless i think (or at least i hope), so a prong will not be necessary. for a puppy i woudl DEFINITELy use only a flat collar.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.