Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2,637 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I don't think I'd personally use one, but I was wondering whether or not they were actually effective. We saw one when we were in PetSmart, and my brother pointed it out to me and said "Would you ever buy one?" And I had to admit that no, I wouldn't- unless I had a dog that seriously needed it and a trainer required its use. Even then, I'd be hesitant to do it. I'm not even entirely comfortable using choke chains, because of all the horror stories I've heard about them (collapsing trachea, soft tissue damage, and damage to the spine, etc).

So what's your personal opinion? Prong collars, humane, inhumane, effective, ineffective, good, bad?

(Sorry if this topic has been discussed before, there's no search option that I saw in this forum so sans searching manually I haven't a clue)

EDIT: And though I'm sure most of you know what it is, here's a picture of a prong collar just in case.

·
Registered
8,627 Posts
there is a search function on the tool bar at the top of the forum near the right hand side and this topic has been discussed ad nauseum here....

But to answer, I used one, I'd always use one, and they are effective not inhumane when used properly. Much better than a choke chain or head collar for a doberman. Less chance of doing damage.

·
Registered
2,637 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Whoops! I don't know how on Earth I missed the "Search" option right there. I was looking for the more traditional white search box. haha. But thank you, this thread can be ignored now. XD

·
Registered
633 Posts
For a large dog that pulls and is difficult to control, its what I recommend. Much better than choke chains or even flat collars on the dog's neck. As far as being effective -- it's effective when it's on the dog, but most dogs don't really transfer the "no-pull" while on the pinch to "no-pull" on a regular collar. That's why I usually tell people to stick with their normal collars unless they're having trouble controlling the dog.

·
Registered
14,479 Posts
Very effective. Safer than choke chains. Very humane.

and quality matters. you would want to get a good brand like Herm Sprenger with rounded polished prong ends. Despite how they look, the function of a prong collar is not to dig into the neck and cause pain.

·
Premium Member
8,031 Posts
Better than choke chains you do not have to get the big one the smaller ones are just as effective. It is a must to have a back up collar a nylon or cloth choke is all you need once in a while a prong will fall off. Some people put it in the wrong area so then it does not work as well it should be high up the neck behind the ears.If you dog pulls when out on walks or in stores it is a good training tool.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts