Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Alpha SheepDog
1,366 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was shown tonight properly to use the prong. It was somewhat easier than I thought.
I really didn't do anything , he caught on pretty quick.
I like how someone said its like power steering for the dog.

Reactions: Scooterbean

·
Never Will Forget You
3,288 Posts
Using a prong is no joke. It MUST be used properly. 95% of dogs or photos of dogs I see wearing a prong it's on WRONG.
I am glad you took the time to learn how to use it properly! Power steering, yup when used properly!:)

·
Alpha SheepDog
1,366 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Well, I thought i had the flat collar in the bag, but over the past while Nubis has started pulling again. I know there are many ways, to adjust this without a correction, by either stop/goe's, change direction, sit/stays, ending the walk, etc. I cannot risk hurting my back and then its no walks for a few days. Nubis knows whats expected of him, and if a correction is needed, because I am not happy, then it has to be.

Reactions: Wylde

·
Alpha SheepDog
1,366 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks
If the halti works better perfect.
My plans are to use the prong,soon switch to necktech and then back to flat collar.

·
Registered
463 Posts
Well, I thought i had the flat collar in the bag, but over the past while Nubis has started pulling again. I know there are many ways, to adjust this without a correction, by either stop/goe's, change direction, sit/stays, ending the walk, etc. I cannot risk hurting my back and then its no walks for a few days. Nubis knows whats expected of him, and if a correction is needed, because I am not happy, then it has to be.
Have you tried using rewards?

I found that when I went back to the basics, and enforced rewards.... more so a tug reward than food, I got a better response and attention from my dog.

I reserve a tug toy especially for walks when we are training heel, etc, and she gets very excited and responds really well to the reward anticipation. By now she has a very firm grasp on heel, but its not perfect... So I started out small rewarding the tug every 10 feet or so, moved to 20 feet and now its say 40 feet or when she gives me a lot of attention :). I don't strictly follow a set of guidelines as to when I reward, but I can tell if her attention is slacking, and if I can get it back immediately she gets a good quick tug session. Always keep em guessing with when its going to come and keep it short and exciting, with them always wanting more. I always end when she is getting really excited and into it, we usually move to playing fetch around this time with another ball and the tug goes away.

·
You can't kill the metal
832 Posts
I find stopping and going works well, but doesn't always work. I am trying to get Lexi to come back into the heel position when she gets to the end of the leash and pulls even the slightest. She comes back maybe 60% of the time. Lexi is not a heavy puller at all, that is until another dog passes by, in which I have been trying to get her to sit and stay.

I have tried the zig-zag approach many times, but Lexi seems to make a game out of it and starts runing around, so I only do this occassionally.

I have tried using treats, this works fairly well, although sometimes she will be walking next to me, take a treat and then walk ahead, other days she will walk next to me taking treats for 100 feet before she wants to stray off to sniff things. Hit and miss!

Toys have worked for me about as well as treats have.

I ALWAYS take along her Gentle Leader with me during walks. My rule is, she gets 3chances with listening to me when I ask her to walk nice (5 if I'm feeling generous about it). If she blows her chances, the Gentle Leader goes on and it is INSTANT heeling. Although, she is not a big fan of it. TO BAD! Listen to your master and everyone is happy!

Anyways, basically I have found the Gentle Leader to be amazing, however, if your dog is going to pull with it on it's probably not a good idea as it may hurt their neck. Thankfully, Lexi is an angel with it on every single time.

·
Banned
919 Posts
Best absolute best way to get a dog to walk nice next to you with a loose lead is to play loads and loads of games (physical and mental games) with your dog whenever you are with it and its active in the yard/house. The Dog will want to be with you ALL the time when you go for walks.
If you are too lazy/foolish not to do that the next best way to stop a dog pulling on a lead is to convince it that is absolutely not going anywhere on a tight lead EVERagain.
You don't need choke chains, slip leads, prong collars, e-collars, haltis, harnesses or any other gimics devised to sell to dog owners.
You can stop a dog pulling in one hour for a stubborn/dopey/mentally energetic dog and within 10 mins for a happy clever normal energy dog.
Just find something the dog really really wants to get too, like another dog (only for playing) some pee on the wall, some rabbit crap, dog crap someone they really like, the more they pull the better.

Again not meaning to rattle anyones choke chains......

1 - 8 of 8 Posts