Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Damon has made some really good progress in the last week or so. First of all, he totally amazed and pleased me the other morning after he ate - he immediately ran down the stairs and sat by the door. I thought, "could it be?" and sure enough, as soon as I took him out, he went #2. And just like that, he trained us how to let him go out to do his business :). Now, anytime he needs to go out, he goes down the stairs and sits in front of the door and looks at us. I have no idea how and when it "clicked" but I sure am happy that it did. We still watch him and take him out regularly, and there hasn't been an accident now in over a week.
Also, from some posts I read here regarding crate training, every time we put him in his crate, we gave him a treat and praised him, to associate going in there with a good thing. He never really went in there by himself though, and he wasn't too happy about being put in there. Then, yesterday, I walked by the crate and happened to touch the plastic bag the treats are in to move the bag away from the edge (the bag is sitting on top of the crate). He heard/saw this, and promptly walked into the crate, sat down and looked me expectantly. LOL My wife and I exchanged looks, and I gave him a treat. That little guy came back out, looked up at me, and walked back in and sat down again.
And after working with him for about 10 minutes this morning, my wife can now point at the crate, say, "Damon, go home" and he walks right in to the crate and sits down.
These dogs are amazing but I'm wondering, who's training who? ;)

·
Registered
12,009 Posts
Once the clues become evident and one is constantly watching for these dog signs...training becomes so easy.

Congrats, Damon is doing so good...smart boy !!

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I think he watches us as much as we watch him LOL. Maybe I'm getting old but I don't remember any other dog I've owned being that smart at only 11 weeks.

·
Registered
12,009 Posts
I think he watches us as much as we watch him LOL. Maybe I'm getting old but I don't remember any other dog I've owned being that smart at only 11 weeks.
Great results for 11 weeks young.

I think every new dog experience, makes us owners smarter.
- so every past one, has taught us something and the present and future dogs, have a much better head start...due to our improved awareness
- yea, they train us often...a wonderfull thing to witness
- some people that have training issues, can be the same ones...that can't or don't try and read their dog(s)

·
Alpha SheepDog
1,366 Posts
Right on for Damon, great job.!!!;
Give lots lots lots of praise and they work harder to please when you are teaching them new things.
Its like this morning, Nubis really likes these new bisquits Nubis'sMom baked for him.
I was running him thru his drill commands and seen an opportunity to teach him, Wave,, and bang he got it in no time.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts