Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
4,169 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just noticed an add in the paper for a 16 month old male B/R Doberman up in Iwakuni (Japan). This dog is owned by and being sold by an American. They list that he is good with kids, has had some obedience training and is a great watchdog (big surprise, he's a Dobe). They do not list why they can not keep him but they are asking $1600.00 for the dog!
Now I get that dogs are more expensive here than in the states normally. BUT $1600.00 for a pet?
If you had to rehome your pet for whatever reason would you be more concerned with getting your money out of him or getting him a good home? Truth be told, I don't know anyone, especially in the military that can afford that kind of money for a pet. It just galls me that people try to profit off of what is supposed to be a member of their family...
I subscribe to the thought that pets shouldn't be neccessarily given away, if a person is willing to pay for the animal they may be more willing to keep and care for their investment but still I think that this is definitely too much...
What are your thoughts on this?

·
Registered
6,589 Posts
I believe that unfortunately situations do and can arise that require the need to rehome an animal, even a beloved pet unfortunately. It's a sad truth, but the concern should be the quality of the home, not the dollar value on the animal's head.

When I met my husband and finally moved in, my two cats that I've had for their entire lives, were staying with a close friend for the time being. When I moved in permanently, we find out that his youngest son is hyper allergic to cats. After sitting outside with Zack every night to clear his throat as it was closing on him in the evenings in the house, I was facing a sad possibility we would have to re home my two dear cats. We tried many treatments, and finally settled on a medication that would ease but not take away Zack's allergies, as they were that severe. And fortunately, my fiancée at the time was very patient, and now after 6 years, Zack's allergies are nearly non-existent.

Long story, but it worked out for us in our case, b/c it would have broken my heart, but my cats would have gone to people I know and would have life time homes with them. I would not be concerned at all with the money, and would have actually paid for a stock of their supplies for a time to come if I had had to face the path of re homing them.

Fact is, once you own an animal, you are responsible for it. If unforeseen circumstances arise, than you need to be responsible for that too. Not just sell your animal to the highest bidder.

·
Registered
4,169 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I agree with you 100% Lex. I'm so glad that Zack's allergies are under control and you were able to keep the kitties. I don't know what I would do if Jordan or Mark all of a sudden developed an allegery to one of our critters.
I understand that sometimes we just can't keep our animals. Heck it happened to me. Max was/is our beloved little corgi/shiba mix. We rescued him before we thought of having children. Unfortunately Max does not tolerate children - which wasn't much of a problem before Jordan but well had the potential to become a HUGE problem post Jordan. Now I don't think that he would have ever intentionally hurt her but it just isn't worth the risk. Fortunately for us, my mother in law fell in love with him. He is now fat and happy on their farm in KY. I still pay for his vet bills and frequently send money for food and supplies. He became my responsibility the day that I adopted him and will be until the day that he dies.

·
Registered
421 Posts
I see things like that all the time. Its sadder when tehy make a point of them being unfixed and could be used for breeding,yet they ask for a good home only. I understand maybe asking some money to make sure they go to a good place but not a ton. I've never even charged for my rescues and we put a ton of money into them. I always say I will but never have! they go home wiht gift bags:haha:

When I was younger we had a dog that kept running off to some peoples house that lived at the back of my dads property. After maybe two years of this there dog died and they asked if he could stay and my dad talked to them for a while and figured why not. I still got to go see her but she she liked them better:haha: It used to make me feel bad but I think it was because I was a slightly annoying kid and these were older folks who just fed her stuff:)

we have taken in my dads old beagle becaues she was trying to attack everyone at his place. He still calls and comes over all the time to make sure she has been walked(cuz"if you don;t walk with her she wil not poop like she has too") bathed and her nails are clipped. even though he never once cut her nails,I always did it anyway!

·
Registered
111 Posts
I do understand where everyone is coming from, but at the same time you have to thing of how many people that get "pet" for free from the newspaper or ads that ruin them. examples the newspapers here require you to list an amount for the pet so labs dont just come a nd take the pet to a testing facility. me personally IF and thats a BIG IF i had to get rid of my pups and i chose to use the paper i would ask an amount just to be sure that a lab or testing place didnt get it also even pet dobies here in Illinois are going for almost 2g's :( i know that when i was looking for Sasha it was really hard because of that reason. i love her to death and now if i ran in to a situation where it was pay 2g's or get rid of her i definatly would but for someone looking for a pet dobie to drop that much discourages quite a few people.....

·
Registered
190 Posts
I would feel safer selling em for exspensive, if someone was to put that much money into a new pet would they skimp on other thigns? it makes me feel a bit more confident in the new owner because they have allot to lsoe.

·
Registered
1,772 Posts
I agree that is a lot of $$$ for a 16 month old Doberman that is pet quaility.. but it is hard to know the reasons for what they are doing.. I know that back when we had our first doberman Lady.. and a male Duke.. that we got orders for England.. at the time the quarnitee was 6 months to a year.. we just could not do that to our dogs so we had to give them away.. it broke my heart and I told my husband that I would not get another dog till he was out of the military..so I wonder if they have orders to some place like Hawaii or england and that is why they have to sell their dog...

·
Registered
323 Posts
I think taking it to a good doberman rescue and paying for its upkeep until they can find it a good home would be the way I would go if that ever happened to me. God forbid!

·
Registered
1,136 Posts
I can easily say i wouldnt think twice about looking in to it that Price is no joke and i believe papers are to risky to deal with in the first place. Everyone wants money its that simple and they're willing to do whatever it takes usually even selling a member of the family its a big NO!

·
Sea Hag
12,933 Posts
This is kind of off topic..but crxman321, is there any reason why you're using a picture of Ch. Angel's Dark Thunder as your avatar?

Granted, Primo was an awesome looking dog-I owned one of his champion daughters. But that's a copyrighted photo..besides being illegal to use it without permission, it's also common courtesy to ask the OWNER of the dog to use a photo of their dog like this.

·
Registered
6,589 Posts
Murreydobe said:
This is kind of off topic..but crxman321, is there any reason why you're using a picture of Ch. Angel's Dark Thunder as your avatar?

Granted, Primo was an awesome looking dog-I owned one of his champion daughters. But that's a copyrighted photo..besides being illegal to use it without permission, it's also common courtesy to ask the OWNER of the dog to use a photo of their dog like this.

I finally found the picture on the internet, but don't see a copyright on that page. I realize this was Maryanddobes dog, and the homepage has a copyright for all pictures, I find it very possible that CRX may have stumbled across the page itself (as I did), which has no copyright, and was impressed with the dog enough to use the picture not realizing.

If this is an issue for anyone, please address it in a PM though and attempt to work it out without involving the rest of the forum. If you cannot find a suitable resolution that way then let one of us moderators know and we will do our best to assist you in finding a solution.

·
Registered
6,589 Posts
I see the point of requesting money, should a pet seriously need to be rehomed to assure the hopeful quality of the home be it advertised though the newspaper.

However as Molari said, a rescue is a much better option if the animals best interests are truly being taken into consideration. Even then, I would prefer a close friend or relation just to ensure the animal was able to be checked up on. Another avenue would be to discuss it with your vet or breeder (if there is one) chances are they have high regards for several clients and could make a wise suggestion for a replacement home and would have background knowledge on the potential candidates.

All and all, as I said earlier, if the animal's best interests are truly being taken into consideration on a legitimate need to rehome, the newspaper is among the poorest of choices to seek a new home IMHO.

·
Sea Hag
12,933 Posts
Lexus said:
I finally found the picture on the internet, but don't see a copyright on that page. I realize this was Maryanddobes dog, and the homepage has a copyright for all pictures, I find it very possible that CRX may have stumbled across the page itself (as I did), which has no copyright, and was impressed with the dog enough to use the picture not realizing.

If this is an issue for anyone, please address it in a PM though and attempt to work it out without involving the rest of the forum. If you cannot find a suitable resolution that way then let one of us moderators know and we will do our best to assist you in finding a solution.
No, Ch. Angel's Dark Thunder didn't belong to MarynDobes, he belonged to Linda Hoff of Soquel dobermans. Cheri McNealy of Creative Candids took the photo, and owns the copyright.

We can move this out of the specific to the general if you want, and that makes it a subject of general interest and concern. Copyright violation is something people need to consider before they start copying and reproducing photos that don't belong to them. No matter how admirable any of us might find a dog, basically it's stealing to copy photos you see on the internet without the consent of the photographer. In a lot of cases, selling prints of photos they've taken is how people earn their living and pay their bills.

Webpages don't *need* to post a copyright notice for photos, the copyright is automatically assigned the moment the film is developed. However, the photographer who owns the copyright on the photo of Primo always signs the prints she sells-just because someone has cropped out that info doesn't mean it's not there on the original print.

·
Registered
6,589 Posts
Murreydobe said:
No, Ch. Angel's Dark Thunder didn't belong to MarynDobes, he belonged to Linda Hoff of Soquel dobermans. Cheri McNealy of Creative Candids took the photo, and owns the copyright.

We can move this out of the specific to the general if you want, and that makes it a subject of general interest and concern. Copyright violation is something people need to consider before they start copying and reproducing photos that don't belong to them. No matter how admirable any of us might find a dog, basically it's stealing to copy photos you see on the internet without the consent of the photographer. In a lot of cases, selling prints of photos they've taken is how people earn their living and pay their bills.

Webpages don't *need* to post a copyright notice for photos, the copyright is automatically assigned the moment the film is developed. However, the photographer who owns the copyright on the photo of Primo always signs the prints she sells-just because someone has cropped out that info doesn't mean it's not there on the original print.
Okay I found it on Mary's site and just assumed he was hers. Like I said, please keep it to PM if you would like to address it with CRX. If you feel you are unable to resolve it to your satisfaction in this manner then let one of us know in a PM and we can help you.

·
Sea Hag
12,933 Posts
Lexus said:
Okay I found it on Mary's site and just assumed he was hers. Like I said, please keep it to PM if you would like to address it with CRX. If you feel you are unable to resolve it to your satisfaction in this manner then let one of us know in a PM and we can help you.
I'd hope CRX would "get the picture" from what's already been posted, and no further discussion about this particular copyright violation would be needed anywhere.

I tried to move the discussion to one of general information for the benefit of EVERYONE on this message board. You can get yourself sued for reproducing photos without the consent of the copyright owner, and you WILL lose. Obviously a lot of people don't understand copyright laws...that lack of basic knowledge isn't going to protect them if someone decides to pursue the matter in court.

Again-copyright of photos is assigned to the photographer the moment the film is developed. Just because a photo isn't marked in some way as being copyrighted DOESN'T mean it's up for grabs for anyone to copy and use.

·
Registered
6,589 Posts
Murreydobe said:
I'd hope CRX would "get the picture" from what's already been posted, and no further discussion about this particular copyright violation would be needed anywhere.

I tried to move the discussion to one of general information for the benefit of EVERYONE on this message board. You can get yourself sued for reproducing photos without the consent of the copyright owner, and you WILL lose. Obviously a lot of people don't understand copyright laws...that lack of basic knowledge isn't going to protect them if someone decides to pursue the matter in court.

Again-copyright of photos is assigned to the photographer the moment the film is developed. Just because a photo isn't marked in some way as being copyrighted DOESN'T mean it's up for grabs for anyone to copy and use.
I understand your concern about copyright issues, however I have directed you in the way to go about your concerns twice now, instead of borderline accusing a member of copyright theft, and hoping he would "get the picture". I will pm him myself and handle this as it should have been from the get go. All talk of this is finished by either party and no additional threads in reference to picture theft are necessary.

·
Registered
45 Posts
I just wanted to say that money isn't everything. I agree with what everybody is saying, but just because someone is willing to pay almost 2Gs for a dog doesn't mean it will get a good home. Look at Mike Tyson. He had two ferrets that were rescued. The cage was outside and covered with filth. One ferret was dead, the other almost starved to death. So, my two cents, is that you have to be really careful and check people out. I do think advertising at a higher price might draw in people who are better apt to care for animals, but you can never be too careful. As for me, I believe my animals are my responsibilty...period. When I got them, I realized that they were mine and I would do everything in my power to give them a good life. So...I could never give up my animals, unless something drastic like a child with allergies.

·
Registered
6,589 Posts
slandaker said:
Look at Mike Tyson. He had two ferrets that were rescued. The cage was outside and covered with filth. One ferret was dead, the other almost starved to death.
:sadcry: ouch, poor things....

·
Registered
45 Posts
It is sad. And actually I read an article by the lady who recused the ferrets, and at first she thought she would being getting ferrets who were taken care of, and would probably get a big cage and a nice donation, since it was MIKE TYSON, but she couldn't believe what she found instead.

·
Extraordimary
4,924 Posts
Lexus said:
Okay I found it on Mary's site and just assumed he was hers.
Just for the record, the dog in question is the great grandsire of one of my dogs. I have a small pedigree database on my website which started out as pedigrees of my own dogs and then branching out from there.

Since I'm *connected* to the dog in a minor way by owning one of his relatives, I don't think anyone gets upset that I feature his pedigree/picture on my webpage. Although by rights, I suppose they could. I think they know that I'm not trying to exploit the dog or make any claim on him. I think it's recognized that I'm just trying to present history.

Using someone else's picture as your avatar, though, is a little weird. To me, the avatar is personal and represents you. FWIW, I had also been wondering for a while why that person was using Primo's picture. Murreydobe and I both know that photographer, and we are aware that she doesn't take copyright lightly. Murreydobe was doing that person a favour by mentioning it because if the photographer had seen it first, they'd probably be in court.

It's an interesting topic even if it did arise in a different thread.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts