Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
416 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Fisrt off i wanted to say hey I sorry i havent been on lately i've ben busy.

Second, for as long as I have had trintiy she has been eating cat poop. I have tryed everything i can think of and she is still eating out of the litter box. I feed her twice a day so I dont really see a reason for this. Also I have even tryed to put the litter box in the cat cage and she always trys to get in there to get to the litter box and always gets stuck. Kind of funny but i would like her not to get stuck lol. Can someone help me?

·
just a member
2,996 Posts
I guess once they get a taste of those nice kitty treats, they can't help themselves... We use babygates to separate where we have the litterbox and where the dog can go....The cats have their litterbox in a bathroom and the babygate blocks the dog from getting to it....To train them not to eat kitty poop, no help available, but to eliminate access to it.

·
Registered
416 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I've tried that but when I came home 2 days ago my dog learned she can jump over the gate and i found her trapped in the room with the litter box lol

·
Registered
4,169 Posts
My friend with everything from Wolfhounds to Chihuahua's (she honestly has a zoo) swears by large rubber made containers - I've not tried it yet because the baby gate works for us - but I know it works in her house.

She took one of the really large rubbermaid containers and cut a hole in the lid (just big enough for the cat to get in and out) and uses it for the box. I guess you can just put your cat's existing box in it, but she just puts the litter directly in the rubbermaid container. Then put the lid on. The large dogs are too big to get their head in, the small dogs can't reach the hole and the medium dogs (Standard poo and Aussie) can get their head in but their necks aren't long enough to reach the goodies at the bottom :)
She said she's tried different ways to get the cat used to it 1. just put the cat in, close the lid and the cat figures out how to jump out. 2. leave the lid off for a few days, til the cat is used to it, and then add the lid. Said that both ways work equally well and has never had a problem since employing this idea.
I swear if the dog treat companies could come up with a cat poo flavored training treat, we could teach our dogs to fly LOL :)

Hope this helps :)

·
Registered
416 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
That is so true but would you really want to touch that type of treat lol remember your hands will smell like them lol and thanks for the advice i'll try that

·
Registered
8,069 Posts
I know that when I fed my cat canned food the dog would eat the poop. She just gets the dry food now (Evo) and the dog does not seem to bother with the poop. I do find when the cat was eating canned food the poop was really stinky, the dog would put her nose in the air and make a b-line to the box!

G

·
well dont know if it helps yall, we used to have a dog that did the same thing, she would just go out back and chow down on all the poop left in the backyard.lol well anyway we got tired of it so one day we asked the vet hey why does she do this? well he told us its a lack of a fiber in there diet, he gave us some pills to supplement that and she stop eating poop! so you might want to ask your vet about it. im sure he or she can help.

·
Registered
6,589 Posts
My dogs look at cat poop as crunchy tootsie rolls, the only deterrance I have found to work is that there is no cat poo available when they go to eat some :) I have a litter maid, and it scoops the waste within 10 minutes of them going in it. So that is a help. Fortunetely for me, I am able to keep my litter pan downstairs and installed a cat door in the basement door.

Occasionally they still partake in a little hershey treat, if the kids leave the door open or they sneak down with me when I do laundry, but more times then not, there isn't anything in there for them to get.

If it is not an option to put the box out of reach, I'd give Tracy's idea a try, with the rubbermaid container.

·
Registered
357 Posts
Jack has the same issue, he is getting better on listening to leave the box alone. when he was a little bit smaller we used the baby gate. the two older dogs will sniff the box but know better then get into it.. the only real issue i have would be the cat in the back yard.. so they sometimes get the dirt flavored cat treats LOL... i noticed jack will get super excited around cat poo.. he tucks his butt in and his ears goes back and hes like a super speed running dog all over the house it hilarious.. but as time is going by hes getting better with leaveing the litter box in the house alone (i think its cause hes gettin poo from the back yard). Sorry im not much help, just adding my bit of a story lol.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts