Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Puppy eyes
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello! My puppy Mocha is having ice cream like poop on and off everyday and I can't figure out why. Mocha is 5 months old approx 40-45lbs. I couldn't source the food his breeder was feeding (breeder's select) because it's hard to get. We are stationed over seas and the best I could find was Blue Buffalo large breed puppy. Mocha was having really bad gas. I mean it can clear the whole high rise we live in! So we chose to order Blue wilderness for large breed puppy. It seems to be better than the regular blue buffalo. I also add 2 tbsp of pumpkin 2 times a day. We feed him 5-6 cups 3 times a day (is that too much??). He gets out 3-4 times a day. He gets 1 flaxseed oil pill and 1 verti-probiotic a day.

In addition to his soft poop he had staph when we first got him. Our vet had us wash him once a week with clorhexidine shampoo. I bought a spray in between baths. I also spritz him with deodorizer because he smells a day after his bath. It's not terrible but not pleasant. He still has pretty bad dander and a dull coat. We were hoping that the flaxseed oil would help with the coat. So far his coat has improved slightly (no more balding spots and itchiness) but I think his coat could be a lot better.

Every time he runs around a lot he will squat where ever he is and poop like ice cream. I take him running once or twice a week and if we go any faster than a jog he will poop ice cream.

I read on other forums people talking about Purina select sensitive skin and stomach but the only one I can get here is for Adult dogs. Any advice would be greatly appreciated! :thanx:

·
Registered
16,037 Posts
It sounds like you're vastly overfeeding him. When you overfeed a dog the food has a fast transition thru the digestive system which doesn't allow for proper digestion. The new food forces the older food onward and outward before it's proper time, so to speak.

Try cutting out the middle meal completely and you can also transition him to an adult "all life stages" food now. Many breeders change their puppies to adult food at this age and cut out the middle meal. I'm surprised he's still eating it, but since he's probably not getting the real benefit from his food it may be leaving him hungry. The overfeeding could also be the cause of his coat issues.

I don't know what the feeding guide says, but try starting there on the amount to feed and watch his weight. If he starts gaining or looking fat, cut back a little, or if he looses then increase the amount a little.

Cutting back should resolve his pudding stool in a day or two. If he doesn't improve with the cutback in amounts fed, then have your vet test him for giardia and coccidiosis. These are a one celled parasites that cause loose stools and can be difficult to find. Sometimes you even have to treat for giardia without finding it.

ETA: He's also likely to come down with pano if you keep giving him that many calories a day.

·
Puppy eyes
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I should specify the amount I feed Mocha. We feed him about 5 cups split 3 times a day, not 5 cups 3 times. Is this still too much?? We are feeding him according to what Wilderness suggests but he is still pretty skinny. I can see a few of his ribs. He is definitely not gaining weight. The gas has improved a lot with wilderness. I guess I should take him for a fecal.

·
Registered
16,037 Posts
Just saw your post. No that's not too much food and he would really need more than that I would think. He might have an intolerance to the protein in the food. What protein is the Wilderness? Chicken and beef seen to cause troubles, tho it could be anything. Does he itch?

Can you get Pro Plan Sensitive Skin & Stomach or Stomach & Skin, whichever it is? A lot of breeders use Pro Plan and dobermans seem to do well on it. Whatever you get, do a gradual switchover and you might as well try smaller bags till you see if it's going to agree with him. But I would do a fecal before I started going on a dog food hunt.

When you change foods, put him on a different protein source and keep him on a grainfree food for now.

I would also either start feeding him sardines or put him on fish oil and vitamin E. You must supplement with vitamin E if you give fish oil. A lot of dogs don't do well with flaxseed, there's more, but that's the short of it. A dog does much better with on fish oil than plant based skin supplements.
Now that I've said that, extra virgin coconut oil is pretty good for coats, too. It must be cold pressed extra virgin coconut oil.

Check this article out about the health benefits of sardines for your dog: Super Hero Food For Dogs By Diane Jansey- Canine Nutritionist | All The Best Pet Care

He shouldn't smell! Does he itch? Are you still giving baths? Try a FINAL rinse of one cup white vinegar in one gallon of water. Don't rinse it off but leave it on the skin. I also keep a spray bottle of half white vinegar and half water that I spray my boy down with when he has an odor (he has allergies). I spray him down and wipe with a cloth to get the vinegar to the skin and just let him dry on his own. The vinegar deodorizes and makes the skin inhospitable to bacteria and yeast. The vinegar smell goes away quickly and he smells good. I do that as often as he needs it.

The sardines are really the best thing you can do for him and his skin, tho. Read the link. There's no need to give fish oil the days you give sardines. And I would give this boy sardines till his coat straightens out, them reduce to a maintenance dose. Start him out slowly on the sardines and two or there a day should be enough for him. I'm talking about the tinned sardines packed in water or tomato juice. Crack the tin, drain, pour water in and drain a couple of times. The sardines are good for four fats once opened. Raw is better if you can get them. Just give him a fresh one instead of kibble if it's big enough.

·
Puppy eyes
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thank you for that information LinaH! :) I will read the link and look into sardines. He doesn't itch much these days but I still see the remnants of his staph here and there. The food he is eating now is Blue Wilderness Chicken Large Breed Puppy. I actually bought a bag of Pro Plan Select Adult Sensitive Skin and Stomach but hesitated giving it because they only got a 3 star rating on Dog Food Reviews and Ratings | Dog Food Advisor and his food now is at 5 star rating.

Also, the Pro Plan is for adults. Mocha is only 5 months old. Should I mix the 2 foods?

·
Registered
16,037 Posts
The puppy staph is common with doberman puppies. As long as it doesn't keep coming back you're okay.

Before you do any food changes, I would run him to the vet for a good fecal or you could probably just rum a fecal sample by for them to check. Wouldn't be a bad idea to take him too, tho. When was he wormed last? Is he on a heartworm preventive as they worm for some of the common worms, too? Make sure they look for giardia and coccidia. Both of those cause loose stool.

If he checks out okay, you could start a slow transition over to the pro plan. Some dogs just don't do well on the higher quality foods. They're just too rich for some dog's systems. I just looked at the review and I don't know if it's an all life stages or not. You might ask your vet if it's okay to put him on an adult food that is not an all life stages food. I wouldn't feel comfortable telling you to feed it if it's not, but you could pm dobebug and ask her as she has decades of experience raising doberman puppies and will be happy to help you.

·
Puppy eyes
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I believe he was wormed before he came to us at 12 weeks, but I'd have to go back and check the emails. He is on heartguard plus...but that's not a dewormer, right?

The Pro Plan specifies adult. I don't think I've seen an all life stage food at the store. I don't know if I've mentioned but we're stationed out in South Korea so it's very hard to get supplies.

·
Registered
16,037 Posts
Yes, Heartgard worms for hookworms and roundworms which are two if the most common worms.

Pm(private message) dobebug and ask her about feeding the Pro Plan Sensitive skin and stomach to him at his age. Remind her it's not an all life stages. I would believe her even before your vet...she has that much experience.

Yes, you mentioned where you're located.

By the way, welcome to the forum and we would love to sees pictures of Mocha! :) There's Photobucket, com and Flicker.com. Both ate hosting sites for pictures. You van upload your pictures there and them post the IMAGE code here and when you enter your post the picture should appear. I click and drag the codes here and put in my post and enter. Things have changed on both sites, so you may have to figure them out or ask.

·
denormalized
5,824 Posts
Flaxseed Oil is not as beneficial as Fish Oil for dogs. Flaxseed is vegetarian and fish based proteins & oils are more easily digested. Also, some dogs are allergic to flaxseed.

Can you get access to eggs and raw meat?

If he hasn't been wormed since 12 wks, the Vet will probably just suggest doing a precautionary worming anyway.

Reactions: Mocha

·
Premium Member
7,375 Posts
Not to throw too much at the puppy at once, but I boil rice and then boil either hamburger or ground chicken and throw in with the rice when it's done cooking. Then add it to be about 30% of his portioned diet (like you'd add a canned food for example) - this helps my younger dogs when I transition foods from one to another. You're in Korea so access that good sticky rice will be easy!

I do about a 75% old kibble, 25% new kibble for a week when changing foods. If they tend to have loose stools with food switches, I do the rice/meat to be about 50% of meal to help bind things and then add more kibble back in. You can even add some chopped veggies in the rice/meat mix such as squash, sweet potatoes, green beans.

Agree that fish oil and Vit E helpful. I'd run a fecal in to rule out any worms to be safe. I don't feed Pro Plan so have no input on that. I have added coconut oil to my dog's dinners in the last few months. Try to add a tsp of that to one meal slowly after the food switch goes well.

Is he on a probiotic? Start that if not. Will help with digestion and overall health. You can get human acidophilus if you can't find a doggy probiotic mix.

* To add all this stuff suggested, start slowly and do one thing a week in small amounts. Otherwise he'll get diarrhea from all these supplements and add ins!

·
Looking for my marbles
118 Posts
Not a dog, lol, but my Devon Rex kitten was on Blue Buffalo for a while. He had the nasty "ice cream" poop for a long time (months), and we did everything--fecals, probiotics, metronidazole, switched proteins, switched him to the adult formula, etc. Vet was talking irritable bowel syndrome, and I was at my wits end. Forgot to pick his food up on a Saturday, store was closed on Sunday so by sheer accident he got to eat some samples of another brand (don't recall, some other expensive "natural, grain free" deal) that the feed store had given us months before. I was freaking out because of the whole need for slow transition, and he already had diarrhea issues. Miraculously though, his diarrhea was cleared up within 2 days. I didn't buy another bag of Blue Buffalo, bought the other instead. He never had diarrhea again. It was crazy. In talking with people after that (including his breeder), a LOT of them said BB had been too rich for their cat or dog, and they couldn't feed it.

My crew is now on a raw diet, no more kibble, and they have had very consistent stools since last spring, after the transition. No more stink from the cat box either!!! (Amazing). But, I would think about the potential that the food just doesn't sit well with Mocha, and you might try transitioning him to something else?

If his infection has cleared up, you don't want to keep bathing him weekly, especially with the chlorhex. You could try something soothing and moisturizing, like an oatmeal based shampoo, for occasional baths. And if he doesn't have an infection, I'd have to lean toward the feeling that his odor and poor coat may be due to a food intolerance, and given the diarrhea to top it off, I'd be really suspicious...

Reactions: Mocha

·
Puppy eyes
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
So much good advice! Thank you :D I will try to upload some pictures later today. He is quite a handsome boy.

We are on an army base so we can get access to plenty of food, just not all the dog supplies..lol Korea is quite a developed country. And getting sticky rice is way easy like ellenm mentioned!

Yes maybe I bombarded him with too many new supplements before. We give him a probiotic treat. That made his poop softer than usual for a few days but I think he's getting used to that. Do you guys feed your dog probiotic all the time?? Or do I stop after 1 bag? any thoughts?

·
Premium Member
10,601 Posts
Some days I shouldn't look at the computer--I took so long writing this that I hadn't seen your correction of what you were feeding Mocha--5 cups divided into three meals is way different that 5 or 6 cups 3 or 4 times a day. So any place I say you are feeding too much--ignore it because I misunderstood what you were trying to say.

Hello! My puppy Mocha is having ice cream like poop on and off everyday and I can't figure out why. Mocha is 5 months old approx 40-45lbs. I couldn't source the food his breeder was feeding (breeder's select) because it's hard to get. We are stationed over seas and the best I could find was Blue Buffalo large breed puppy. Mocha was having really bad gas. I mean it can clear the whole high rise we live in! So we chose to order Blue wilderness for large breed puppy. It seems to be better than the regular blue buffalo. I also add 2 tbsp of pumpkin 2 times a day. We feed him 5-6 cups 3 times a day (is that too much??). He gets out 3-4 times a day. He gets 1 flaxseed oil pill and 1 verti-probiotic a day.
You are grossly overfeeding your puppy--no wonder he has gas and soft stools! My five month old puppy eats two meals a day--about 2-1/2 to 2/3/4 cups per meal. You shouldn't need to feed pumpkin if you cut down on the amount of food. If you want to feed a couple of things that will be of some help to skin and coat I'd use fish oil (and I prefer capsules to liquid--a liquid oxidizes very quickly). I don't feed flaxseed oil or meal because a fair number of dogs are actually allergic to it. And it takes an entire additioinal step to metabolize it. Try feeding an egg a day--I hardboil them a dozen at a time (but I'm feeding them to more than one dog) and give them with one meal. I give a spoonful of cottage cheese or yogurt with the other meal.

My puppy weighs about 54 pounds. On average male puppies will weigh roughly 10 pounds for each month of age. Sounds like your puppy is getting so much food that he's not getting much use from it. It may also be that the Blue isn't the best food for him. Not all dogs do well on the same foods. I don't really feed puppy food to puppies beyond about four months. Presently I'm feeding about 1/2 puppy food and the other half is an adult food. By the time he's six months he'll be on exclusively adult food.

In addition to his soft poop he had staph when we first got him. Our vet had us wash him once a week with clorhexidine shampoo. I bought a spray in between baths. I also spritz him with deodorizer because he smells a day after his bath. It's not terrible but not pleasant. He still has pretty bad dander and a dull coat. We were hoping that the flaxseed oil would help with the coat. So far his coat has improved slightly (no more balding spots and itchiness) but I think his coat could be a lot better.
Chlorhexidine shampoo is excellent for control of staph. Are you still bathing him once a week? Might check with the vet and see if you can bath less frequently now? Is the staph under control? He shouldn't smell--if he still has a staph infection that can make him smell. Spraying him with a deodorizer really doesn't address the problem of the stink. You need to figure out why he smells. Some types of fungus or yeast skin infections will also make a puppy smelly. AND a food that doesn't agree with them can. I'd stop feeding the added flaxseed oil. He may be sensitive or allergic to it. Bathe him in cold water and rinse him at least three times longer than you think you need to--water that is too warm will cause dandruff. Don't scratch at his skin when you are lathering him up--you can cause folliculitis (which may end up in staph) and will produce dandruff and insufficient rinsing can make even a shiny coat look dull.

Every time he runs around a lot he will squat where ever he is and poop like ice cream. I take him running once or twice a week and if we go any faster than a jog he will poop ice cream.
I think you are feeding him close to three times as much food as he needs. And you probably shouldn't be running him (even at a jog) at his age--find someplace to allow him to get more exercise running free--his growth plates are far from closed and you can damage them with forced exercise at 5 months. The more exercise you give a dog who is being overfed the more he'll poop and the sloppier it will be. Try cutting back the food.

I read on other forums people talking about Purina select sensitive skin and stomach but the only one I can get here is for Adult dogs. Any advice would be greatly appreciated! :thanx:
Well, my adult dog (an 8 year old fawn) has been eating Purina Pro Plan Select Sensitive Skin and Stomach since he was weaned--the adult food. The food I'm transitioning the puppy (his son) to is adult ProPlan Select Sensitive Skin and Stomach. I'd buy some of that and start cutting back on the food period. And start mixing the puppy food with a small quantity of the adult ProPlan--bathe the puppy less frequently (after you talk to the vet--by the way, does the vet know how much food that puppy is getting?) and do it in very cool water and rinse him very well--you can also put a quarter of a cup of ordinary white vinegar in a gallon of water and use that for the final rinse--he'll smell like a salad until he dries but it will take off any residual shampoo and leave his skin at the pH level it should be.

By the way--those 5 or 6 cups of food that you are feeding 3 times a day--are those actual measuring cups that you are using? If not--go and invest in a 1 cup measuring cup and measure what he gets in that--level measures--not heaping. Considering what he's been eating I think I'd try around 2 cups (those are measured 8 oz cups) three times a day. He's probably going to think he's being starved after what he's been getting. Raise the amount per meal if you drop the number of feedings to two. He is really past the point where he needs to eat four times a day. And drop by the vet office once a week an weigh him so you actually know how much he weighs.

Hope this helps.

And now that I actually read all of the posts--I think the Blue Wilderness, even though the puppy is doing better on it is still not the right food for him. He's not getting too much food but it really sounds like the food doesn't really agree with him. Try the ProPlan Select Sensitive Skin and Stomach--the fact that it's not an all life stages doesn't really make all that much difference. Most foods labeled all life stages are basically a puppy formula that you reduce quantity as the dog matures.

One of the reasons that I feed ProPlan is because it very rarely causes GI upsets in even young dogs--I've used the salmon and rice (what the Sensitive Skin and Stomach used to be called)and the chicken and rice for years--it's worked for everyone. Occasionally because of specific health issues I've had to feed something different but it's been my fall back food for nearly 20 years now.

And I've heard enough complaints about Blue and soft stools and/or constant diarrhea in both their dog and cat formulas to regard it as suspect when you have a dog with constantly soft stools.

·
Puppy eyes
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Haha yeah sorry I should have been more specific when I originally wrote the post. I'll try to go back and correct it now if I can. Thank you for the input :)

I think his staph is much better than before but I see remnants of scaly skin on his elbows and back of then neck and groin areas. Plus he has these little pimple looking things that I'm just going to do some reading on bc it seems pretty common in pups.

I just gave him 1 cup BB and 1 cup Pro plan sensitive skin & stomach for lunch today. We'll see how it goes! :D

·
Registered
16,037 Posts
Ahhh, he's cute with a mischievous look to him. Looks like he's pretty normal to me. :) Who did his ears? They look like he might have a decent crop which can be a tossup at times.

One thing I want to mention, because you will be corrected eventually, is that one adopts from a rescue or shelter, one buys from a breeder. People who know of the problems byb cause and people who work hard in rescues and shelters take offense to terming the paying of money to a breeder, especially a byb, as adopting. This is because the money goes into the byb pockets and facilitates the producing of even more byb puppies which often end up in rescues and shelters burdening them even more. The shelters and rescues end up cleaning up the messes caused by byb. Oftentimes when the breeding dogs are no longer of use, the byb will dump them on shelters, rescues or the side of the road. Same with puppies they can't sell. Please stick around and learn all you can about the problems of byb production and why this forum is against them, not the puppies produced as they are the innocents, but the person who does it. You might want to read our manifesto to see exactly what type forum this is as we can be pretty passionate (and heavy handed at times). There is a whole lot of knowledge here, so please stick around and learn.

Now, on to the second picture...OMG, OMG, the Littles!!! They're sooo cute...and adorable...and cute!!! I can see why you're worried about him hurting them as it wouldn't take much. I love his picture in the crate, too. He looks he's trying to be a good boy. He looks so handsome in that picture.

Thank you for sharing. :)

·
Puppy eyes
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
LindaH- I apologize, I didn't mean to offend. The breeder I purchased Mocha from is not a byb. I don't support puppy mills and byb. I will be mindful to use the correct terminology :)

Yes, those two are my darling sweethearts. Thank you! One more of my smallest one

1 - 20 of 26 Posts