Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner

Problem with registration transfer

3K views 31 replies 12 participants last post by  gatehouse 
#1 ·
My husband and I purchased an adult dobe a few weeks ago. The woman we acquired her from had to rehome due to a messy breakup.

When we went to pick up the dog, it was just her and the kids there. She signed off the registration papers for transfer, but both hers and her ex's names are listed as owners.

I called the CKC and they won't transfer without his signature.

Ive tried to contact her a few times since and she is not responding to me now.

Does anyone have any advice on getting these papers transferred? I'd like to enter her in a show late summer, but I can't until her registration is changed.

#2 ·
I can only speak of AKC status and they want signed papers to be legal- it would cause them a huge mess if they did otherwise and then someone came back on them. With that said after presenting my contract stating all puppies are to come back to me I have had them go ahead and reasign a dog back to me.

Does the woman still live at the same place??? If so I would go visit her and get the info on how to contact the X and then ask him to sign off on the papers. It does take a while and I hope you can accomplish it.

It might also help to have the woman write a letter stating that there is a divorce and that the husband dumped the dog on her and she could not keep it due to finances and would they please reassign the dog to you. They usually have to have the board review it. Keep us posted.

#3 ·
If the woman and her husband are not divorced, that dog is property of the marriage with ownership to be determined by the court. If they are divorced and she was awarded custody of the dog, it should be in the divorce papers and she should be able to sign the dog over to you. If custody wasnt awarded to her, you may have to pay him for the dog, also, so he will sign the dog over. Good luck and it will take some time to get sorted. If it was to be returned to the breeder...who knows?

#4 ·
Thank you for the information.

They were living common law - no divorce papers.

I'm going to make a road trip and see if I can catch her home, and get his contact information, and hopefully a letter from her stating the dog was abandoned.

Thank you again for your help.

#9 ·
If OP pays vet bills, food, and has documentation that one of he owners signed the dog over, her partner would have a hard time getting the dog back. Surprisingly, registration papers don't mean much in a situation like this. I was reading up on dog bites and found this out, but don't know if it applies to Canada. Here's the source: Determining ownership for the purpose of affixing legal liability

#8 ·
Possession is 9 tenths of the law and she did have control of the dog which would indicate the live in relinquished the dog to her. But the easiest route is to try to get his signature. Anything other than that is a big if.

I am not sure abut Canada but in AKC you can get a ilp # and still show in all events except conformation and depending on the pedigree it is unlikely you have a dog that would want to put your money into to show conformation and dealing with heat cycles can really mess up showing obedience as they can't show if they are in heat.

#11 ·
As far as her pedigree, it wouldn't surprise me if your right. I don't have a copy of it. All I have is her parents names and reg #'s. Her sire is a Vixenvale dog, her dam was a US import, no kennel name, all I can find so far on her is she is on the z-list.

That said though, I'm not interested in breeding her so her z factor means little to me. I'm not looking to make her into a champion. My interests with her are to learn and have fun doing it, so that when I AM ready to bring a show pup into my life, I have a bit of an understanding.

She will be health tested, for my own knowledge to understand what I *may* need to deal with in the future, but as far as sinking a lot of money into a show career, it's not. I would sink the money into learning, and having fun. No different then any other dog sport.

Heats don't bother me for the same reason. I don't have to or need to attend every show, so taking a month or two off, it gives us a great opportunity to do even more training and persue other venues. She will be spayed, however, when we decide to no longer persue conformation.

If OP pays vet bills, food, and has documentation that one of he owners signed the dog over, her partner would have a hard time getting the dog back. Surprisingly, registration papers don't mean much in a situation like this. I was reading up on dog bites and found this out, but don't know if it applies to Canada. Here's the source: Determining ownership for the purpose of affixing legal liability
In all reality, he could try and be a dink, but... I have the dog. Her registration papers were signed by one owner, her chip information has been changed, her vet records have been transferred to my vet, and she will be going in for a checkup, rabies update and vwd test next week (I don't know her status and it's something I would like to know sooner then later), so she will have records listing me as owner.

As far as I'm concerned, he abandoned her, his loss. She's in a home where she is loved and cherished every day. If he thinks he can do better, sue me.

#16 ·
Z list or Z factored Dobes carry the gene for albinism. With the AKC, they can still be registered, shown and even bred (if you have full registration). However, breeding them isn't something to be encouraged.

#18 ·
If you have her CKC number, and it sounds like you do, there's no reason you can't enter her in a show as it is. It's just that you would have to record the owners as the previous owners, and if she earned anything (a championship or a CD, etc), the CKC would send her certificate to them as they are the owners of record at this time.

BTW, I'm the one that created and maintains the DPCC Z list. If they are an accepted colour, they can compete in conformation. I will say, however, that I don't think any Vixenvale-bred Doberman ever completed a championship so it seems unlikely she would be successful.

#20 ·
Thank you for this.

I know she is on the z list. Her mother also is. What I don't understand is why her ckc number doesn't have the z in it? She has a WL number. What could that mean?

I'm really not interested in championships. I just want the opportunity to learn. I don't know any breeders (Doberman or otherwise) that can mentor me. I don't have a show background, wasn't raised with parents that did, never competed in 4H, I am NEW. Conformation has always been an interest of mine, it's something I would really like to try, but other then what I can gather off the Internet, I'm at a loss of where to start. I'm going to start looking into classes, that will help me. If I can find a mentor/friend to assist me, that would be even better.

Can anyone shed some light on her parentage? I tried looking up a website and googling, but haven't found much.

Her father was a vixenvale, her mother is just known as miffy. I can find information on her import, but that's all.

#26 ·
I'm from Woodstock, but I live near Aylmer at the moment. The Woodstock and District Canine Association has classes (obedience, conformation and rally) at the Oxford Auditorium on Monday nights. However, our conformation class isn't really a class, it's just drop-in mat time for people to come and practice (it's $8). I'm there for obedience at 7 and rally at 8 with 2 different Dobermans. You're welcome to come by (I won't be there on the 14th, and of course no class on the 21st for the holiday).

I can miss some of obedience class to show you some conformation stuff if you want.

#29 ·
Obedience classes are already half over, so you wouldn't be able to get in again until our next session in September.

The London Canine Association holds handling classes, obedience and rally classes on Thursday nights in Ingersoll, so maybe that would be an option as well. I'll send you the contact info for that privately.

Ava's sire is in the dobequest database
Dobequest:Dog Profile Page
However, when I was just looking it up, there seemed to be a problem with the database. When I clicked on pedigree, it came up "invalid dog" or some such thing. I'm guessing there is a temporary glitch with the program.

#32 ·
THere is an ABIDS show in Flamborough this weekend. THat would be a better place to start if you wanted to practice with your dog. Not a lot of pressure, no pro handlers....kind of like a schooling show for dogs :)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.