Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
i need a little help ... i have a 5 month male and i was wondering if his ears are looking the way they are supposed to ... i unwrap and retape every 3 days ... his ears when very alert tend to point inward, is this normal or should i correct it.... the tip of one of his ears is a little thick, like it might be swollen a little bit.. this happened once before but went away.... and also how long before the ears stay up on there own... one tends to fall over after about an hour.... so i usually unwrap and tape right back up quickly to avoid this... any help is much appreciated.. thanks

·
Supersized Warlock Alpha
6,923 Posts
Just a quick comment - if his ears are tipping in, I would take out the brace when you tape. The brace/cross bar part I can see in the third photo is only encouraging the ears to be in more.

And you can post with much less tape, too. If the tip is swollen you might have the tip tape too tight. Be careful with the tips, they are fragile - keep the tape light there, just enough to keep the tip close to the post.

I'm sure others will chime in too.

·
Registered
2,581 Posts
Welcome to the forum! It looks like you have a couple pockets in his ears, judging by his pictures. There are step by step pictures and guides here on the forum on how to tape but the best way is to have an experienced person show you one on one how to do it. If you'd be interested I'm sure if there's a DT member near you they'd offer their assistance, that or a reputable breeder. There's a few on her from New York, hopefully not to far from you.

As far as the tip, like bean said, they are fragile and if taped too tightly they can "die" and fall off.

·
Registered
9,449 Posts
As far as the tip, like bean said, they are fragile and if taped too tightly they can "die" and fall off.
YES! Please be careful. This happened to my first Dobe puppy before I got him and his ears were recropped because of it.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts