Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
667 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am sure that this subject has been discussed before but I looked at midnight and was unable to find anything.

Every so often when Rush is stressed he has a bout with diarrhea. He was at doggie daycare on Saturday because everyone had to work and he had to be put by himself because of his papilloma (which ironically he got from there because is his only interaction with dogs). He hates being alone and becomes stressed.

We have started him on his bland diet again. Is there any type of probiotic that we can give him to help with the diarrhea?

Vet advised that he has a sensitive stomach due to him having parvo as a pup.

Thank you in advance.

·
Registered
16,037 Posts
You might just get him some Greek yogurt as it has 5 probiotics in it, regular only has 2. That said, I usually us Mercola products tho I havent bought probiotics yet. There is also a wealth of good natural health info on the companion Dr Becker DVM website. You could also get slippery elm to use for these times. It is a herb that soothes irritated stomach and intestines. You can also make a rice congee, which also soothes the digestive tract. Make by boiling 1 cup regular white rice, not minute, in 4 cups water for 20 to 30 minutes. Feed only the liquid at first, then the rice and eventually add in another protein. Good luck and sorry about your boy.

·
Registered
2,665 Posts
I give mine a soup spoonful of yogurt on top of their raw meal in the morning. They also get the same amount of normally sweet potato, or canned pumpkin if I didn't get the sweet potato prepared, on the evening meal of Honest Kitchen.

·
Registered
2,822 Posts
I third the vote for yogurt. Green yogurt or regular yogurt. I buy the large containers of fat free, unsweetened at Costco and give my guys about 1/4 to 1/3 cup once a day.

·
Registered
667 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Well hopefully nothing serious but rushed home from work after receiving call from my parents, who watch Rush when at work, saying he threw up yellow stuff. Enr to vet in 5 mins. I would rather err on side of caution then take any chances.

·
Registered
16,037 Posts
Well what did the vet say? Sounds like maybe bile. Dogs will sometimes throwup bile if their stomach gets too empty. Maybe you should feed less, but more often when he has his episodes and youre feeding him the bland diet. Hope that is all it is.:(

·
Registered
667 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
LindaH Thank you for your concern. When I heard he threw up yellow stuff I too thought of bile and that is why I rushed home. After vet examined Rush she suspects Colitis. She put fluids into him, gave him anti-vomit med (I know there is a more tech term but I forgot) and a shot of antibiotics. She sent home a packet of probiotics for him to take twice a day along with antibiotics to take and ID bland food. At about 6pm I could see our goofball acting more like himself.

LindaH thank you I will feed him 3 small meals.

·
Registered
13 Posts
How is it working out?

Was it the fortaflora? Cain has been taking along with a heaping tables spoon of pumpkin twice per day and it's working great.

Where in Southern CA are you? I'm in the marina del rey area and Cain is very dog friendly.

·
Registered
667 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
@CyndieBeth. Cerenia injection and probiotic pack is Prostora and 20 Flagyl pills.

I am going to have to try pumpkin. I have read on here that many people use this. Although he does love Greek yogurt!

We are in Corona. Rush is dog friendly also but do worry about male on male aggression that people talk about on here. He goes to daycare at least once a week and they haven't said he has been aggressive towards any dog. They do say he has great manners which is nice to hear.

·
Banned
7,471 Posts
How is it working out?

Was it the fortaflora? Cain has been taking along with a heaping tables spoon of pumpkin twice per day and it's working great.

Where in Southern CA are you? I'm in the marina del rey area and Cain is very dog friendly.
Fortiflora is made by Purina and has "Animal Digest" as the first ingredient. Look into the more natural probiotic options for better ingredients.

·
Registered
16,037 Posts
I would ask my vet before giving pumpkin. It is good for diarrhea because of its soluble fiber content, but I dont know if it should be given to a dog with suspected colitis.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts