Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I see a lot of complaints about the Salmon and Rice Pro Plan causing smelly gas. I am thinking of switching from Iams to Pro Plan but he currently has no gas & I would like to keep it that way :) I've heard that Pro Plan is better for Dobies than Iams.
In everyone's experience, which Pro Plan formula would be the least gassy? Thanks! :)

·
Super Moderator
15,483 Posts
JMO there are better foods than pro plan, it's an okay food, but if he's doing well on Iams and if you feel inclined to switch I'd check out more super premium foods. Don't pick a food just based on whether he will have gas or not, you will need to pick one that he thrives on. Figuring that out can be a bit of a trial and error too. Check out the site dogfoodadvisor.

·
Owned by Dobes since 1975
30,675 Posts
if he is doing good on the Iams maybe he should stay on it.

I feed pro plan salmon and rice, rarely any issues with gas.

last month our feed store ran out of the pro plan and I had to get a bag of another brand, salmon based too but oh my god did it ever give Chuckie bad gas.

thank goodness he is back on pro plan. :)

·
Registered
16,037 Posts
Some gas is a normal result of digestion, but bad gas is caused by the dog food not agreeing with the dog.

Gas production can vary, with different foods causing problems in some dogs, but not others, as dogs are individual like people. Some people can eat anything, while others...not so much.

You will just have to test foods to see which agree with your dog. I suggest buying smaller bags till you see what happens. Oftentimes, a dog may have gas at first, but then settle down.

Plain Greek yogurt (Probiotics) will help a great deal. About a tablespoon for a grown doberman with the meal.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts