Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm so excited, I think I finally figured out what is making my pup STINK..

We went through all the tests, skin scraping, thyroid... no ear infection, not his anal glands, no yeast/bacteria, not his thyroid, no food allergy, perfectly healthy. He lives indoors, and we never see him "roll around" in dirty stuff. We keep his bedding clean, he eats out of stainless steel bowls which we clean after every meal, (including his water bowl) everything is clean. We couldn't figure out what was wrong with him, causing him to smell so bad.

you can smell him before he even walks into the room, and within a few minutes, the whole room smells like him.

Condition:
He has insanely bad dandruff with giant flakes, and he stinks horribly after 3 days of washing.. We wait for 1.5-2 weeks before we wash him again, but its really unbearable. If you pet him your whole hand will smell. I dont think that is "normal". If he sits on a cushion, that cushion will reek of his smell, only after a few minutes of contact.

I've had a shepherd and a beagle and have been around many other dogs who never smelled this bad. I only washed my beagle and shepherd only a few times a year, only if they got really muddy or dirty, but my other dogs never smelled bad. I'm pretty uptight about keeping a clean house, and whenever I have visitors, they would never know that a dog lived there, because there wouldn't be any dog smell, or hair all over the place.

I googled and this site came up : Smelly dog

And primary seborrhea is exactly all the symptoms my pup has!!

Now we are getting an Anti-Seborrhea shampoo from the vet, and going to try it out..
I'm so excited to finally come close to a solution.. I really hope this works to control his skin condition!!!

fingers crossed.

fyi -
Primary seborrhea is an inherited disorder where the epidermis (outer layer of the skin), the sebaceous glands, and hair follicles are over productive, creating dry skin flakes or excessive sebum secretion. Affected dogs usually have a dull coat with a greasy feel, excessive scaling, and smelly skin especially in the body folds, smelly waxy ears, and smelly feet with thickened pads and brittle claws. There is no cure.. only treatment.

If this does work, and he does have seborrhea.. it just goes again to show the "quality" breeder I got my pup from .. but nonetheless, i love my little boy, he's amazing.. even as smelly as he is..

·
Alpha SheepDog
1,366 Posts
Curious. U only feed kibble? Or other stuff?

·
Alpha SheepDog
1,366 Posts
He has a sensitive stomach, so we're really careful of what he eats. He has kibble (natural balance LID)
Is it the fish formula?
Has he always been on it?
Im no vet of a dog sense but I know, I have to be careful, with fatty/oil intake, or I am prone to getting a sebacious cyst. I first discovered it, when I was first in theater with a British Unit. Man those Brits, eat a lot of fatty deep fried food. Well, when I got back to Canada, I broke out big time with cysts, nasty.... THe Doc said most likely from what i was eating.. I said, this is food, i have eaten before, but not in that excess. He said, basically, you have too much and it will ease up... It did... But if I eat alot of fatty foods, I have to be careful with it.
Personally, if I were you, you have nothing to loose, by trying something without lots of fish in it.

Reactions: Lycn.chan

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Good point, he didn't always have fish before, he went thru chicken then lamb. The doc suggested fish and fish oil because of his dandruff.. this seborrhea really does mix things up.

So far the anti-seborrhea shampoo from the Vet has made a HUGE difference.
The dandruff is practically gone, and he smells like a normal dog now.
the shampoo has some other ingredients, but the major active ingredients are both Salicylic acid and Benzoyl peroxide.

Is it the fish formula?
Has he always been on it?
Im no vet of a dog sense but I know, I have to be careful, with fatty/oil intake, or I am prone to getting a sebacious cyst. I first discovered it, when I was first in theater with a British Unit. Man those Brits, eat a lot of fatty deep fried food. Well, when I got back to Canada, I broke out big time with cysts, nasty.... THe Doc said most likely from what i was eating.. I said, this is food, i have eaten before, but not in that excess. He said, basically, you have too much and it will ease up... It did... But if I eat alot of fatty foods, I have to be careful with it.
Personally, if I were you, you have nothing to loose, by trying something without lots of fish in it.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts