Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i saw a photo in a book about pretraining the ears before you crop does this really work anyone tried this?
jazzie goes to the vet in two weeks to get her ears cropped and this seemed like a good idea.. can anyone give me some info on that please.. thanks oOFireOo
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
8,910 Posts
oOFireOo said:
i saw a photo in a book about pretraining the ears before you crop does this really work anyone tried this?
jazzie goes to the vet in two weeks to get her ears cropped and this seemed like a good idea.. can anyone give me some info on that please.. thanks oOFireOo
wow, that is a new one on me! I've never heard of pretraining before......what book was that?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
lol i cant remember the name it's in my husband truck..i'll get it out after he gets home from work..it showed someone from the UK pretraining the ears before cropping..i'll scan up the picture and post it online so everyone can see it.
 

·
Still Here Despite Rumour
Joined
·
4,376 Posts
It is totally illegal to crop in this country,the R.S.P.C.A.would take us to task if anyone tried it,all i can think is that maybe it was a pup bred here that was going to Europe or the U.S. and was going to be cropped later.
 

·
Sea Hag
Joined
·
12,933 Posts
oOFireOo said:
i saw a photo in a book about pretraining the ears before you crop does this really work anyone tried this?
jazzie goes to the vet in two weeks to get her ears cropped and this seemed like a good idea.. can anyone give me some info on that please.. thanks oOFireOo
I know A LOT of doberman breeders, and can't think of one of them that does any pre-crop ear training. Not necessary, IMO.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
the books is very old..and prob way out dated..i didnt know if you could pretrain them to help them stand or not..lol so thought i would ask. soon as i get a min in the morning i'll scan up the page with the photo on it and see what you guys think of it..
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
107 Posts
I have the same book (if anyone is interested I can dig through all my Doberman books and find which one it is.) It's a fairly 'old' book, and probably written before the U.K. put a ban on cropping. The pup in question had some sort of contraption on it's head to hold the uncropped ears upright until the time of cropping with the idea if the ears were "pretrained" it would take less time in posts after the crop was done to have them stand upright...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
yea kinda looked like a giant bar of soap lol the book didnt say why the guy posted it's ears like that just said it was pretraining before cropping..was def interesting to see..think the book is from the 70's or or 80's i'll grab it out of the truck and scan it up and post a link
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
pippinislove think you can post the pic?
Hubby took my truck to work..guess he's tired of driving his barbie car..
it's going to be a long day..*hugs* if you cant find the book i promise i'll post the link either at lunch or after work..
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
665 Posts
Very interesting!
 

·
Still Here Despite Rumour
Joined
·
4,376 Posts
oOFireOo said:
yea kinda looked like a giant bar of soap lol the book didnt say why the guy posted it's ears like that just said it was pretraining before cropping..was def interesting to see..think the book is from the 70's or or 80's i'll grab it out of the truck and scan it up and post a link
I would be interested to see it, if it is from the 80's i might know who the guy is.:emo6:
 

·
Sea Hag
Joined
·
12,933 Posts
Pippinislove said:
I have the same book (if anyone is interested I can dig through all my Doberman books and find which one it is.) It's a fairly 'old' book, and probably written before the U.K. put a ban on cropping. The pup in question had some sort of contraption on it's head to hold the uncropped ears upright until the time of cropping with the idea if the ears were "pretrained" it would take less time in posts after the crop was done to have them stand upright...
Ear cropping has been illegal in Great Britain since 1895..that's 4 years BEFORE the first doberman standard was written.

Sounds to me like someone wrote a book who knows nothing about ear cropping.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
ok got the book give me abit to upload but here's the info from the cover (A Complete Introduction to Doberman Pinchers) (By Anna Katherine Nicholas) Umm year is 1987 i'll post a pic shortly
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
675 Posts
I've seen that picture before, but the text says the puppy is in Brazil, not the UK. In any case, I've never known of anyone doing that with the ears.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
11,143 Posts
I've seen that picture before it ever was in the Anna Nicholas book. Can't remember where it first showed up. I laughed about it when I saw it. Once of the reasons that it's kind of a waste of time (and probably irritating to the puppy wearing the gear to hold the ears up) is that when the ear is cropped (by all of the croppers who do show crops anyway) is that they change the base of the ear substantially--the cropped ear is NOT just a natural ear with a piece taken off the back edge.

Pointless in my book...I wouldn't bother.
 
1 - 20 of 20 Posts
Top