Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

· Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all

Well i should be gettin my pup pretty soon and I plan on going to the local Petsmart to get ready for her. Since this will be my first dog, I was wondering if any of u guys can be so kind as to suggest what I should have/buy for my puppy? My friend gave me his old crate so that already saved me a lot. So what else do I need? Toys, bones, leash, collar, dog groomin products, etc?

Thank God for this forum

· Registered
1,752 Posts
At my local Petsmart I found a set of Nylabones called a "Puppy Starter Set" with four different Nylabones in it. That way I found out which ones Mensa liked, and which one she didn't.

Mensa didn't get a real collar until she was about four months old. I figured she would just outgrow them too fast. But she still had to go to the Vet to get her ears posted every five or six days so she had to have a leash.

I made a leash out of a ten foot (3m) piece of 1/2" (12mm) rock climbing webbing I got at the local climbing shop.

http://www.rei.com/product/610111

I tied a small loop in one end of it and passed the other end through this loop to make a sort of slip-knot arrangement. This leash still works for us a year later, for less than three dollars.

Good Luck! Puppies are exciting.

· Registered
1,031 Posts
Oooh how exciting!!

You'll need toys, toys, toys and more toys - furry stuffed ones, rubber teething ones, squeeky ones, non squeeky ones (watch baby with them though).

You'll need bedding for the crate. I got mostly Vetbed for Tia as this can be boil washed if there are any accidents (not sure if this is available Stateside).

You'll need bowls, food, brush/comb for grooming - I use a rubber one.

And don't forget the ear plugs for you for when things get a little aaaaarrrrghhh!!! LOL

Really enjoy your baby because it passes really quickly.

· Registered
1,619 Posts
I hate to mention it, but it is often overlooked.............and something you really need!!

A POOPER SCOOPER! heheheheh, you will need this from day one.

and you should decide your method of housebreaking as well, you may need puppy pads.

Also the brand of food that the puppy is currently eating (of course, hehe)

· Banned
6,744 Posts
Nature's Miracle! http://www.onlynaturalpet.com/products/Natures-Miracle-Stain-Odor-Remover/254000.aspx If they do have an accident it takes away all of the odor and keeps them from going back to that spot. I also clean crates with it.

Also..you might want to get a really good disinfectant cleaner for that crate that your friend gave you. (I'm not saying it's yuck or anything) but I would make sure that it is really clean before putting puppy in there.

I use http://www.petedge.com/shopping/pro...=408&iSubCat=551&iSubSubCat=0&iProductID=1177 "Kills Parvo, HIV-1 and other viruses, bacteria and fungi" If we have been out around alot of other dogs, or one of mine has not been feeling well...I clean the crates with this stuff.

Also, you can go ahead and have the tag made with your address and phone number. PetSmart has the machine there where you can make them.

Good Luck :)

· Registered
3,593 Posts
SOCIALIZE your pup. I can't stress that enough.
I agree! take the pup everywhere...even if you think its excessive to take a puppy when your just making a trip to the bank or a food run lol. or to the grocery store and wait up by the doors on the outside while the other person goes in....things like that...

dont bother buying a bed! atleast not for the crate...

on those one town hall? threads....i think its "town hall" there is one on potty training...and you will notice alot of people block off the crate so puppy only has enough space to lay down. This will discourage puppy from getting up...pottying and then laying back down and thinking nothing of it.

just remember...after and sometimes before each activity to have potty breaks.
playing=POTTY BREAK
eating=POTTY BREAK
Sleeping=POTTY BREAK
in the mean time=POTTY BREAK! haha.
if they look lost=POTTY BREAK

Do not allow the puppy to chew on anything other than their toys. If you see them chewing on something undesirable just say a firm "NO!" and quickly replace with a bone or toy.

Never allow the puppy to jump up on you. Discourage that behavior so that they dont think it will be okay when they grow. Eventually the dog will catch on that that is undesirable and avoid it when they are older. The puppy will probably still jump up on you cause they love you so much but just not allow it. showing affection can be saved for when your cuddling or laying down and calm

general list depending on if you really need or want it...

collar-nothing fancy
ID TAGS!
leash
pooper scooper
potty bags for walks
food that the puppy is on right now
dishes
training treats-dont have to be from the store. but on hand small little rewards are nice when you can't use a biscuit each time.

nail clippers- keep up with them while they are small and easy to clip!!!

rubber mit brush-with the little rubber spokes (dont let puppy play or bite the brush while you brush) might want to gently hold his head so that she cant pop up and bite it lol.

tooth brush and dog toothpaste-if you want to do that

BONES AND KONGS!- we gave duchess other kinds of toys but threw them out one by one. any rubber toy is good try www.planetdog.com or target has alot of different rubber rings-kongs-dumbell shaped things
i personally would stick to nylabone-some other bones will leave colored pieces all over your carpeting! also since they chunk off you want to supervise them. Matter of fact supervise if you have any NON tough toys...squeekers, stuffies, etc puppies might end up chewing up. Don't allow them to JUST chew on a tennis ball. we have had talks that the dye can wear their teeth down. use only for fetch.

DON'T LEAVE SOCKS AROUND! DOBERMANS ARE NOTORIOUS FOR STEALING SOCKS...AND DEPENDING ON THE DOG CAN VERY WELL EAT THE SOCK IF THEY WANT TO. THIS INCLUDES SMALL UNDERWEAR...and just to be safe other garments that have your scent they might want to smell and nibble but they will put holes in it. so just keep your house clean :)

Don't leave change around...small stuff. Id put newspapers and other papers and stuff away(very popular thing to shred)

teach "SETTLE"-when puppy is out of control or WAY to excited just lay her down on her side and gently but firmly holding her head and hips tell her "settle" until she calms down and stops trying to get up....she will eventually just lie there patiently and waiting.

hope that helped :)

· Registered
954 Posts
How exciting! Remember your camera! :)

It seems like I read your pup's ears are going to be cropped. You may want to think about getting your ear supplies together. Talk with whomever is going to be helping you get started. (Sorry to be presumptuous, but it really helps to have a mentor.) I carried around a zipper bag that contained tape, bandage scissors, pipe insulation (there other many other ways to make posts), and lots of treats. I also found Smith & Nephew's Uni-Solve adhesive remover to be a must. You probably won't need adhesive remover immediately, but you may have trouble finding it locally, so you may want to look around now. Olive oil can also work to loosen tape in a pinch.

Best of luck!

· Registered
2,330 Posts
Am SO glad I kept my baby gate, and also happened to snag one a neighbor had put out for garbage collection - it needed a thorough scrub but was in good working order. This way, I could keep Java contained in the mudroom w/ her crate if I needed to leave the area for a minute and make sure she'd be safe. I still use the one gate - up it goes so that she doesn't race through the whole house after she's had her shower.

Also not too early to get a harness for puppy - Java used one from day one and it's part of the routine before she is allowed to get into the car. Land's End makes a good car blanket - nylon on one side, fleece on the other. It really helps keep your bench seat clean (or less dirty) and can be tossed into the wash. An old beach towel will do the same thing.

Also - don't get stuffies that look like anything you'd hate to have chewed to bits. Puppy doesn't know the difference between a stuffed tennis shoe that squeaks and your son's new $85 Nike's. Good rule of thumb is that if you would hate to have something destroyed by an inquisitive pup, put it away and keep it out of reach. And those 88 cent toys they sell at Wal-Mart - don't even bother unless you want to video your puppy destoying them in ten seconds or less. J&B Wholesaler (.com) is a good source for toys and other pet supplies.

'Puppies for Dummies' - buy or borrow from library - is a good resource to have on hand.

Make sure first vet's visit includes microchipping. I was amazed at how small the needle is that implants the chip, it is not a big deal.

Check out your local obedience schools. It's well worth the time and effort to enroll in a Puppy Obedience Class.

Enjoy your pup!

· Registered
1,358 Posts
Good job LD, it appears you covered it all.

The one thing I can add that has nothing to do with supplies is to handle your puppy everywhere. Put your fingers in his ears, mouth, pull on his tail, handle his paws a lot, between them etc. Hug him and love him after you do this so he will know it is something that is no big deal. Handle him while he eats so he will know it is ok to be touched, bumped into etc while eating nd it is no big deal that his food is not in jeapordy. OK that is all I have to add except Congrats on the new arrival.

· Premium Member
10,555 Posts
  • High quality puppy food dry/canned
  • Food and water bowls - stainless steel or ceramic, not plastic.
  • Treats
  • Training treats (soft ones)
  • Collar
  • Leash
  • ID tag
  • Nail trimmers
  • Shampoo
  • Soft brush (rubber)
  • Crate (wire or plastic size 40"L x 27"W x 30" H), and divider if needed.
  • Bedding for crate (only if pup doesn't chew it) - large folded blanket or large towels work well
  • Pet toothbrush and pet toothpaste
  • Toys - it's hard to gauge what toys your puppy will like ahead of time, but a Kong (large puppy size) is a must, tennis balls, tug-of-war rope, plush toys, squeaky toys, etc. I took my pup on a toy shopping spree when I first got him so he could pick out his own toys. :)
  • Appointment at your vets for a physical exam, vaccines and deworming (if needed), and heartworm and flea preventative.
  • Bandage tape (Johnson and Johnson Zonas tape), bandage scissors, and slim tampons for ear posting if needed.
  • Ear plugs (good call, adajane1!!) - these are a must for the first few nights in the crate (if you want to sleep, that is ;) )
  • Camera - to take lots of pics!!

· Registered
561 Posts
Yes, socialize even when you're sick of it. We go to the dog park every single week and also let Sherman off-leash at little league games, etc so he can interact with tons of people...

I recommend various chew toys of different styles so you can find out which one is his favorite, then you can buy accordingly. My guy doesnt really get into Kongs (same treat has been in it for a week. LOL) but loves squishy animals that squeek. If he cant find something he like to chew, watch out! Your sofa and shoes are next.

I recommend the best puppy food (large breed) you can find. I love Canidae and Innova.

Be careful of what treats you use. Read labels. Some of those "meat" treats have NO meat and include horrible ingredients.

I like a double-sides brush with a soft side and a hard side, just in case.

Get a huge pillow or throw you can put out in the living room. He'll lay on it/play on it all the time, and will be easy on his elbows, etc.

Get some "Nature's Way" or other organic odor/spot/sanitizer. I have a parrot and they dont tolerate many smells and sprays, so watch out for additives here. Dont skimp. These quality sprays can make all the difference. Some can even be sprayed directly on your dog to make them smell better!

I recommend a dremel for you puppy's nails. Its a real luxury to have one.

Exercise, exercise, exercise! I cant say that enough either. A bored or under-worked dog will drive you batty. Multiple walks a day right from the get-go if you can swing it.

Good luck. I know I'm forgetting things. :)

Reactions: sizzur

· Registered
954 Posts
  • Food and water bowls - stainless steel or ceramic, not plastic.
If using ceramic, check the country of origin. One of my idiosyncrasis uis to use made in the USA only. The glazes used on some ceramics has a high lead content. Other countries tolerance for B.S. is much higher then ours. Just look at the current pet food recall. Thank you China.

For a time, my wife thought it quaint that I was unwilling to use glazed pottery bowels made in China or Mexico for food. Not any more. I'm not saying there are any problems with these products. I just not willing to chance it. Years ago, I don't remember which class, the prof brought in a bunch of pottery and we (the class) were amazed at the test results. Maybe this was more of a problem in the early '80s?

Dishes and pottery made commercially in the United States since 1971 are generally safe to use. However, antiques and collectibles, dishes and pottery made in foreign countries and pieces made by amateurs for gifts or craft fairs may contain lead that could be a source of exposure if used for storing or serving food and drink.

· Premium Member
10,555 Posts
If using ceramic, check the country of origin. One of my idiosyncrasis uis to use made in the USA only. The glazes used on some ceramics has a high lead content. Other countries tolerance for B.S. is much higher then ours. Just look at the current pet food recall. Thank you China.

For a time, my wife thought it quaint that I was unwilling to use glazed pottery bowels made in China or Mexico for food. Not any more. I'm not saying there are any problems with these products. I just not willing to chance it. Years ago, I don't remember which class, the prof brought in a bunch of pottery and we (the class) were amazed at the test results. Maybe this was more of a problem in the early '80s?

Dishes and pottery made commercially in the United States since 1971 are generally safe to use. However, antiques and collectibles, dishes and pottery made in foreign countries and pieces made by amateurs for gifts or craft fairs may contain lead that could be a source of exposure if used for storing or serving food and drink.
Good point, I never thought of that!

· Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Wow, thank you all for the overwhelming amount of good advice and help! Joining this forum has been the most helpful thing for me as far as dobermans. Now I know what to look for when I do go to Petsmart today.

I'll definately get a lot of chew toys since i dont want my family's shoes gettin ripped up lol.

Yeah, my pup's ears will be cropped. And you're right, I will be talking to my breeder about posting since the drive there is 2 hours away and gas prices are goin through the roof. I figure I would save some time and money if I could be adaquate enough to post myself.

I've been told my pup has been microchipped and received it's first SET of vaccinations. Therefore it's still not ok to let her have contact with other dogs or let her get near any dog pee/poo. Is this correct? When do I get the 2nd set of shots for the pup?
Also, can anyone suggest some good shampoos?

Thanks again for all the help everyone, really appreciate it!

· Registered
821 Posts
It looks like everyone has about covered all the bases. The only other thing I might suggest is to get a bottle of fastrack to have on hand. It will fix up tummy trouble as in (hershey squirts)very quickly as long as there is nothing medical going on. I feed it to my guys about 2 X's a week just to help keep things running smoothly from the inside by putting the good bacteria back into the gi track. If not this have some canned pumpkin(not pie filling) on hand. Good Luck and Congrats!!!!

1 - 20 of 35 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.