Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Banned
7,405 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am going to try Priscilla on Nature's Variety premade raw food.

The Chicken Variety, for example, says 13% protein. I am confused. Is kibble higher in protein just because it has no moisture?

Am I effectively moving to a lower protein diet by doing this or not at all?

I notice the dehydrated food is 40% protein.

·
Banned
7,405 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
So I have found the dry matter calculation. Since this food has 68% moisture, the actual protein level would be 40%? Am I doing this right?

·
Premium Member
9,664 Posts
Raw is a lower Protein way to feed...by VOLUME. Raw meals range from 12-17% protein. It is the perfect food, no question in my mind, I've been raw feeding for 4 3/4 years, love it, have never looked back, only look forward to what new meats I can find and feed. There are other things in a premade mix that aren't protein, bone, cartilage, etc. They grind up a lot of the animal to make the patties. They need the whole animal to have all the vitamins and amino acids.

Monty thoroughly enjoyed his venison ribs tonight....nice and fresh.

·
Registered
2,778 Posts
So I have found the dry matter calculation. Since this food has 68% moisture, the actual protein level would be 40%? Am I doing this right?
Yes, you're doing this right. Since the protein is listed as "minimum 13%" it is probably a bit higher than that. If you add the minimum protein and fat, the moisture, carbohydrate, throw in an estimated 2% for minerals and such... you only come up with 91%. The missing 9% is going to be some more protein and some more fat.

Pre-made this way can be an awfully expensive way to feed. Once you're comfortable, I would suggest you buy a book or two, join a list or two and jump in with both feet...

1 - 4 of 4 Posts