Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi

Has anyone had any experience of this?, my friends bitch was diagnosed last week with only 5 days to whelping, before this she was drinking lots of water and losing weight so off to the vet blood test confirmed what it was, anyway last night she had 4 puppies all alive and doing well,

Pauline

·
Registered
2,330 Posts
I know that humans can get gestational diabetes, didn't know dogs could as well. As if you don't have to worry about when expecting puppies....! Glad to hear that the outcome is good and that the vet was on his/her toes.

·
Registered
1,619 Posts
Glad to hear alls well, did the vet say when to expect the mom to be back to the "normal" range? Or is it cleared up simply after the whelping is over?

·
Still Here Despite Rumour
4,376 Posts
Good to hear the litter came out o.k. Pauline.Tia's aunt had some problems at whelping but i don't think it was diabetes.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
hi

vet said that she may need insulin after lactation as they are not sure what it will do to the pups, the pups are doing well, couple were abit weak but today they are much stronger and doing well so hopefully now they will go from strength to strength, they have had supplemented feeding to help them

Pauline

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
hi

just to add, the vet said she will go back to normal but is not sure how long that will take, will need to do more blood work, basically just to monitor her

Pauline

1 - 7 of 7 Posts